Slovakia v Scotland - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

You are only confused because you haven't read the stuff on the UEFA website which explains it. It's pretty straight forward really. You just need to be bothered enough to read some stuff. :ok:

So are we getting a play off berth if we beat Israel

Or are we now relying on others too?

8 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

If I understand correctly, it’s the team with the highest Nations League ranking that misses out. If we win the group, we go into pot A. Therefore we will be the best of the rest. (Assuming most NL pot A teams qualify or get to the playoff through their WC qualifying position.

J

There's four groups in league A and B Those 8 group winners that don't qualify for the play offs will be the two teams that make the play offs via the nations league based on their finishing position in the league over all.

The four league A tams will all be ranked higher than the League B group winners and the best group winners will be decided on points goal difference etc

So winning the group gives you a chance of a play off but the more you win your group by the better your chance

14 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Yes. These NL games we are playing will give us a potential sniff at WC qualification for next year.

Not sure how it will be done. Games at the start of the year. Break for the Euros, more games again after. Won’t be able to play in June like we did last Euro qualifying year as the Euros are on.

J

The WC qualifiers draw is on December 7th.

The games will be played in March, then September to November. They are going to have triple header fixture dates to make up for the Euros taking up the summer.

The play-offs will be in spring 2022, but remember the WC final will be at Xmas time.

10 group winners will qualify, the 10 runners up will enter play offs with the 2 best placed Nations League winners who don't qualify via their WC groups. The play offs will decide the final 3 teams to qualify. 

Edited by Toepoke

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We have enough coaches.

All two are part-time. I'm sure there's room for a third, especially since he's a Scottish legend. A good talker. An inspiration for all Scottish players (look at his medals) and by all accounts (coaching the Man United kids) he's a good coach.

Don't think he'd reject the role.

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

All two are part-time. I'm sure there's room for a third, especially since he's a Scottish legend. A good talker. An inspiration for all Scottish players (look at his medals) and by all accounts (coaching the Man United kids) he's a good coach.

it’s up to the manager... I don’t think we need another.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

We're fine as we are (my earlier post about Zola was in jest). I like Darren Fletcher a lot but the senior team really doesn't need him.

I would be delighted to see the miserable, negative, Billy Stark (who represents everything I detest about Scottish football) removed from his current role as U19s manager. Fletcher would be welcome to send in his CV for that role if we did get rid of Stark and I hope we do.

3 minutes ago, losinkiltpins said:

Reasonable summary apart from McBurnie. He's shown very little to nothing in any the games he's played. He isn't even a regular starter for his club.

Started the last three games for Sheffield United and was't fully fit before that.

Those games were against Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea,stick him back in the championship were he belongs and he might look better.

What could end up being a problem is if, or when QPR give up on Dykes

But you are right he really has done nothing for Scotland so maybe he is just one of those players who can't adapt to international football.

8 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We'd still be relying on others even if we beat Slovakia and Israel. 

The 3 points lost just means we're probably relying on even more teams.

For strikers it’s dykes plus one of Fraser, Christie and griffiths.  If dykes isn’t available I’d play griffiths and either Fraser or christie in any meaningful match.

mcburnie - lots of chances and not good enough.  Wouldn’t shut the door, but would only give him another go in a friendly.

shankland - jury’s out for me.  Need to see how he does this season but not yet convinced.

nisbet - similar, try in a friendly.

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We would have a chance of a playoff spot but we would need wait and see if we are one of the two highest ranked Nations League group winners who haven't finished in the top 2 of their WC group. For that to happen would need enough of the Nations League A group winners and Nations League B winners who are higher ranked than us, to finish in the top two of their WC qualifying groups.

You would expect most (probably all) of the League A winners to that. If we had been the best League B group winner that would have been enough. But after today's defeat that probably won't happen so we might need one or even two other League B winners to also finish in the top two of their WC group. 

The WC groups haven't even been drawn yet so it's hard to predict.

But we will probably need to beat Israel just to give us a chance.

So if I’m reading this thread correctly.....

McBurnie gets into some goal scoring positions but misses = McBurnie is useless.

Griffiths gets into some goal scoring positions but misses = Griffiths really livened things up.

Honest to fuck, the hypocrisy of some folk on here is unbelievable. 
Let’s me make something clear, I’m at the front of the queue on the  McBurnie as a leader of the line experiment has to be over now, but give the poor lad a feckin break. 
I was as frustrated as anyone with his misses today, but I was equally as frustrated with Griffiths first two efforts in a great scoring positions. Same with Armstrong’s miss. Robertson missed a sitter on Thursday. 
I hope for the lad’s sake, Clarke just drops him from his plans, because he’s going to be one of those players that whatever he does he’ll get slated at every opportunity by a section of our support. 
I’m sure he doesn’t, but I hope to hell the poor lad doesn’t read this board.

Some folk are just simply saying they don’t think he’s good enough which is fine, but the vitriol from others is absolutely ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

McBurnie gets into some goal scoring positions but misses = McBurnie is useless.

