Serbs on social media - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Serbs on social media

weekevie04

11 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

They've been great banter, and so gracious towards us.

What about the ones that don't speak English, and therefore don't turn up in the Scottish social media?

11 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Absolute brilliant!

They've been great banter, and so gracious towards us.

If there are any Serbs on here, cheers and hopefully you'll get to the next Euros and the World Cup - that's some squad you've got, and it will click.

Sláinte/Živeli

They should be at the euros given the squad they have. They looked ordinary on Thursday so they must be getting managed poorly or some other problem. 

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

They should be at the euros given the squad they have. They looked ordinary on Thursday so they must be getting managed poorly or some other problem. 

Not sure about that. They have 3 or 4 very good players and some distinctly average other ones.

There’s a reason they are bottom of their Nations League group and that they didn’t qualify from their group. Management is likely an issue but maybe they are just not as good as they think?

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Not sure about that. They have 3 or 4 very good players and some distinctly average other ones.

There’s a reason they are bottom of their Nations League group and that they didn’t qualify from their group. Management is likely an issue but maybe they are just not as good as they think?

You could say the same about us. From an outsiders view our squad would be seen as average.

They have 5 or 6 really talented players like us but they do have a full squad of players playing at a high level. Alot of small countries would love to have their squad. 

They certainly have a stronger squad on paper than us. We have a great manager who has us playing a system that brings the best out of limited players. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You could say the same about us. From an outsiders view our squad would be seen as average.

They have 5 or 6 really talented players like us but they do have a full squad of players playing at a high level. Alot of small countries would love to have their squad. 

They certainly have a stronger squad on paper than us. We have a great manager who has us playing a system that brings the best out of limited players. 

Absolutely but nobody would be saying “we should be at the Euros” if we had lost last night. 

Serbia should not be at the Euros. They’ve hardly won a game in a year. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely but nobody would be saying “we should be at the Euros” if we had lost last night. 

Serbia should not be at the Euros. They’ve hardly won a game in a year. 

I ain't saying they deserve to be at the euros. I was saying they should from their point of view be achieving qualification with the squad at their disposal. It's underachieving from them. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I ain't saying they deserve to be at the euros. I was saying they should from their point of view be achieving qualification with the squad at their disposal. It's underachieving from them. 

Why should they be? Because they’ve got a striker that plays for Fulham and a few other decent players? They’re not good enough I’m afraid.  

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Why should they be? Because they’ve got a striker that plays for Fulham and a few other decent players? They’re not good enough I’m afraid.  

Because they have a squad that is stronger than a good few of the countries in the euros. I don't really understand what problem you have understanding what I have said. It's easy, if a country who have good players and a strong squad is losing constantly and not qualifying while worse teams on paper are qualifying and winning then that comes down to bad management and other problems like poor team spirit etc. 

I never said they are good enough. Infact I have said the opposite. 

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Because they have a squad that is stronger than a good few of the countries in the euros. I don't really understand what problem you have understanding what I have said. It's easy, if a country who have good players and a strong squad is losing constantly and not qualifying while worse teams on paper are qualifying and winning then that comes down to bad management and other problems like poor team spirit etc. 

I never said they are good enough. Infact I have said the opposite. 

I understand what you’re saying. I just think you are possibly overestimating how good the Serbians are. They qualified for the last World Cup but they are obviously nowhere near that good now. They probably think they are still that good but they aren’t. Complacency I think it’s called. 🤔

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I understand what you’re saying. I just think you are possibly overestimating how good the Serbians are. They qualified for the last World Cup but they are obviously nowhere near that good now. They probably think they are still that good but they aren’t. Complacency I think it’s called. 🤔

Lol So basically you haven't understood anything I have said. I ain't overestimating them or claiming they are a good side. I have said their squad should be getting better results. They have a stronger squad on paper than a fair few of the teams at the euros but they ain't there due to bad management. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol So basically you haven't understood anything I have said. I ain't overestimating them or claiming they are a good side. I have said their squad should be getting better results. They have a stronger squad on paper than a fair few of the teams at the euros but they ain't there due to bad management. 

