Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

55 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Two months on from that amazing qualification night and a couple of months from next games. There's been a few standouts in from Tierney,  McTominay and Armstrong; quite a few injuries and Covid absences. Doesn't seem to be that many staking a claim to break into the squad and could certainly do with a few more goals from the forwards. 

I would disagree to an extent...

Turnbull, Gauld & Hendry are all staking their claim. Gilmour hopefully will be too by then. 

Equally the club form & game time of some of the the existing squad can be questioned; Jon McLaughlin, Oli McBurnie etc. 

37 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I would disagree to an extent...

Turnbull, Gauld & Hendry are all staking their claim. Gilmour hopefully will be too by then. 

Equally the club form & game time of some of the the existing squad can be questioned; Jon McLaughlin, Oli McBurnie etc. 

I did say a few!  Yes,  Turnbull seems to be performing well despite team performance. Tbf McBurnie has been out of the Sheffield squad for a few weeks and did manage to score before Xmas. Do you mean Hendry in Oostende? 

51 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

I did say a few!  Yes,  Turnbull seems to be performing well despite team performance. Tbf McBurnie has been out of the Sheffield squad for a few weeks and did manage to score before Xmas. Do you mean Hendry in Oostende? 

Jack Hendry yes at Oostende. Aaron Hickey also has the potential to make a squad as a right back you’d think. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ElChris04

Looking back at our last squad back in november It’ll be interesting to see who we cut for the euros. There’s a good few names who’ll move out for me with no qualms.

March games I hope to see some new faces like Gauld, Gilmour Turnbull Nisbet and even Hickey at the forefront in the March games before the euros in place of others out of our last squad, to see how they get on. 

B2EC889E-E51C-4907-A32D-D4FE631602E8.jpeg

Edited by ElChris04

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Looking back at our last squad back in november It’ll be interesting to see who we cut for the euros. There’s a good few names who’ll move out for me with no qualms.

March games I hope to see some new faces like Gauld, Gilmour Turnbull Nisbet and even Hickey at the forefront in the March games before the euros in place of others out of our last squad, to see how they get on. 

One thing I am pretty sure about is we don't need seven strikers with the way the team has been set up recently.

54 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I feel unsure about even discussing Euro 2020. I don't know if it'll happen. 

Do we know how big the squads are going to be? From that list, I can think of 6 names that I could easily score out.

Rumours on Twitter the other day that UEFA are thinking of extending the squads due to Covid. 

19 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

That's actually a very strong squad. Even now, there are very names you'd think don't deserve to be there. Maybe drop McLaughlin for Kelly because he's been playing more.

On top of the ones you mentioned (Gauld, Gilmour, Turnbull Nisbet, Hickey) you'd imagine Hendry, Fleck and Forrest will be pushing for a place as well. That would be 35, and I'd struggle to cut any of them.

Edited by Tartan blood

Guest ElChris04
20 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

That's actually a very strong squad. Even now, there are very names you'd think don't deserve to be there. Maybe drop McLaughlin for Kelly because he's been playing more.

On top of the ones you mentioned (Gauld, Gilmour, Turnbull Nisbet, Hickey) you'd imagine Hendry, Fleck and Forrest will be pushing for a place as well. That would be 35, and I'd struggle to cut any of them.

It’s going to be extremely tough whatever Clarke decides, just for example I’ve seen plenty of mentions of folk wanting McLean cut for Gilmour which is a debatable argument, but on the other hand he’s a fine penalty taker, pivotal to our qualifying in the shoot outs and a decent box to box player. Is Clarke really going to shun Kenny away when he was so massively relied and stepped up on? Very unlikely. 

others like 

- Burke.

- Patterson

- McBurnie 

- Taylor

- Palmer 

- McKenna

- Hanley 

i would lose no sleep over being cut. Trim the team in certain areas to accommodate others would how I imagine Clarke will do it. The way we play too we don’t need 7 forwards either.

Although out of those names mentioned I don’t see McBurnie being cut, Clarke likes him and he stepped up and took one of the winning penalties in the Serbia shootout which like kenny. I wouldn’t want to be the manager telling them they’ve been cut after that, I’m hoping he can pick up scoring from in the March games and get his confidence up ideally. 

Edited by ElChris04

22 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

It’s going to be extremely tough whatever Clarke decides, just for example I’ve seen plenty of mentions of folk wanting McLean cut for Gilmour which is a debatable argument, but on the other hand he’s a fine penalty taker, pivotal to our qualifying in the shoot outs and a decent box to box player. Is Clarke really going to shun Kenny away when he was so massively relied and stepped up on? Very unlikely. 

others like 

- Burke.

- Patterson

- McBurnie 

- Taylor

- Palmer 

- McKenna

- Hanley 

i would lose no sleep over being cut. Trim the team in certain areas to accommodate others would how I imagine Clarke will do it. The way we play too we don’t need 7 forwards either.

Although out of those names mentioned I don’t see McBurnie being cut, Clarke likes him and he stepped up and took one of the winning penalties in the Serbia shootout which like kenny. I wouldn’t want to be the manager telling them they’ve been cut after that, I’m hoping he can pick up scoring from in the March games and get his confidence up ideally. 

