Tierney - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tierney

prideothenorth

Have suspected for a while now that Tierney is more of a threat down the left than Robertson and today certainly gave me no reason to change my mind. He also has a good understanding with Christie and McGregor having played with them at Celtic. Would Clarke dare to swap them over?

2 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

Have suspected for a while now that Tierney is more of a threat down the left than Robertson and today certainly gave me no reason to change my mind. He also has a good understanding with Christie and McGregor having played with them at Celtic. Would Clarke dare to swap them over?

I do think we should at least try Robertson at RB one time. Tierney's attacking game is very much a case of driving down the left an whipping in excellent crosses. Robertson has a great left foot cross to but I see his style more a case of finding short sharp interchanging passes to release the attackers. He should be able to do that on the right hand side too.

It's great that there's no friendlies any more, but it does make it difficult to try out new formations and tactics.

At risk of being controversial - Tierney arguably a better player than Robertson?
He was our best player and biggest goal threat this afternoon.
However as is he 4 years younger, and plays for less fashionable teams, he has not yet had the same level of recognition.

Would be a crime to leave either of them out the team.

3 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

At risk of being controversial - Tierney arguably a better player than Robertson?
He was our best player and biggest goal threat this afternoon.
However as is he 4 years younger, and plays for less fashionable teams, he has not yet had the same level of recognition.

Would be a crime to leave either of them out the team.

Not suggesting for a minute to leave either out, was wondering if Robertson could play in the back three. Surely an attacking player like Tierney should be encouraged to get forward at every opportunity.

For all that some like to go on about Tierney "not being interested" in playing for Scotland, he looked like he was really into it yesterday :ok:

Pity we just couldn't fecking score :worried:

If Robertson does have a minor injury then don't risk him against Israel. Let Tierney continue on the left. It's about time he had a run there.

I thought robertson had a good game against Serbia. He should of done better with his shot that he blasted over the bar but he was defensively sound. Ppls expectations on robertson are unrealistic, he's not a player who is going to single handedly win matches. I think we should stick with Tierney at lcb and Robertson at lwb as it allows us to have two of our star players in the side. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I thought robertson had a good game against Serbia. He should of done better with his shot that he blasted over the bar but he was defensively sound. Ppls expectations on robertson are unrealistic, he's not a player who is going to single handedly win matches. I think we should stick with Tierney at lcb and Robertson at lwb as it allows us to have two of our star players in the side. 

I fully agree here with you.

There is absolutely no need to change anything on that front. Yesterdat just told us what we already knew - we have two great options for left-back/left-wing back at the moment. Going forward, at present, I'd say our best defence was the one that started V Serbia.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I fully agree here with you.

There is absolutely no need to change anything on that front. Yesterdat just told us what we already knew - we have two great options for left-back/left-wing back at the moment. Going forward, at present, I'd say our best defence was the one that started V Serbia.

The two have only started playing together so theres a good chance they will develop a good onfield relationship and then we will see the best from robertson. Robertson until recently has been playing in shocking defences and Scotland teams that have been struggling. Lets cut him some slack and let him enjoy being part of a better side. We are lucky to have both Tierney and Robertson. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The two have only started playing together so theres a good chance they will develop a good onfield relationship and then we will see the best from robertson. Robertson until recently has been playing in shocking defences and Scotland teams that have been struggling. Lets cut him some slack and let him enjoy being part of a better side. We are lucky to have both Tierney and Robertson. 

Agreed. In any case Robertson has done just fine in the last few games. If it ain't broke don't mend it. Robertson and Tierney to remain where they play for us just now. What Tierney is, I'd say, is more versatile so moving Tierney is okay but then it means you have to drop Robertson as he cannot play in a back three.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed. In any case Robertson has done just fine in the last few games. If it ain't broke don't mend it. Robertson and Tierney to remain where they play for us just now. What Tierney is, I'd say, is more versatile so moving Tierney is okay but then it means you have to drop Robertson as he cannot play in a back three.

Another positive is they could be together for potentially the next 8 years depending on how long robertson chooses to play international football. 

Everyone knows what i'd do with Andrew Robertson.

And that remains the case.

I mean, when we're playing a midfielder (McTominay) in defence, a left-back (Tierney) as a center back and a midfielder (Christie/Fraser) as a striker, that should prove that players are versatile. Robertson is world-class, he can play anywhere and not look out of place.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Think I’d swap the two around. Robbo LCB and Tierney Left Wing Back.

J

If you were only picking one, I think KT is the better player.

However, we should have them both in the team, and the best way to do that is KT at LCB and AR at LWB.

I think we really missed KT and McTominay in CB yesterday because of their ability to bring the ball out from the back.  There was a spell against Serbia where those two players created two half chances for us within a few minutes of each other.  

35 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I don't want to come over all chripperish but I got a lot of heat for daring to say Tierney was better than Robertson. I'm still open to the argument that he's not but I'm glad it's not so controversial now. 🙂

I think plenty of people have had the opinion for a long time.

I think most people also accepted that KT would need to do it at a higher level than Celtic to prove it.

39 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I don't want to come over all chripperish but I got a lot of heat for daring to say Tierney was better than Robertson. I'm still open to the argument that he's not but I'm glad it's not so controversial now. 🙂

I’m not sure I’d agree that he’s a better player just yet but he certainly has the potential to be. 

He’s certainly more versatile than Robertson but whether he’s better or not is subjective at this stage. 

They are both still young men and a lot can can happen in a short space of time. Tierney is still a good bit behind Robertson at the moment based on what they have achieved in the game but obviously that’s not the only measure of how good a player is. 

The main thing for me is they are both brilliant players and Clarke has managed to find a system to accommodate both of them while still making the most of their talent. 

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed.

What we had V Serbia works just fine. Why change it? That, for me, should be the defensive line-up going forward as in O'Donnell, Gallagher, McTominay, Tierney and Robertson.

totally agree found away in the sebia to play the both why not continue with that?