I don’t think so. I think I have understood you pretty well. 

I think it just demonstrates how high the standards are nowadays. Nobody is denying they have players playing in top leagues but far too much is written into this. How are they doing there? Are they at teams struggling to avoid relegation? Are they first team regulars or bench warmers at those clubs? Remember we had Ollie Burke in the Bundesliga and David Bates but it does not necessarily make them world class.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Yet they're 15 places above us in the world rankings, a team that hasn't lost in a year. That's why the wr's are a load of shit

Presumably Serbia were a bit higher than 30th a year ago? We were certainly lower than 45th a year ago. We’ve had too many draws and wins against lower ranked teams to make a significant climb though.

The rankings are indeed shite though and are becoming less and less relevant. 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

They lack consistancy massively.

They've actually qualified for two of the last three world cups and that's very difficult to do for mid ranking team nowadays with just 13 places on offer for world cups from europe. Not made a euros since 2000 I think when they were Yugoslavia.

Compare that to Croatia who make pretty much every tournament.

Must admit I swallowed the hype a bit of looking at their squad and seeing 5-6 at really good clubs. They were bang average on Thursday which surprised me. Probably missed the crowd a bit.

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I think they were made to look bang average by a brilliant Scotland team performance. This was a side that did a number on Norway not that long ago.

I like your positivity but Norway are pretty average as well (although they have one brilliant player). 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I like your positivity but Norway are pretty average as well (although they have one brilliant player). 

Good enough to take 5 off N Ireland in Belfast.  Not many teams have done that.

TBH I've had most of my glass-half-full positivity beaten out of me down the years to the extent where I now expect the worst, but credit where it's due.  The team were magnificent on Thursday.  And that's what they're starting to look like: a TEAM.  A group of guys that'd run through a brick wall for each other.

I would've settled for a win on penalties after going through the wringer, but that should've been a relaxing 2 or 3 goal victory and that says a lot about the performance.

14 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Good enough to take 5 off N Ireland in Belfast.  Not many teams have done that.

TBH I've had most of my glass-half-full positivity beaten out of me down the years to the extent where I now expect the worst, but credit where it's due.  The team were magnificent on Thursday.  And that's what they're starting to look like: a TEAM.  A group of guys that'd run through a brick wall for each other.

I would've settled for a win on penalties after going through the wringer, but that should've been a relaxing 2 or 3 goal victory and that says a lot about the performance.

True enough but they only beat NI 1-0 at home and they lost to Austria. Inconsistent would be the best way to describe them which is often the hallmark of a one man team. If Haaland plays well Norway normally get a good result.

Not that I’m taking anything away from our performance on Thursday. We were excellent.

39 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

four players in the Bundesliga, two in Seria A and one at Real Madrid.

Its all hugely subjective as to what constitutes a good team but outside the top 10 rankings, who we can describe as excellent international teams,  teams ranked up to 50 or 60 are generally pretty decent outfits, who can be bordering on "good" from one campaign to the next if they click and get a run going. Serbia, Norway and dare I say it, Scotland all fall into that category. 

16 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

four players in the Bundesliga, two in Seria A and one at Real Madrid.

Its all hugely subjective as to what constitutes a good team but outside the top 10 rankings, who we can describe as excellent international teams,  teams ranked up to 50 or 60 are generally pretty decent outfits, who can be bordering on "good" from one campaign to the next if they click and get a run going. Serbia, Norway and dare I say it, Scotland all fall into that category. 

The point I was making is Norway are not that great. They are the same level as Serbia and Scotland. If they were that good they would not have needed the playoffs and they certainly wouldn’t have lost to Serbia.

The Bundesliga isn’t any better than the EPL and we have a good few players in that league. Does that make us a great team?