I'd love to know how Clarke is thinking right. There are so many permutations that the speculation is endless. After the next round of games we might have a clearer idea of what to expect. I.e will he choose based on sentiment, experience, form, versatility, and so on.

Arguments could be made for and against all of those guys you mentioned. Burke being the standout. As you said, we don't need 7 forwards, but Burke can play in other positions and is a fantastic asset when our backs are against the wall and we need to rely on counter attacks. But if he isn't proving it for Sheffield Utd, then you can't really justify his inclusion.

Not sure were this talk about dropping McLean to bring in Gauld or Turnbull is coming from, be as well by dropping Gordon to bring one of them in, he is a totally different type of player.

I would imagine Patterson Shankland and Burke's places in the squad are most at risk if Clarke was interested in Gauld and Turnbull.

Personally I would prefer to see Turnbull start than Fraser and the Celtic fans can decide if Christie should be ahead of either.

Basing all this on a 3-4-2-1 formation mind you, with Turnbull and Gauld competing for a place in the "2" with Armstrong, Fraser, Christie and maybe McGinn.

I reckon McGinn will be playing deeper than he usually does for us, beside either Jack or McTominay.

Again just my opinion but I think Armstrong and probably even Christie would be better wing backs than O'Donnell and Palmer.

Looking at the last call ups - Taylor out and Hickey in, gives us an upgrade on versatility, on ability - I'm not able to judge. McBurnie like it or not will be in the squad, Paterson is a question mark as is Griffiths, Paterson last I checked was getting game time and a few goals, I think it's almost safe to say Shinnie won't make it as much as I like him but I think Jack Hendry will get a call up - Clarke has said he really wants McTominay in midfield so Hanley and Hendry are IMO the answer. Turnbull is the strongest contender to make it on form, Gauld I'm afraid to let people down but unless there are injuries (Ryan Fraser I have a sick note with your name on it) I think he won't get a call up, my reason is I don't expect Clarke to change too much and we won't sacrifice our defensive qualities to have more progressive players - Turnbull Christie, Fraser,McGinn fit that mold. Shankland and Nisbet are competing for that same position I think and with the start of some good form for Shankland it's going to likely be getting the nod and then Nisbet and Gauld are probably hoping for an injury or an increased squad. McLean I reckon will be in the squad also I'm pretty sure of it

3 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

others like 

- Burke.

- Patterson

- McBurnie 

- Taylor

- Palmer 

- McKenna

- Hanley 

I would sooner leave O'Donnell out and keep Palmer.

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure were this talk about dropping McLean to bring in Gauld or Turnbull is coming from, be as well by dropping Gordon to bring one of them in, he is a totally different type of player.

I would imagine Patterson Shankland and Burke's places in the squad are most at risk if Clarke was interested in Gauld and Turnbull.

Personally I would prefer to see Turnbull start than Fraser and the Celtic fans can decide if Christie should be ahead of either.

Basing all this on a 3-4-2-1 formation mind you, with Turnbull and Gauld competing for a place in the "2" with Armstrong, Fraser, Christie and maybe McGinn.

I reckon McGinn will be playing deeper than he usually does for us, beside either Jack or McTominay.

Again just my opinion but I think Armstrong and probably even Christie would be better wing backs than O'Donnell and Palmer.

Agreed. Don’t see it debated often but going all the way back before the Serbia game I was rooting to see Armstrong play RWB. Seems the type of player who would play well there with his play style.

and as for dropping Palmer, I’m not a fan of O’Donnell either but he’s likely a staple under Clarke, he’s not even been the best scottish wing back in the league this season. Shaun Rooney of St Johnstone and Paul McGinn of Hibs have been far better. Aswell as really wanting to see Hickey played their too. Taking that into account id rather see Hickey and one of the other names I mentioned than either of them for the March games. 

Edited by ElChris04

For me I think Hendry and turnbull are definites to come into the squad. Might be too soon for hickey and gilmour if he doesn't get more game time. Unsure about Gauld. Hard to gauge what standard he's at compared to other players. 

Would be nice to see clarke try another player at right wing back in the qualifiers. 

53 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

For me I think Hendry and turnbull are definites to come into the squad. Might be too soon for hickey and gilmour if he doesn't get more game time. Unsure about Gauld. Hard to gauge what standard he's at compared to other players. 

Would be nice to see clarke try another player at right wing back in the qualifiers. 

Not sure about Hendry but I suppose it is a position we don't have much depth in.

Can't help but feel he is hiding in the middle of a back three.

I suppose Mctominay's and Considine's places are up for grabs and it's pretty hard to name any other options.

6 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

The best players should be picked. If there's a player better than MacLean, that would fit into the squad, then that is who should be picked. If we're picking on sentiment can we we get McFadden to 50 caps. 

Did someone really tout Shaun Rooney for a call up? FFS 🥴

Not touted for a call up, some one just said he was playing better than O'Donnell.

Their isn't a better player than McLean that would fit into the squad so it has nothing to do with sentiment.

Edited by ceudmilefailte