Declan Gallagher - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Declan Gallagher

Caledonian Craig

And therein lies the problem. Don't think anybody who posts on this board would knock back salary X 10 ( at least) but at Sheff U they have had an established back 3 for most of their time in the premier league. Gallagher would have to hope for a big loss of form and / or injuries of one of them and take his chance in an instant.

Big ask as a player but financially he has to go, but jeopardising his EURO 2020 spot.

Yes I get the financial conitations. However, at Motherwell he's built respect and confidence in him. He may head south and after a couple of iffy games or injury find himself out of the team and possibly out of the Scotland team as a consequence. Its happened before to our players and even managers too. They have success and build up a reputation at a less fashionable club then heads get turned by a bigger club and move and it all goes tits up. 

If I were him, (as a Scotland fan which I am sure DG is )  I would stay at Motherwell until summer, hopefully cement the Scotland place and leave Motherwell, still on a free, in summer. Who knows, a good EUROS campaign might see bigger clubs come in for him. 

Think though if the Well know about this they might insist on cashing in in January

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I get the financial conitations. However, at Motherwell he's built respect and confidence in him. He may head south and after a couple of iffy games or injury find himself out of the team and possibly out of the Scotland team as a consequence. Its happened before to our players and even managers too. They have success and build up a reputation at a less fashionable club then heads get turned by a bigger club and move and it all goes tits up. 

Either way he could set him and his family up for life. Its a no brainer even if he went down there and never played a game and just picked up 10k a week or something like that. 

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Or he could go to an english club and become a better player for us

52 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

If I were him, (as a Scotland fan which I am sure DG is )  I would stay at Motherwell until summer, hopefully cement the Scotland place and leave Motherwell, still on a free, in summer. Who knows, a good EUROS campaign might see bigger clubs come in for him. 

Think though if the Well know about this they might insist on cashing in in January

Or he knocks back the offer in expectation of the euros and a move away in the summer, but gets injured runs out of contract at Motherwell and never sees the big offer coming in again...

...at his age, he has to take it when its offered 

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Or he knocks back the offer in expectation of the euros and a move away in the summer, but gets injured runs out of contract at Motherwell and never sees the big offer coming in again...

...at his age, he has to take it when its offered 

Pretty sure I remember you saying he wasn't very good.

To be honest I think this central defender in a back three is an easy position to play so he should take the money and run.

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He’d be daft not to move to the EPL if given the chance, especially for the money at this stage of his career 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

He has to take the money. Put yourself in his shoes, he’s possbly on £2k a week at Motherwell (total guess)...  if an epl club offers yo7 10-15k a week you would sign as soon as you can.  Folk saying it’s not about money... it’s all about money.

Sheffield United don't offer large wages. Lundstrom who rangers are after is on 4k a week, fleck was on 8k a week. Outside of their big money signings they don't offer wages over 15/20k. He'd be lucky to get 5-7k a week at Sheffield United, great money and 2-3 times what he gets at Motherwell but he'd get more at Celtic and most championship sides. He'd be better waiting it out to the Euro's and putting himself in a much larger shopping window. It's also worth noting that players joining on bosman deals, can usually demand a large wages due to no transfer fee involved.

FYI I'm not complaining about Sheffield uniteds wage structure, it's incredible what they've been able to do on their budget and wage structure.

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty sure I remember you saying he wasn't very good.

To be honest I think this central defender in a back three is an easy position to play so he should take the money and run.

I dont think he is that good to be honest, he is doing a job for scotland and he is one of Motherwells better players but I think he'd struggle at a higher level on a consistent basis.