For old times sake. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

For old times sake.

This is trending on twitter. Considering many moons ago we argued on here for what seemed like months dividing by zero, what answer do folk get.

In honour of FE coming back temporarily as one of the original participants of the /0 "debates"

Not sure when BODMAS became BIDMAS mind you.

At the risk of getting involved in a pointless argument I get the answer to be 1.

The eleven square miles thing was an argument about an area of the Amazon jungle where a real live baby t-rex had been seen. I can't really remember the gist of the discussion, only that our favourite conspiracy theorist was arguing blind with me that an area 11 miles long and 11 miles wide was 11 square miles.

Quite why we were arguing about the area of jungle rather than the veracity of the baby t-rex claims, I can't remember.

And philosophically referencing calculus, with the numerator equal to one, as the denominator trends towards zero the answer trends towards infinity. 1/0.1 = 10. 1/0.01 = 100. 1/0.001= 1000 etc. Only a pedant would disagree that 1/0 wasn't equal to the mathematical concept of "infinity".

Oh aye, and its not "math", its "maths".

FFS how do you cope with the screen jumping all over the place every time the board throws a new advert at you? 

3 minutes ago, Flat Earth said:

And philosophically referencing calculus, with the numerator equal to one, as the denominator trends towards zero the answer trends towards infinity. 1/0.1 = 10. 1/0.01 = 100. 1/0.001= 1000 etc. Only a pedant would disagree that 1/0 wasn't equal to the mathematical concept of "infinity".

Just now, Flat Earth said:

Oh aye, and its not "math", its "maths".

FFS how do you cope with the screen jumping all over the place every time the board throws a new advert at you? 

Ad Blocker

1 hour ago, Flat Earth said:

At the risk of getting involved in a pointless argument I get the answer to be 1.

The eleven square miles thing was an argument about an area of the Amazon jungle where a real live baby t-rex had been seen. I can't really remember the gist of the discussion, only that our favourite conspiracy theorist was arguing blind with me that an area 11 miles long and 11 miles wide was 11 square miles.

Quite why we were arguing about the area of jungle rather than the veracity of the baby t-rex claims, I can't remember.

oh yeah it was an April fools joke that they thought was real cause it would confirm his young earth theory.

20 minutes ago, phart said:

the answer is 9

6/2x(2+1)

6/2x3

3x3

That must be using american math. When I did maths the order would be brackets first, then multiplication takes precedence over division.

If they wanted us to do the division before the multiplication then the 6/2  bit should be in brackets (6/2).

Conventions may have changed though. It was long time ago.

19 minutes ago, phart said:

the answer is 9

6/2x(2+1)

6/2x3

3x3

I got 9 too but I’m not good at these things so didn’t say.

BIDMAS - Brackets, Indesis, Division, Multiply, Addition, Subtract

Brackets - 2+1 = 3

No indesis

Division - 6/2 = 3

Multiply - 3x3 = 9

No addition

No subtract

So answer still is 9?

That might be a crazy way to work it out. I used to help my daughter out and was often wrong. Not really my subject.

Mixed division and multiplication[edit]

Similarly, there can be ambiguity in the use of the slash symbol / in expressions such as 1/2x.[12] If one rewrites this expression as 1 ÷ 2x and then interprets the division symbol as indicating multiplication by the reciprocal, this becomes:

1 ÷ 2 × x = 1 × 1/2 × x = 1/2 × x.

With this interpretation 1 ÷ 2x is equal to (1 ÷ 2)x.[1][8] However, in some of the academic literature, multiplication denoted by juxtaposition (also known as implied multiplication) is interpreted as having higher precedence than division, so that 1 ÷ 2x equals 1 ÷ (2x), not (1 ÷ 2)x. For example, the manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash,[22] and this is also the convention observed in prominent physics textbooks such as the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifshitz and the Feynman Lectures on Physics.[d]