Slovakia v Scotland - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It's ridiculously hard to speculate about who will or won't be our playoff rivals before the WC draw. But I think it would probably be a good thing if Russia win their nations league group, as they would likely be in the top 2. Same goes for Norway, who are on the ascendancy. So if Russia and Norway both win their groups, it'll boost our chances of getting the playoff spot.

(Fyi, I think we'll be able to qualify through the normal route anyway)

I dont think Norway will be winning their group. Their game off today away to Romania as Norwegian Government wouldn’t let them travel so looks like they will be handed a 3-0 defeat. They have had to call up a completely new squad of foreign based players for their game away to Austria.

Russia, Wales and Austria the teams to look at.

10 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

I dont think Norway will be winning their group. Their game off today away to Romania as Norwegian Government wouldn’t let them travel so looks like they will be handed a 3-0 defeat. They have had to call up a completely new squad of foreign based players for their game away to Austria.

Russia, Wales and Austria the teams to look at.

If you look at the overall ranking of the teams of group B we seem to be the best so far, but losing today will likley knock us down behind wales if they pick up any points  today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_UEFA_Nations_League_B

26 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The abuse that McBurnie takes is way, way over the top...

...he linked up well, he worked hard, he won his fair share in the air both offensively and defensively...unfortunately right now he cant seem to buy a goal, and his confidence is clearly at rock bottom 

You are a fucking zoomer along with some other muppets on here.  get real he is pish and thats why we lost. Anyone else up front snd we win that game

Edited by irnbruman

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Israel is not as strong as Slovakia whatever this group placings stay. Given how little Clarke used his subs I think Jack, McGregor, McTom and Dykes back from suspension will all start so back to near full strength (not sure Robbo will be risked as Liverpool hardly have any defenders fit).

Not sure about that - they have Zahravi who scores for fun and has destroyed us before. Plus Dabbur and Solomon play at a high level.

Still miffed about the game. We shouldn’t have gotten beat at the very least. I said in about October time before the fixtures started up again that I wasn’t having mcburnie. He’s probably a lovely lad and don’t want to be too personal but I can just tell by the way he moves, he’s just miles off what’s required for this level.Whoever bought him for 20 odd million is arguably the problem. Forcing the manager to pick him cause he’s meant to be worth 20 mill. Not a chance. 

22 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Haha sorry, I meant finishing in the top 2 and getting a playoff spot that way.

To be honest, our luck has been so bad the last 2 decades that we are long overdue a favourable draw. But no doubt we'll end up with world cup and Euro finalists again.

We have had some good draws and still not qualified because we were pish.

6 minutes ago, JECK said:

Still miffed about the game. We shouldn’t have gotten beat at the very least. I said in about October time before the fixtures started up again that I wasn’t having mcburnie. He’s probably a lovely lad and don’t want to be too personal but I can just tell by the way he moves, he’s just miles off what’s required for this level.Whoever bought him for 20 odd million is arguably the problem. Forcing the manager to pick him cause he’s meant to be worth 20 mill. Not a chance. 

He scored a lot for Swansea in the Championship - a good level  - and that's why he got his move to Sheff. U.

7 minutes ago, JECK said:

It was  better performance than some of the games we didn't lose in our recent run and that was with a far weaker team So it's not all bad.

7 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Its not extreme .its a fact.

I’ve no really been around this board for a while.

You’re the guy from Blackpool right? You used to be a good poster on here. Your profile appears to have been hijacked by some juvenile, huffy wee ned.

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Away and bile yer heid.  Absolute zoomer and no idea about football.  Stick to the Irn Bru.

Tut Tut, RH.

You never insult other posters on here now, do you?

After all, we're all Jock Tamson's Bairns, stand free and all the rest etc etc etc

I was impressed by Slovakia and their team mentality today.  They were on us for the whole game and we never got a minute.  Needed a wee bit of luck or a special goal like they got but unfortunately it never came.  Still, we are making progress and I am happy at that.  Can't believe some so called 'supporters' are picking on one player.  If they are that bad they should pick on Steve Clarke for showing faith in the boy.  I thought he had a decent game but just needs to burst the net instead of passing.  But the loonies will prevail over our manager I suppose.  So stand on 🌙

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We have had some good draws and still not qualified because we were pish.

True. But when the draw coincided with Scotland having a decent squad, we'd be presented with Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Belgium etc at their best. So I assume we'll be drawn in the group of death just because we are looking the best we have in years.

13 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Its not extreme .its a fact.

He’s an easy target but he didn’t pick himself. Clarke picked him so if anyone’s to blame it’s him.

I’m not a fan of McBurnie but Clarke has seen plenty of him close up and has seen enough to play him. It didn’t work out.

He gets my respect for the penalty he took the other night and the joy he showed afterwards. I’d play others before him but to blame him for us losing today isn’t right.

Surely we still have a very good chance of a play off via this route assuming we beat Israel on Wednesday. 

As it stands the 4 group A winners are Netherlands, France, Belgium and Germany. It's fair to assume they or whoever wins their groups will finish in the top 2 positions of their WC qualifying group. 

In the nations league B, it now looks like Russia's group winner won't hit 13 points so only the other 2 group winners will potentially finish above us, which look like Wales and Austria or Norway. So, as long as one of those group winners (Wales or Austria/Norway) finish in the top 2 of their group then we will be fine. 

I get it's difficult to predict without the World Cup qualifying draw, I'm just making the point that it still looks good for us. 

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

OK so in terms of our WC play off chances...

Wales currently winning not good.

Russia currently losing good.

Need Norn Irn to create a wee upset in Austria tonight.

Oh aye, and we need to beat Israel.

Aye, that's the important bit.

I thought we played well in spells. We probably created more chances than we have in recent matches and their keeper was far the busier. We lost to a deflected shot and that was against a team that is seeded and tanked above us also going to the Euros and us with a number of key players not playing.

I get why people are firing pelters at McBurnie and perhaps we'll see Burke, Shankand or Griffiths start V Israel. However, it just shows that up top we need to find new better options. The defence didn't do too badly but Cooper's passing was poor that gifted Slovakia a chance or two. It tells us the defensive line-up V Serbia is the strongest we have in my opinion at the moment. I thought McLean did pretty well today and our best players were Christie and Tierney. So we lost and it demonstrated what we already knew really. We now have pretty decent defensive cover and midfield is strong but up top we are seriously lacking.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I wouldn't describe Lyndon Dykes form for Livingston last season as having being "amazing" either. Shankland still has to be considered.

Dare I say, that now Shankland is in the top league, that he’s back to being the striker that played for Aberdeen? Knows his level and isnt quite good enough for a consistent step up. 

Edited by dandydunn