Nations League top spot watch for WC 2022 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League top spot watch for WC 2022

Burj_Alba

so reviewing the other groups, we are currently 3rd in third 1st placed teams in league B, at BEST we can only move up to second at best which is pretty decent as long as we win and another game goes our way.  Tomorrow I'll be keeping an eye on the Austria Norway game and hoping for a Norway win, if Latvia and Norway draw I am not sure how that works out.  Wait Norway and Romania was cancelled, anyone know who gets what in that game?

Edited by romanticscot

Seems its going to go to a UEFA ethics committee and most likely Romania will be awarded a 3 nil win, so if Norway didnt travel to Romania, its very likely they also wont travel to Latvia in which came Latvia will win their group........bummer  as at best we would be 3rd placed in League B.  I fancy Norway to get a play off spot in the regular qualifiers over Latvia so that's not great for us.  

There will still be the usual qualification process for Euro 2024 in Germany so it's likely that at least 20 teams will qualify through that (top 2 each group), maybe 21 if they include Germany's place and as rumored the Path D team don't get a spot. Putting that aside you could argue that out with the Path D teams (Georgia, N.Macedonia, Kosovo and Belarus) there was little between the countries in the other play offs regardless of which Path they were in:

Path A:  Iceland, Bulgaria, Hungary and Bulgaria
Path B: Bosnia, Slovakia, N.ireland and Rep. Ireland
Path C: Scotland, Israel, Serbia and Norway

The biggest thing for Scotland is firstly hopefully getting promoted tomorrow in the Nations League which potentially gives us a World Cup 2022 play off (which could be huge as we are still going to be in Pot 3 for that qualifying) berth but maybe morseo better seedings by the time the Euro 2024 qualifying begins. We are headed for Pot 2 in that and given 17 of the 20 Pot 1 and 2 teams qualified automatically for Euro 2020 (Iceland, Bosnia and the Czech Republic missed out) it shows the advantage of the better seeding. For instance instead of of us having Belgium and Russia the Welsh had Croatia and Slovakia given their 2nd pot seeding. With the improvements we are showing and the experience the squad will get next summer we really need to be targeting automatic qualification for the 2024 Germany Euro's.

Edited by Hendricks

So to state the bloody obvious. 

A must win tonight.

I also feel we need to get the Israeli monkey off our back. (I know we have beaten them but that was close and we progressed thanks to penalties). 
Over the 5 games we have played them, there really is nothing between us. 

A good strong performance required tonight. Stop putting us fans through the ringer. And no offence to Israel, but we need to beating these similar teams away from home if we want any hope of Automatic WC qualification (or playoffs).

J

34 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

So to state the bloody obvious. 

A must win tonight.

I also feel we need to get the Israeli monkey off our back. (I know we have beaten them but that was close and we progressed thanks to penalties). 
Over the 5 games we have played them, there really is nothing between us. 

A good strong performance required tonight. Stop putting us fans through the ringer. And no offence to Israel, but we need to beating these similar teams away from home if we want any hope of Automatic WC qualification (or playoffs).

J

Exactly this. Strong winning mentality tonight, as Jack said we shouldn’t just be happy with are lot and sitting still. If we want to be taken seriously we have to beat teams like Israel and not just content to make the euros.I was annoyed with the missed chances on Sunday given how well we played. No fkin about tonight please.

16 hours ago, Hendricks said:

There will still be the usual qualification process for Euro 2024 in Germany so it's likely that at least 20 teams will qualify through that (top 2 each group), maybe 21 if they include Germany's place and as rumored the Path D team don't get a spot. Putting that aside you could argue that out with the Path D teams (Georgia, N.Macedonia, Kosovo and Belarus) there was little between the countries in the other play offs regardless of which Path they were in:

Path A:  Iceland, Bulgaria, Hungary and Bulgaria
Path B: Bosnia, Slovakia, N.ireland and Rep. Ireland
Path C: Scotland, Israel, Serbia and Norway

The biggest thing for Scotland is firstly hopefully getting promoted tomorrow in the Nations League which potentially gives us a World Cup 2022 play off (which could be huge as we are still going to be in Pot 3 for that qualifying) berth but maybe morseo better seedings by the time the Euro 2024 qualifying begins. We are headed for Pot 2 in that and given 17 of the 20 Pot 1 and 2 teams qualified automatically for Euro 2020 (Iceland, Bosnia and the Czech Republic missed out) it shows the advantage of the better seeding. For instance instead of of us having Belgium and Russia the Welsh had Croatia and Slovakia given their 2nd pot seeding. With the improvements we are showing and the experience the squad will get next summer we really need to be targeting automatic qualification for the 2024 Germany Euro's.

