Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, stocky said:

I have to disagree with your last point there. 

Last week was much more important, 

However tonights game is much more important than Sundays game. ( losing it, made it even more so) 

Staying in B League would not be the end of the world, NOT qualifying for a Hampden based Euros would have been 

"Was" is the key word there.

The next game is always more important than the last game. Jock Stein taught me that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was actually talking about this exact same subject with some of my friends yesterday, ended up making our 23 man team for Euro 2020 as of right now  done a team-sheet thing with the players on it.  

Getting to the finals doesn’t improve your ranking (other than the points you get for winning the games that get you there but since we technically drew with Israel and Serbia we won’t get a lot of ra

The wiki page 😄  

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, stocky said:

I have to disagree with your last point there. 

Last week was much more important, 

However tonights game is much more important than Sundays game. ( losing it, made it even more so) 

Staying in B League would not be the end of the world, NOT qualifying for a Hampden based Euros would have been 

That's possibly true, but moving up to league A would massively boost our chances of qualifying for the World Cup.

Having watched Spain v Germany last night though, I'm not sure us playing in league A of the nations league would be particularly pleasant viewing though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The only reason he got that chance was because McLeish got us to the playoff in the first place. We will never know whether a McLeish led team would also have qualified or not. 

I really hope we win tonight then I can start to believe that we are progressing. This game tonight is so important in so many ways. Tonight's game is more important that last weeks playoff.

 

So reaching the playoffs by winning 3 out of 4 games against teams ranked way below us is as big an achievement as actually successfully getting through the playoffs (including a final away from home against a team ranked 15 places above us) and qualifying for a major tournament? 🤔

You appear to be basing your opinion of who is the more successful Scotland manager on whether or not we beat one specific team or not.

Your last sentence could well qualify as one of the daftest things I’ve ever read on here (with the exception of 99% of Bonny’s posts). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's possibly true, but moving up to league A would massively boost our chances of qualifying for the World Cup.

Having watched Spain v Germany last night though, I'm not sure us playing in league A of the nations league would be particularly pleasant viewing though!

Ach, come on, we would hump Germany if they played like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

That would be the away match, we could really do some damage to them at Hampden.

Didn't we once beat them 6-2 in yonderyear?

Don't think so. We beat Spain 6 - 2 at the Bernabeu though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Don't think so. We beat Spain 6 - 2 at the Bernabeu though.

Thanks, that is the one I was thinking about. According to the SFA archives, we did beat them 3-1 in Germany (1957) when they were world champions though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the looks of it, we have a pretty much nailed on formation. Although we didn't get the results the performance deserved in the last 2 games, the players got more valuable experience in a system that is far better suited against the stronger opposition we will face in the Euros.

The interchangeable aspect of the team is the personnel. I'd be loathe to change the 11 that conquered Serbia. However, 6 months is a long time in football and we may realise that some players can be switched about.

Are McGregor and Jack replaceable with McGinn and McTominay? Yes, since both of those players play those positions in the EPL. Can McKenna or Cooper play RCB instead of McTominay? Of course. I think too much is made of left/right footed players when it comes to CBs. If they were all right footers, no one would care.

If you play McGinn deeper, then that solves the conundrum of Christie vs Fraser. Play both. 

Dykes seems like a shoe in for the CF slot. But if he isn't scoring/playing and Griffiths starts tearing up defences like we no he can, then even Lyndon isn't undroppable.

I'd even hazard trying Burke in a one off game at RWB to see how he gets on. As we saw against Israel, his burst of pace can create opportunities out of nothing. (No disrespect to O'Donnell, who I am a huge fan of)

We've found the right formation, and the right players, we just need to make sure they are in the right slots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

By the looks of it, we have a pretty much nailed on formation. Although we didn't get the results the performance deserved in the last 2 games, the players got more valuable experience in a system that is far better suited against the stronger opposition we will face in the Euros.

