Slovakia v Scotland - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Well that ends any hopes we had of sneaking into pot 2.

Was always going to be a long shot.

Still good result in Israel and group will still be won and into Group A and possible pot 2 for future qualifiers e.g 2024.

And actually qualifying for a tournament. Not sure anyone could've asked for more at start of 2020.

32 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

some our defenders dont look comfortable on the ball and want to lump it or square at first chance

not sure that is evidence though just my view on it

I thought the defence did well, thought they looked comfortable and kept Slovakia's chances to long range shots

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Still good result in Israel and group will still be won and into Group A and possible pot 2 for future qualifiers e.g 2024.

And actually qualifying for a tournament. Not sure anyone could've asked for more at start of 2020.

Yeh I would of taken that 6 months ago for sure. I am still over the moon about qualifying and nothing will change that. 

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Oh no still great but just think it a shame the unbeaten run ends and slows tge momentum. It was a game we were the better side in against fellow qualifiers for Euros away from home with a team with so many changes in it.

Ach well,... not often we look so comfortable for so long without getting anything out of it. Some great forward moves especially Tierney but the end product just not there. Griffiths seemed more of a threat in his time on the picth than McBurnie, but it would be good to see some younger stikers getting a chance.

Just now, exile said:

Ach well,... not often we look so comfortable for so long without getting anything out of it. Some great forward moves especially Tierney but the end product just not there. Griffiths seemed more of a threat in his time on the picth than McBurnie, but it would be good to see some younger stikers getting a chance.

Thought Griffiths looked a bit rusty, but as you say, still offered more than McBurnie

1 minute ago, exile said:

Yeh it looked like a glorified training session imo. 

1 minute ago, prideothenorth said:

Got to take our chances which have cost us today and could have cost us on Thursday. Might have to beat Israel now which will not be easy. 

Don't want to sound harsh but that lot were there for the taking today.

Israel is not as strong as Slovakia whatever this group placings stay. Given how little Clarke used his subs I think Jack, McGregor, McTom and Dykes back from suspension will all start so back to near full strength (not sure Robbo will be risked as Liverpool hardly have any defenders fit).

Been a great week & lots of positives today - we create lots of chances now and there’s a lot of belief and resilience about the side and squad.

It’s clear McBurnie isn’t good enough or a good fit for us.

If Griffiths had started we would have won the game.

Onto Wednesday and a win hopefully and top the group - qualification and topping the group in the same week would be fantastic even with the loss today. 

The McBurnie "experiment", if you want to call it that, has well and truly failed. 

Dykes, Griffiths, Shankland and Nisbet have got to be ahead of him from now on.

FFS Shankland was only on for five minutes, hasn't been scoring for Dundee Utd and yet in those five minutes still managed to hold the ball up better than McBurnie did all match !

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The McBurnie "experiment", if you want to call it that, has well and truly failed. 

Dykes, Griffiths, Shankland and Nisbet have got to be ahead of him from now on.

FFS Shankland was only on for five minutes, hasn't been scoring for Dundee Utd and yet in those five minutes still managed to hold the ball up better than McBurnie did all match !

Hopefully Clarke sees this and gives burke and Griffiths more chances. Maybe Shankland as well but he hasn't exactly done amazing so far in the spl. 

Overall, that was a decent-ish performance from a Scotland B team. I thought we looked decent in large spells of that game. The ref wasn't great at all - lots of sneaky and dirty fouls by the Slovaks and of course they are the first to go down like they are shot for a 50/50 ball.

It also shows that without key players, we are rather limited.

My only criticism of Clarke is tediously slow at making changes. 70th minute to make his first change is ridiculous. And then give Shankland about 5 minutes is poor, IMO.

Palmer isn't a good enough starter. I'd argue it would be touch and go even including him in a 23 man squad. Tierney was very good, and if him or Andy get injured, I'm sure he can play left back/wing back and some decent crosses in to the box. McGinn was a wee bit out of sorts, albeit with a few dangerous runs - probably strange having him play all game as well considering his efforts on Thursday.

As for McBurnie, and sorry if this is harsh, but I really never want to see him start a game for us again unless its against San Marino or Gibraltar. He's fine to throw on if we are 2-0 up and to see the game out ; but he's hopeless, and if we had Dykes starting, we may well have won that game. Whilst Griffiths didn't have a great game, he did create two or three chances in his 20 minutes on the pitch, and is much better at holding up the ball.

A missed opportunity, TBH. They weren't great either, although looked half dangerous on the counter when we were overexposed. A shame we didn't get something from that, but we have had our fair share of luck in this group - the two Czech games really so maybe it works itself out in the end. Wouldn't mind a draw tonight between the other two and we can hopefully win the group.

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Israel is not as strong as Slovakia whatever this group placings stay. Given how little Clarke used his subs I think Jack, McGregor, McTom and Dykes back from suspension will all start so back to near full strength (not sure Robbo will be risked as Liverpool hardly have any defenders fit).

Did Israel not beat Slovakia 3-2 after being 2-0 and also took us to penalties so every bit as good as Slovakia if not better 

Agree that if the above mentioned players are back then we have a great chance 

In any other day we could've won 1-4.

Despite the score, we were all over them in the first half, and parts of the 2nd. We created great chances in open play.

We've found a system that we're comfortable with, even making right changes, we still looked really good.

It would've been nice if McBurnie scores.

Christie and Tierney were immense.

I'm taking this as a win.

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Been a great week & lots of positives today - we create lots of chances now and there’s a lot of belief and resilience about the side and squad.

It’s clear McBurnie isn’t good enough or a good fit for us.

If Griffiths had started we would have won the game.

Onto Wednesday and a win hopefully and top the group - qualification and topping the group in the same week would be fantastic even with the loss today. 

Griffiths doesn't have the fitness to start a game. He's a 30 minute impact player, it's all he has left in the tank.

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Overall, that was a decent-ish performance from a Scotland B team. I thought we looked decent in large spells of that game. The ref wasn't great at all - lots of sneaky and dirty fouls by the Slovaks and of course they are the first to go down like they are shot for a 50/50 ball.

It also shows that without key players, we are rather limited.

My only criticism of Clarke is tediously slow at making changes. 70th minute to make his first change is ridiculous. And then give Shankland about 5 minutes is poor, IMO.

Palmer isn't a good enough starter. I'd argue it would be touch and go even including him in a 23 man squad. Tierney was very good, and if him or Andy get injured, I'm sure he can play left back/wing back and some decent crosses in to the box. McGinn was a wee bit out of sorts, albeit with a few dangerous runs - probably strange having him play all game as well considering his efforts on Thursday.

As for McBurnie, and sorry if this is harsh, but I really never want to see him start a game for us again unless its against San Marino or Gibraltar. He's fine to throw on if we are 2-0 up and to see the game out ; but he's hopeless, and if we had Dykes starting, we may well have won that game. Whilst Griffiths didn't have a great game, he did create two or three chances in his 20 minutes on the pitch, and is much better at holding up the ball.

A missed opportunity, TBH. They weren't great either, although looked half dangerous on the counter when we were overexposed. A shame we didn't get something from that, but we have had our fair share of luck in this group - the two Czech games really so maybe it works itself out in the end. Wouldn't mind a draw tonight between the other two and we can hopefully win the group.

Never thought I would ever say this but we missed O'Donnell. Palmer's final ball was more than disappointing. Don't think we have any other right back cover though.