Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

That’s ridiculous.

He went to Belgium a pretty poor player and looks far better in a back three.

Gallagher is a poor player and looks far better in a back three.

McKenna all of sudden looked very good when playing in a back three after a couple of seasons looking average.( at least I didn't call him poor)

Playing in the middle of a back three you have very little area to cover I honestly think any half decent defender can play there. As I said though we don't really have much depth in defence so he could well come in

No Idea why, but Hendry only came on with 40 minutes to go last night. 

Guest ElChris04
4 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

The best players should be picked. If there's a player better than MacLean, that would fit into the squad, then that is who should be picked. If we're picking on sentiment can we we get McFadden to 50 caps. 

Did someone really tout Shaun Rooney for a call up? FFS 🥴

I said he and Paul McGinn have both been better Scottish wingbacks this season - which they have so I’m not sure on the issue there. O’Donnell on current form shouldn’t be anywhere near the team regardless of the system if we are going by the basic club level form.

Getting sent off against Hamilton Accies sums his season up of how poor he’s been.

I agree that should be the be all and end all of it, we call the best players up. But there’s certain players i think Clarke will keep in the team like O’Donnell and McBurnie due to loyalty and ignore others despite performing better at club level due to the experience and being used to the system. 

Edited by ElChris04

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McKenna all of sudden looked very good when playing in a back three after a couple of seasons looking average.( at least I didn't call him poor)

Playing in the middle of a back three you have very little area to cover I honestly think any half decent defender can play there. As I said though we don't really have much depth in defence so he could well come in

He's just back from having covid.

9 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He’s not hiding though is he? If he happens to play well in a back three then good for him. Same goes for Gallagher. 

It was obvious to me, and I said it at the time, that Hendry had the potential to be a very good player, and now seemingly he is. I do think he can play in the right centre back role. He has the distribution, pace and height to be a star turn there.

McKenna has always been good and now he’s excelling in the Championship. 

12 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

The best players should be picked. If there's a player better than MacLean, that would fit into the squad, then that is who should be picked. If we're picking on sentiment can we we get McFadden to 50 caps. 

Did someone really tout Shaun Rooney for a call up? FFS 🥴

Who is Shaun Rooney!? 🤣

There are definitely better players than McLean.

We all like McLean but Fleck is better than he is & also Turnbull & Gauld, albeit not defensive midfielders but are also better midfielders. 

18 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Who is Shaun Rooney!? 🤣

We all like McLean but Fleck is better than he is & also Turnbull & Gauld, albeit not defensive midfielders but are also better midfielders. 

Fleck is a talented player but maybe McLean is more diligent in a deeper role and does what the manager asks. 

Clarke has got some really tough decisions to make ahead of the three matches next month.  They are pretty much his last chance to work with new players ahead of the Euros.  However, they are key games for the World Cup and we really need to pick up a minimum of 7 points.

He picked 25 players to play in the matches in November.

1. Gordon
  2. Marshall
  3. McLaughlin
  4. Robertson
  5. McKenna
  6. O'Donnell
  7. Tierney
  8. Gallagher
  9. Palmer
  10. Cooper
  11. Taylor
  12. Considine
  13. McGinn
  14. McGregor
  15. Armstrong
  16. McTominay
  17. McLean
  18. Christie
  19. Jack
  20. Griffiths
  21. Paterson
  22. McBurnie
  23. Burke
  24. Dykes
  25. Shankland

Hanley, Fleck and Fraser were both called up but had to pull out injured.  Forrest would have been included and should be available again next month.  So that is 29 players.

Personally, I think Hickey, McIntyre, Hendry, Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour are all worth considering for the upcoming squad.  You could make arguments for a few others too.  

I think Clarke has to make the tough call to axe the more limited players like O'Donnell and Considine.  I think he needs to exclude players out of form (or not playing) like Griffiths, McBurnie and Shankland.  Sadly, I think GIlmour misses out for this reason despite him being more talented than most of the players in the squad. 

I'm really interested to see what he does do but I expect he will stay too loyal to some of the average players in the squad.  

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s not hiding though is he? If he happens to play well in a back three then good for him. Same goes for Gallagher. 

It was obvious to me, and I said it at the time, that Hendry had the potential to be a very good player, and now seemingly he is. I do think he can play in the right centre back role. He has the distribution, pace and height to be a star turn there.

McKenna has always been good and now he’s excelling in the Championship. 

Still not convinced about just how good you need to be to play in a back three.

He does appear to be the next best player in defence that hasn't been involved in recent squads so will probably get called up.

Unlike Turnbull, Gilmour or Gauld I would say he would be very unlikely to feature.

McKenna is certainly playing very well and it sounds like he is starting to show the promise he did a couple of seasons back, but his career did stall. Forrest fans reckon they might lose him to an EPL team, going by forum talk.

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Clarke has got some really tough decisions to make ahead of the three matches next month.  They are pretty much his last chance to work with new players ahead of the Euros.  However, they are key games for the World Cup and we really need to pick up a minimum of 7 points.

He picked 25 players to play in the matches in November.

1. Gordon
  2. Marshall
  3. McLaughlin
  4. Robertson
  5. McKenna
  6. O'Donnell
  7. Tierney
  8. Gallagher
  9. Palmer
  10. Cooper
  11. Taylor
  12. Considine
  13. McGinn
  14. McGregor
  15. Armstrong
  16. McTominay
  17. McLean
  18. Christie
  19. Jack
  20. Griffiths
  21. Paterson
  22. McBurnie
  23. Burke
  24. Dykes
  25. Shankland

Hanley, Fleck and Fraser were both called up but had to pull out injured.  Forrest would have been included and should be available again next month.  So that is 29 players.

