Slovakia v Scotland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Another thing to take into account though is Slovakia go into it feeling exactly the same. They too went through play-off battle with extra-time to qualify so they will be partying and the game will mean less to them as they are bottom of the table and already out.

Yes, seems strange but how on earth is Clarke going to lift them for this match! 😁

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes, seems strange but how on earth is Clarke going to lift them for this match! 😁

Well he was just speaking live from the hotel on Sky Sports News and dropped a big hint at 'a number of changes' to the side. We do have a lot of capable players who have fresh legs in the squad such as Armstrong, Burke, Griffiths, McKenna, Cooper, Considine and Palmer plus McGinn never played the full 90 last night.

19 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I appreciate some may view these next two games as sort of friendlies but I’m sure the best two top teams for the Nations league will are line for a play off place in the World Cup qualifying. Stand to be corrected on that. 

You are correct. We need to go out to try to win these two games.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You are correct. We need to go out to try to win these two games.

Clarke will have then suited and booted and ready to go. Agree we need to win these two matches then we would be 5th in line to a play off place. Assume at least three of the category A ranked group winners ( currently Belgium / Poland/ Portugal or France and Spain )  will finish first or second in the WC qualifiers and the play off place is ours.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

I appreciate some may view these next two games as sort of friendlies but I’m sure the best two top teams for the Nations league will are line for a play off place in the World Cup qualifying. Stand to be corrected on that. 

If anyone views these games as friendlies they must have their head up their erse. Two wins would almost certainly guarantee us a playoff for the next World Cup. 

52 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Just to add, even if we win the two matches, wales could pip us on GD but on paper they have harder matches than us including a possible winner takes all at home to Finland.

Even if Wales do finish above us I think 2 wins will probably be enough for a playoff. I’d be surprised if the four league A group winners don’t finish at least second in their qualifying groups. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If anyone views these games as friendlies they must have their head up their erse. Two wins would almost certainly guarantee us a playoff for the next World Cup. 

You can be pretty sure with two games to go in normal qualification we might be looking at two wins to get a qualifier slot. The won't be against teams of this standard.

55 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Even if we do get the play off place it will be tough to qualify. Alot of the top nations finish second in their group so we could end up playing a Spain or France. 

I agree it’d likely be a difficult tie, but if  Spain don’t win their group I’m an Englishman.

I'd expect a few changes, with Dykes being suspended and a couple of others with minimal injuries and probably tiredness. Do we go with McBurnie up top or is their 70 mins in Griffiths before we look at a change. Do we go with Burke purely to run the back line ragged? If Robertson misses out do we play Tierney at LB or go with Greg Taylor and keep Tierney at LCB in a perhaps settled back 3 with Gallagher and McTominay? Can Gallagher produce another display like he did for 120 mins and remain fit enough to last 90 mins. Does Armstrong start alongside Christie and McGregor or does McGinn retain his place despite injury fears. Marshall, O'Donnell, Jack, and McTominay all  start this game without question and they've all put in big performances which have answered most of their critics. Consistency is key with a settled squad and winning mentality which can only breed confidence going into games. Looking forward to seeing the lineups and hopefully another win on Sunday. Stevie Clarke has done a fantastic job and certainly answered a few boo boys

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Even if we do get the play off place it will be tough to qualify. Alot of the top nations finish second in their group so we could end up playing a Spain or France. 

Sooner have that avenue open than not though. That is why we can't afford to take our eye off the ball in these next two matches.

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You can be pretty sure with two games to go in normal qualification we might be looking at two wins to get a qualifier slot. The won't be against teams of this standard.

I’m not sure I understand you. 

We can’t beat Slovakia and Israel?

Am I right in saying that if Czech Rep and Israel draw tomorrow then we’ve won the group? If Czechs draw tomorrow then win their last game, they’ll finish on 10 points, even if we lose both games we’ll have 10 points but will beat Czechs on head to head. If Israel draw then win their last game they can only finish on 9 points. 

Obviously, none of this matters if we win first!