Griffiths gets into some goal scoring positions but misses = Griffiths really livened things up.

Let’s me make something clear, I’m at the front of the queue on the  McBurnie as a leader of the line experiment has to be over now, but give the poor lad a feckin break. 
I was as frustrated as anyone with his misses today, but I was equally as frustrated with Griffiths first two efforts in a great scoring positions. Same with Armstrong’s miss. Robertson missed a sitter on Thursday. 
I hope for the lad’s sake, Clarke just drops him from his plans, because he’s going to be one of those players that whatever he does he’ll get slated at every opportunity by a section of our support. 

Some folk are just simply saying they don’t think he’s good enough which is fine, but the vitriol from others is absolutely ridiculous. 

Don’t think you’re reading it correctly..

5 minutes ago, Marky said:

They are two very different players ; but I'd pick Griff every day over McBurnie.

McBurnie knocks on a header to space or an opposition player.

Griffiths knocks on a header more than usual to a player on his side.

McBurnie runs about a lot, and takes two or three touches more than any £20m footballer should before scuffing a shot at goal or more than usually gets tackled, ball taken off him or a scuffed shot.

Griffiths runs a fair bit, and rarely takes two or three touches before attempting a shot at goal - often hitting the target.

Good luck to McBurnie and nothing against him personally, but I am of the opinion in 15 odd games, he should be nowhere near starting for us.

Edited by weekevie04

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We would have a chance of a playoff spot but we would need wait and see if we are one of the two highest ranked Nations League group winners who haven't finished in the top 2 of their WC group. For that to happen would need enough of the Nations League A group winners and Nations League B winners who are higher ranked than us, to finish in the top two of their WC qualifying groups.

You would expect most (probably all) of the League A winners to that. If we had been the best League B group winner that would have been enough. But after today's defeat that probably won't happen so we might need one or even two other League B winners to also finish in the top two of their WC group. 

The WC groups haven't even been drawn yet so it's hard to predict.

But we will probably need to beat Israel just to give us a chance.

It's ridiculously hard to speculate about who will or won't be our playoff rivals before the WC draw. But I think it would probably be a good thing if Russia win their nations league group, as they would likely be in the top 2. Same goes for Norway, who are on the ascendancy. So if Russia and Norway both win their groups, it'll boost our chances of getting the playoff spot.

(Fyi, I think we'll be able to qualify through the normal route anyway)

29 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We're fine as we are (my earlier post about Zola was in jest). I like Darren Fletcher a lot but the senior team really doesn't need him.

I would be delighted to see the miserable, negative, Billy Stark (who represents everything I detest about Scottish football) removed from his current role as U19s manager. Fletcher would be welcome to send in his CV for that role if we did get rid of Stark and I hope we do.

I'd definitely like him to be involved in the future. We have a man who has seen it, and won it all, not making the most of his experience would be shameful.

As for Stark. I'd rather have a Darren Fletcher cardboard cutout over Stark.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It's ridiculously hard to speculate about who will or won't be our playoff rivals before the WC draw. But I think it would probably be a good thing if Russia win their nations league group, as they would likely be in the top 2. Same goes for Norway, who are on the ascendancy. So if Russia and Norway both win their groups, it'll boost our chances of getting the playoff spot.

By winning our WC group. Aye OK. I wouldn't mind a half bottle of whatever you've been on. :lol:;)

8 minutes ago, Marky said:

No.  He got presented with an absolute sitter for a first-time finish and didn't seem to have a clue what to do. Three touches later and it's cleared for a corner.

His headed attempt at goal was pathetic as well.  At least McLean made the keeper work by placing the ball to the side of him.

Nobody on here WANTS him to play badly but sadly we're just not seeing anything from him.

3 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The abuse that McBurnie takes is way, way over the top...

...he linked up well, he worked hard, he won his fair share in the air both offensively and defensively...unfortunately right now he cant seem to buy a goal, and his confidence is clearly at rock bottom 

ears Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2015 Bradford City 15 (0)
2015 Chester (loan) 4 (1)
2015 Chester (loan) 10 (4)
2015–2019 Swansea City 58 (22)
2015 Newport County (loan) 3 (3)
2016 Bristol Rovers (loan) 5 (0)
2018 Barnsley (loan) 17 (9)
2019– Sheffield United 43 (6)
National team
2014–2015 Scotland U19[4] 4 (1)
2015–2017 Scotland U21[5] 12 (2)
2018– Scotland[6] 12 (0)

13 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yes, we want the best teams to win their groups with the lowest points possible.

So I’d say it’s probably good the Russia are losing at the moment. 

But yeah it won’t really reveal its self until qualifying is over. 

We need to put ourselves in a decent position by beating Israel. 

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

By winning our WC group. Aye OK. I wouldn't mind a half bottle of whatever you've been on. :lol:;)

Haha sorry, I meant finishing in the top 2 and getting a playoff spot that way.

To be honest, our luck has been so bad the last 2 decades that we are long overdue a favourable draw. But no doubt we'll end up with world cup and Euro finalists again.