The interchangeable aspect of the team is the personnel. I'd be loathe to change the 11 that conquered Serbia. However, 6 months is a long time in football and we may realise that some players can be switched about.

Are McGregor and Jack replaceable with McGinn and McTominay? Yes, since both of those players play those positions in the EPL. Can McKenna or Cooper play RCB instead of McTominay? Of course. I think too much is made of left/right footed players when it comes to CBs. If they were all right footers, no one would care.

If you play McGinn deeper, then that solves the conundrum of Christie vs Fraser. Play both. 

Dykes seems like a shoe in for the CF slot. But if he isn't scoring/playing and Griffiths starts tearing up defences like we no he can, then even Lyndon isn't undroppable.

I'd even hazard trying Burke in a one off game at RWB to see how he gets on. As we saw against Israel, his burst of pace can create opportunities out of nothing. (No disrespect to O'Donnell, who I am a huge fan of)

We've found the right formation, and the right players, we just need to make sure they are in the right slots.

Bearing in mind our problems with scoring, I had wondered if we could play Christie and Fraser in the same team....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The team has improved in all three games, even if we can't score, we looked harder to beat and actually can hold on to the ball for some time. The general style and confidence in play, we look a better side, but there's still a huge road to go.

It'll never happen but I'd seriously consider switching Tierney to LWB or LB. 

I'm so-so about not getting promoted. It is so frustrating that we couldn't see out the group with one win out of two, and the Czech manager is actually right about being bottlers ; but whilst going up to A might well have helped secure both a playoff for the WC or the Euros, I wouldn't fancy us much in a group of Spain, Holland, Italy - if we can get Romania, Iceland, Macedonia or so, I think I would rather focus on trying to get results out of those games. 

Lots to think about especially up front, corners and ball distribution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My choices...

GKs - Marshall, Gordon, Doohan

CBs - Gallagher, Tierney, McKenna, Considine, McTominay, Porteous

RBs - O'Donnell, Palmer

LBs - Robertson, Taylor

CMs - McGinn, McGregor, Jack, McLean, Christie, Armstrong

FWs - Dykes, Forrest, Fraser, Hornby

 

Of the more unlikely; Doohan because the other options are back-ups and he's the first choice for the under 21s. With the age of our established goalies and the role of the 3rd goalie then we might as well give him the experience.

I think Gallagher, Tierney, McTominay (although I'd have him in midfield competing for Jack's spot) and McKenna are certainties. Considine did nothing wrong in his outings. Assuming form stays consistent I'd pick him and Porteous of Hibs who I like. Both are back ups due to the likely 3 at the back.

O'Donnell seems certain. Palmer is likely. There's not much else that comes to mind. I'd like to try someone out here but no-one springs to mind.

Taylor because we probably need a 3rd LB in the squad with Tierney and Robertson likely to play every minute.

The midfielders are difficult because there's a lot of options. There are good players with potential but they are running out of time really. I think Gilmour, Ferguson, Campbell, McCrorie,  etc will likely get their chance after the Euros, mostly due to strength in the positions where they'd need to break in. Others I've chosen have less in front of them. Fleck is unlucky. I just can't pick 8 midfielders for 3 (4 if McTominay plays CB) positions. 

Forwards again are difficult and this could easily change if someone suddenly hits form at club level and starts firing in the goals; maybe coinciding with friendlies in the spring. Again though, got to expect form then will be around as it is now. Of the positions in the team, I think Dykes has the least back up which tempts me into picking Hornby but he'd need to do well in France all season. That being the choice is difficult between a McBurnie short of confidence (it seems), Paterson, Shankland and others that haven't really impressed, or the experience of a player like Naismith who is a good partner up front, or the pace of Burke but will he ever get enough football? That also goes for Griffiths. That being the case, I've opted for Hornby. He's still to feature so it might be a long shot but his style seems the type that he could act as back up for Dykes. That puts him ahead of Nisbet for me who is also untested at senior level but who is in form at club level. This last forward place could go many ways as Dykes, Forrest, Fraser seem like definite picks, with Christie as well if you consider him a forward. I'd have him in contention for AM or FW.

