Nations League top spot watch for WC 2022 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League top spot watch for WC 2022

Burj_Alba

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I'm away to look for this but does anyone know the tie-breaker rules?  If Norway and Austria draw, and we win - we would both be on 4W 1D 1L and on 13 points, and very likely on +3 for GD

Aye, GD then goals scored. So it would be good for us to win by a couple of goals, just in case.

Do Norway have a team for this game? Their last one got cancelled.

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, GD then goals scored. So it would be good for us to win by a couple of goals, just in case.

Do Norway have a team for this game? Their last one got cancelled.

I am trying to find confirmation of this and can't find anything, I hope it does for our footballing sake, but I understand the concern and fear with Covid

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If the World Cup increases to 48 teams as rumoured from 2026 it would boost our chances.

(Although it would ruin the tournament IMO).

It's happening but don't think europe will actually get that many more places, maybe up to about 15. Expansion will have more teams from Africa and Asia.

53 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

With the greatest respect, if you take out san Marino, Gibraltar etc, that leaves about 48 countries vying for 16 places. Surely Scotland can be in the running most years for one of those 16 places.

We are currently ranked about 25th -ish. 

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

16 for Europe. So, only 3 more places.

Interesting to see format with nations league. Without it it would be 10 group winners through and 5 through in play offs. Best 2nd placed team also qualifies like good old days in 98 qualifying so best 3rd placed team gets put in play offs in their place.

Not sure what they'll come up with for play off system with nations league.

Edit: Or even more simple, best two 2nd place teams go through automatically and remaining 8 go into play offs! Was trying to remember what the actual format was for France 98, think it was two best runners up but can't remember the other nation.

Edited by Tartan Chris

14 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Interesting to see format with nations league. Without it it would be 10 group winners through and 5 through in play offs. Best 2nd placed team also qualifies like good old days in 98 qualifying so best 3rd placed team gets put in play offs in their place.

Not sure what they'll come up with for play off system with nations league.

I think it will be pretty similar to 2022. Next year the 10 runners up join with 2 Nations League group winners into two rounds of play-offs for the final 3 World Cup spots.

For 2026 they could do the exact same but only have one round of play-offs to decide the final 6 teams to qualify. 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think it will be pretty similar to 2022. Next year the 10 runners up join with 2 Nations League group winners into two rounds of play-offs for the final 3 World Cup spots.

For 2026 they could do the exact same but only have one round of play-offs to decide the final 6 teams to qualify. 

Or, they might go for 8 groups, top two qualify? There are loads of permutations they could go for. I think they will come up with something which keeps the Nations League playoff spots alive though.

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Or, they might go for 8 groups, top two qualify? There are loads of permutations they could go for. I think they will come up with something which keeps the Nations League playoff spots alive though.

That'd see a return to 7 team groups, memories of the marathon Euro2008 campaign.  Can't see that happening without the Nations League being binned.

16 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That'd see a return to 7 team groups, memories of the marathon Euro2008 campaign.  Can't see that happening without the Nations League being binned.

Aye, I think you are right and they would want to have some sort of playoff format as that adds an extra bit of interest to the competition.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Think they will definitely keep the playoffs one way or another. Big money earner for them and more teams involved. might be able to make the draw more favorable if one of the "big teams" don't qualify automatically. 

On 11/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, Toepoke said:

we certainly don't want the nations league to be binned.  Looking forward to that in for Euro2024.

Anyone know when the next draw for the nations league is?  Will pop in my calendar.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, Toepoke said:

Would love to see 31 groups of seven teams from a worldwide mix to get rid of the uneven playing field that is designed to ensure a spread of world wide teams in the finals. Added bonus of some very tasty away trips.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would love to see 31 groups of seven teams from a worldwide mix to get rid of the uneven playing field that is designed to ensure a spread of world wide teams in the finals. Added bonus of some very tasty away trips.

Tbh I think I'd prefer that to the 3 team group nonsense they've got planned for 2026.

64 team finals with a straight knock-out from the off.