Slovakia v Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

After last night's heroics and emotion, hard to believe we have another important matches just a couple of days away.

Think there will be changes due to level of knackeredness ,suspensions ( Dykes) and injuries ( Robertson says he had a tight hamstring after the match, McGinn )

Good thing is the squad members will be doubly focused to ensure they will "be on the plane" next June.

Team? ( formation will be the same)

Marshall

O' Donnell McKenna Gallagher Cooper Tierney ( useful exercise just in case Robbo gets injured next summer )

Jack    McLean

Christie   McGinn ( if fit) 

McBurnie or Burke( don't think Griffiths has got 90 minutes in him yet, impact sub ) 

Others back for the Israel match

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is dykes suspended for the Sunday game? If so I would like to see burke or Griffiths start up front. 

I am wondering if FIFA/UEFA have given a directive recently.  The U21 earlier was littered with yellows and reds.  They are getting flung about like confetti.    Gilmour did nothing but complain but perhaps with red language.    Never a sending off. 

It does seem like they are flinging the cards out a bit more.     

Griffiths has to start above Burke if that's the case.   In my opinion.     My mates were asking why is he being brought on for the last minute of extra time.   Err..  

As for GIlmour, did he even touch the ball before getting sent off?  He might have had a 1-2 but that's a horrible red.  

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is dykes suspended for the Sunday game? If so I would like to see burke or Griffiths start up front. 

Aye he is unfortunately.

If it were me I'd be tempted to rest Robertson for the Slovakia game (but bring him back against Israel) and play Tierney at left wing back with either Cooper or Considine given another chance in central defence.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Considine

We concede without him in the team.   Good call.    Watch us win to nil with Andy on the pitch.  

.. how we we would laugh at this last year.      I am kinda serious, Considine has not put a foot wrong for Scotland.  Keep the call-ups coming.   He's part of the group as seen by the videos.  Players must like him,  get him in the starting 11. 

47 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

After last night's heroics and emotion, hard to believe we have another important matches just a couple of days away.

Think there will be changes due to level of knackeredness ,suspensions ( Dykes) and injuries ( Robertson says he had a tight hamstring after the match, McGinn )

Good thing is the squad members will be doubly focused to ensure they will "be on the plane" next June.

Team? ( formation will be the same)

Marshall

O' Donnell McKenna Gallagher Cooper Tierney ( useful exercise just in case Robbo gets injured next summer )

Jack    McLean

Christie   McGinn ( if fit) 

McBurnie or Burke( don't think Griffiths has got 90 minutes in him yet, impact sub ) 

Others back for the Israel match

Think you've called it right    but a space should be found for Armstrong. 

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye he is unfortunately.

If it were me I'd be tempted to rest Robertson for the Slovakia game (but bring him back against Israel) and play Tierney at left wing back with either Cooper or Considine given another chance in central defence.

I would agree with this.  Not sure who to play up front.  Mcburnie was rotten last night... hardly won a header.

I would be tempted to give Armstrong a run in the Mcginn role to see how he does. 

47 minutes ago, OLAS said:

I am wondering if FIFA/UEFA have given a directive recently.  The U21 earlier was littered with yellows and reds.  They are getting flung about like confetti.    Gilmour did nothing but complain but perhaps with red language.    Never a sending off. 

It does seem like they are flinging the cards out a bit more.     

Griffiths has to start above Burke if that's the case.   In my opinion.     My mates were asking why is he being brought on for the last minute of extra time.   Err..  

As for GIlmour, did he even touch the ball before getting sent off?  He might have had a 1-2 but that's a horrible red.  

Foul and abusive language is still a red card offence. Whether aimed at the officials, opponents, own team and supporters.

Those players will be physically and emotionally drained from last night and we have a game against Israel a few days after i really can see a fair few changes - i also think Clarke may want to give a few players a run out 

I could easily see Gordon, McKenna, Cooper, Palmer, Armstrong coming in 

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

On the BBC website it says he was sent off for deliberate handball.

If there was a handball there then i missed that, and there is no way a ref would red card a player for deliberate handball in that scenario, you have to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity  (DOGSO) taking into account direction, distance defence control.  It would have been his reaction to the foul given and i reckon some fruity words.

19 minutes ago, borojock said:

Those players will be physically and emotionally drained from last night and we have a game against Israel a few days after i really can see a fair few changes - i also think Clarke may want to give a few players a run out 

I could easily see Gordon, McKenna, Cooper, Palmer, Armstrong coming in 

No need to change the keeper, it is still a very important game. 

The good thing is we have options now. Obviously, we know Dykes is suspended and if Robertson has a hamstring niggle he may miss out. Also I did see in the last minute or two Declan Gallagher took a knock but limped away from it. I think McGinn will start as he never played the full match (about 70 minutes I think) so he should have something left in the tank. I also feel Armstrong could very well start too if Clarke wants to rest McGregor.

I'd still feel good about us lining up with this side on Sunday:-

...............................................................................Marshall................................................................................

.................................................Considine.......................Cooper..........................McKenna..............................

Palmer.....................................................................................................................................................Tierney

...............................................................Jack....................................Armstrong.....................................

...................................................................................McGinn......................................................................

...........................................................Burke..................................Griffiths.........................................................

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Most, if not all of us, want Griffiths to start this game. I certainly do.

Clarke however does seem to rate McBurnie and is desperate for him to get a finally score a goal. He'll start alright.

The thing is, if McBurnie could only just play like he did in his sub appearances against Slovakia and the Czechs (and was unlucky not to score) then he'd be on the right track. If however he does his best Kevin Kyle impression like he did last night, then his days in the Scotland squad have to be numbered.

31 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Most, if not all of us, want Griffiths to start this game. I certainly do.

Clarke however does seem to rate McBurnie and is desperate for him to get a finally score a goal. He'll start alright.

The thing is, if McBurnie could only just play like he did in his sub appearances against Slovakia and the Czechs (and was unlucky not to score) then he'd be on the right track. If however he does his best Kevin Kyle impression like he did last night, then his days in the Scotland squad have to be numbered.

Yes I agree with you on McBurnie definitely.

However, Clarke is a man who picks players who can slot in to roles that can make his system work. That calls for a big striker who can hold the ball up and I think he sees McBurnie far more up to that type of role than Griffiths. Griffiths I'd say is more of a Fraser-type. Who feeds off knock-downs or feeds on loose balls in the penalty area and can finish. Clarke builds attacks around the mantra of a player up top who can hold the ball up and win it in the air.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’d rather see Burke tried for the main striker role. McBurnie was absolutely honking bar his penalty. Griffiths a sub till he gets fitter. 

Yes its much of a muchness but Clarke loves a striker who can hold the ball up. That is not really Burke's strength either. McBurnie can do it when on his game but admittedly last night he looked lost.