 

Formation

...............GK..............

......RCB  CB  LCB......

RWB    DM  DM     LWB 

...............AM.................. 

..........FW.......STR..........

 

I think that kind of formation has suited us best so far. I wouldn't be averse to trying out 4-4-2 with McTominay regarded as a midfielder again. Up front I'd play little and large. 

I made a long list of 50 players and then whittled them down to get this list as an exercise. I don't expect to get them all right but I think 17 of them are definite picks...all bar Doohan, Considine, Porteous, Palmer, Taylor, and Hornby.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, weekevie04 said:

The team has improved in all three games, even if we can't score, we looked harder to beat and actually can hold on to the ball for some time. The general style and confidence in play, we look a better side, but there's still a huge road to go.

It'll never happen but I'd seriously consider switching Tierney to LWB or LB. 

I'm so-so about not getting promoted. It is so frustrating that we couldn't see out the group with one win out of two, and the Czech manager is actually right about being bottlers ; but whilst going up to A might well have helped secure both a playoff for the WC or the Euros, I wouldn't fancy us much in a group of Spain, Holland, Italy - if we can get Romania, Iceland, Macedonia or so, I think I would rather focus on trying to get results out of those games. 

Lots to think about especially up front, corners and ball distribution. 

The stats against Israel are actually quite encouraging, been a while since we dominated any team away from home so much. But like everyone says, if you cant put the ball in the net......

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archiesdad said:

Any one know how Jonny Russell is doing

Will he be in contention for a place. ? 

 

 

According to Who Scored he was the 7th best player in the MLS last season but surely we can do better, he is hardly going to improve.    Lewis Morgan was 5th best player in MLS and at least he has age on his side.

Who scored is only a ratings site and it does compare like for like, but to me it appears the MLS must be a pretty poor standard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, todd said:

The stats against Israel are actually quite encouraging, been a while since we dominated any team away from home so much. But like everyone says, if you cant put the ball in the net......

Stats for the Slovakia game were just as good. 

Stats wise the only game we should have lost out of the triple header was the Serbia one/

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Stats for the Slovakia game were just as good. 

Stats wise the only game we should have lost out of the triple header was the Serbia one/

True dat, football eh? Does any other sport come close? How many other sports can the worst team win? That's what makes it so fuckin brilliant 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll watch the Sportscene highlights later, but how was Nisbet yesterday? Not to put all the eggs in one basket, but I really, really hope he continues this brilliant start and can make his way in to the squad. Seen him through the lower leagues, and is a very impressive player ; and again, would be a terrific wee story for a player who worked his way back up the leagues and in to the national team.

Losing that wee bit of timber too - he was never fat, but certainly not as toned as he looks now at Hibs when at the Pars or Raith - has increased his sharpness.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We do need goals

'Scotland had five shots on target against Slovakia and didn't score. They also had five corners to one. They had seven attempts on target to Israel's two - and 12 corners to Israel's two. Once more, they drew a blank.

They've scored three goals in their past six games. Including the extra-time against Israel and Serbia, that amounts to three goals in 10 hours of football. They scored five goals in six games in their Nations League group and two of them were penalties'

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I'll watch the Sportscene highlights later, but how was Nisbet yesterday? Not to put all the eggs in one basket, but I really, really hope he continues this brilliant start and can make his way in to the squad. Seen him through the lower leagues, and is a very impressive player ; and again, would be a terrific wee story for a player who worked his way back up the leagues and in to the national team.

Losing that wee bit of timber too - he was never fat, but certainly not as toned as he looks now at Hibs when at the Pars or Raith - has increased his sharpness.

 

Nisbet has gone Raith, dumfy, hibees in successive seasons and kept scoring at each leap in level

If makes next level move to English chumpionship, straight in team

How it usually works anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...