Yeah automatic qualification for euro 2024 should be a long term goal and with the steady improvement it's realistic.

Sometimes it's just a numbers thing. You pretty much halve the list of qualifiers from euros to a world cup. 24 this time compared to 13 for Qatar.

If we take Spain, England, France, Belgium, Italy (o.k they missed out last time for first in ages but very consistant results since), Germany as certs to make it based on historical record and pool of players that's nearly half of teams right there. Then you add in Holland and Portugal who may make it or be in play offs but then missing out on world cups is still pretty rare event (think Portugal last failed to make a world cup in 1998 despite many play offs since).

Up to 8 teams and then you have likes of Swiss,Croatia, Denmark and Sweden who make it more often than not.

It is very very tough to make a world cup nowadays if you're outside of the elite. None of Wales or the two Irelands could make last world cup despite all making at least last 16 at Euro 2016.

Iceland were the ones to buck that trend but there's a time limit to that with squads getting old and I think they'll fall back now down the group. They'd be an ideal pot 2 team imo although not sure if they'll still be in there for the draw given their poor results over last year.

Edited by Tartan Chris

There's no doubt in my mind that qualifying for a World Cup is next to an impossibility for the likes of us, but our chances improve as the UEFA spots increase and we improve, but we fight and do our best and a play off offers us the most probable route if it were to happen.

Then again if we had a favorable draw, which would be a massive if, but if we had Croatia and Austria as the top two seeds - we have every right to believe it is something to aim for. 

11 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

There's no doubt in my mind that qualifying for a World Cup is next to an impossibility for the likes of us, but our chances improve as the UEFA spots increase and we improve, but we fight and do our best and a play off offers us the most probable route if it were to happen.

Then again if we had a favorable draw, which would be a massive if, but if we had Croatia and Austria as the top two seeds - we have every right to believe it is something to aim for. 

I think I'd rather have Slovakia if they hold onto their pot 2 place. 

34 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

If the World Cup increases to 48 teams as rumoured from 2026 it would boost our chances.

(Although it would ruin the tournament IMO).

It's not rumoured mate it's confirmed. 48 teams will compete at the 2026 World Cup and UEFA will get 16 places. There will be 16 groups of 3 teams (2 guaranteed matches) but 32 teams will qualify for the knockout stage. All explained here......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

Not related to "top spot watch" but a stinker of a week for Northern Ireland...lost in the play-off final and relegated to League B before they play tonight because Romania have been awarded a 3-0 win against Norway.  A win would have been enough for them tonight, assuming Norway had beaten Romania in the match which was cancelled. 

27 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

It's not rumoured mate it's confirmed. 48 teams will compete at the 2026 World Cup and UEFA will get 16 places. There will be 16 groups of 3 teams (2 guaranteed matches) but 32 teams will qualify for the knockout stage. All explained here......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

Right enough, I'd forgotten about that. In my defence there's been a lot of other stuff happening :-))

Edit...checking back I started a feckin thread about it in 2018 :oops:

Edited by Toepoke

Interesting night ahead in B3, particularly for Turkey who can still finish -

• 1st (Turkey and Serbia win)
  • 2nd (Turkey win, Russia win or draw)
  • 3rd (Turkey draw; or Turkey lose and Russia win or draw), or
  • 4th (Hungary and Serbia win)

I love the Nations League! 

Other winner takes all matches tonight in tier C

Albania beat Belarus 3-2 to finish top 

Armenia V North Macedonia ( 0-0 currently ) Armenia need to win, the Macs need a draw.

Greece V Slovenia ( later but Greece needs to win, Slovenia need a draw. 

as you said, I love the Nations League