Personally, I think Hickey, McIntyre, Hendry, Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour are all worth considering for the upcoming squad.  You could make arguments for a few others too.  

I think Clarke has to make the tough call to axe the more limited players like O'Donnell and Considine.  I think he needs to exclude players out of form (or not playing) like Griffiths, McBurnie and Shankland.  Sadly, I think GIlmour misses out for this reason despite him being more talented than most of the players in the squad. 

I'm really interested to see what he does do but I expect he will stay too loyal to some of the average players in the squad.  

Due to the lack of striker options Mcburnie, Griffiths and Shankland will likely be picked. 

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Who is Shaun Rooney!? 🤣

Fleck is having a terrible season in a terrible team plus he was far from his best in the last batch of games, I reckon he will miss out. 

Since the turn of the year (and getting match fitness) John Fleck has been  Sheffield United's best player.

Against Manchester United he was superb. It's no coincidence that Sheffield United's improved form has coincided with Fleck finding form.

He's definitely going to be at the Euros, barring another injury.

1. Gordon
  2. Marshall
  3. McLaughlin
  4. Robertson
  5. McKenna
  6. O'Donnell
  7. Tierney
  8. Gallagher
  9. Palmer replace with Hendry
  10. Cooper
  11. Taylor REMOVED
  12. Considine REMOVED 
  13. McGinn
  14. McGregor
  15. Armstrong
  16. McTominay
  17. McLean
  18. Christie
  19. Jack
  20. Griffiths
  21. Paterson - replace with Turnbull 
  22. McBurnie
  23. Burke      -  replace with Forrest if he is back fit 
  24. Dykes
  25. Shankland - replace with Fraser if he starts getting starts 

I would go with this above unless theres a miracle and gilmour starts getting proper game time 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Fleck is having a terrible season in a terrible team plus he was far from his best in the last batch of games, I reckon he will miss out. 

Fleck has been great lately - I don’t think you’ve been watching games or you’d have a different opinion 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Fleck has been great lately - I don’t think you’ve been watching games or you’d have a different opinion 

Spot on.

When he was struggling, it was after he got through an injury and he was working away at his match fitness and sharpness.

Fleck has been one of the best players in the EPL for the past month. The overall form of Sheffield United should not cloud that.

Edited by Taylor1996

Anyone know how Ross McRorie has been playing? In our pool we only have three anchormen (Jack, McCrorie and Shinnie). I dread to think what will happen if Jack gets injured.

It must be difficult for a midfielder playing under McInness. He doesn't exactly play total football... more like total crap. Under Derek McInness, Aberdeen remind me of the old Wimbledon crazy gang... without the crazy.

Must be difficult for the likes of McCrorie and Ferguson to develop when the midfield is often missed out. Yes, Christie and Maddison developed at Aberdeen, but that was probably in spite of McInness, not because of him. Besides, they are more attackers than midfielders.

Just agreeing with some of the up to date guys here, Fleck has been in excellent form the last few weeks. He has certainly played himself back into contention. A few mentioning how well Mckenna has been doing for Forest, well your right he was doing well prior to be injured, don't think he has played for 4 or 5 weeks. Our biggest concern form wise might be Dykes , subbed the other night & QPR turned the game around without him. From their forum most QPR fans don't think he is even championship level. 

Reality is there's so many tough choices for Clarke to make, he needs to keep the nucleus of the squad that appears to have bonded so well but there are some younger more talented players knocking on the door. Hope as rumoured Uefa increase squads to 26 & when form doesn't make it obvious Clarke chooses the younger players with more potential over the steady Eddie's. 

If you want names, I'd like to see at least 2 or 3 from Turnbull, Gilmour, Gauld, McIntyre & Hendry selected for the march qualifiers & if they show enough between now & the end of the season they keep their places for the summer. 

59 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Just agreeing with some of the up to date guys here, Fleck has been in excellent form the last few weeks. He has certainly played himself back into contention. A few mentioning how well Mckenna has been doing for Forest, well your right he was doing well prior to be injured, don't think he has played for 4 or 5 weeks. Our biggest concern form wise might be Dykes , subbed the other night & QPR turned the game around without him. From their forum most QPR fans don't think he is even championship level. 

Reality is there's so many tough choices for Clarke to make, he needs to keep the nucleus of the squad that appears to have bonded so well but there are some younger more talented players knocking on the door. Hope as rumoured Uefa increase squads to 26 & when form doesn't make it obvious Clarke chooses the younger players with more potential over the steady Eddie's. 

If you want names, I'd like to see at least 2 or 3 from Turnbull, Gilmour, Gauld, McIntyre & Hendry selected for the march qualifiers & if they show enough between now & the end of the season they keep their places for the summer. 

If dykes performs for us then I'm not too bothered what he does for qpr. He's done enough in a scotland shirt to start for us. It's mildly amusing that he plays well for us and not for qpr. 

50 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

If dykes performs for us then I'm not too bothered what he does for qpr. He's done enough in a scotland shirt to start for us. It's mildly amusing that he plays well for us and not for qpr. 

So if he sat on the bench for the remainder of the season you would still pick on the back of previous performances?

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Call me Berti Vogts, but I'm no a fan of playing players who aren't playing at club level. Could mean no Dykes, Griffiths, McBurnie or Burke.

Surely Paterson and Shankland cant be worse than Crawford and Kyle though.

All of those guys are playing at club level.