Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

Guest ElChris04

Was actually talking about this exact same subject with some of my friends yesterday, ended up making our 23 man team for Euro 2020 as of right now  done a team-sheet thing with the players on it.

Hardest decision was leaving the likes of McLean out who was vital for qualifying and a good team player but players like Gilmour if he’s back in the fold and Ferguson who’s been absolutely brilliant for Aberdeen I would love to see in the team and think are most certainly good enough. 

Still 8 months to go so anything can happen - the likes of Gauld,Morgan,Hickey,Johnston Etc could all make a case depending how much more they do. In mikey’s case, when he’s back from injury, he’s been out for 10 months so I do have worries he’ll take a long time to get back to his best. But he’s a quality young talent still it would be mental to rule him out over the course of the next 8 months. 

Whatever happens, Clarke has one tough job on his hands. We’ve got some serious good depth we don’t give ourselves credit for. 

As for Che Adams, thanks but no thanks. It’s hard enough leaving players out let alone having a slot took of a player who turned us down, say for example Nisbet who I’m sure would be desperate to play for us. 

ACDAAAE7-68A2-4943-BA63-CF5564B128A7.jpeg

On 11/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, er yir macaroon said:

McBurnie is a goal carrier and not too much else. The problem is he currently isn’t scoring goals. Dykes is more of the complete package and brings far more than goals. 

Brian McLair used to get the McBurnie treatment and he played for ManU. Took him more than 15 caps to score. Just saying.

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McClair was a good player. McBurnie is an out and out goal scorer who is currently not scoring. He’s not very good at doing the other things that get strikers picked. 

Thing is though, he is keeping highly-rated - and expensive -Rhian Brewster out of the team and McGoldrick - an international - sometimes. He must be doing something right. Don't think we can doubt his work rate.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55115077

Aaron Hickey on his hopes for a Scotland call up, really good read

Liked this. Boy is chomping at the bit. accepts his chances at LB are limited but RB? Probably needs to play there for club or country before June ( or the May friendlies) 

Would be good if the WC 2022 qualifying fixture were good for us in March / April ( triple header) and Hickey can be played at right back in at least one of the matches. Not if it Belgium away though ( or anywhere else TBH ) 

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Was actually talking about this exact same subject with some of my friends yesterday, ended up making our 23 man team for Euro 2020 as of right now  done a team-sheet thing with the players on it.

Hardest decision was leaving the likes of McLean out who was vital for qualifying and a good team player but players like Gilmour if he’s back in the fold and Ferguson who’s been absolutely brilliant for Aberdeen I would love to see in the team and think are most certainly good enough. 

Still 8 months to go so anything can happen - the likes of Gauld,Morgan,Hickey,Johnston Etc could all make a case depending how much more they do. In mikey’s case, when he’s back from injury, he’s been out for 10 months so I do have worries he’ll take a long time to get back to his best. But he’s a quality young talent still it would be mental to rule him out over the course of the next 8 months. 

Whatever happens, Clarke has one tough job on his hands. We’ve got some serious good depth we don’t give ourselves credit for. 

As for Che Adams, thanks but no thanks. It’s hard enough leaving players out let alone having a slot took of a player who turned us down, say for example Nisbet who I’m sure would be desperate to play for us. 

Sounds like a decent squad unless Hickey and Gauld go into "cannot ignore" form

Sweepstakes, how many of that squad will be injured / come June, always is. I am going to go for 4 or 5.

2 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

I think Ross Mcrorie will be in contention after a full season under his belt. I don’t see Andy Considine and Porteous ahead of McKenna imo. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

McClair was a good player. McBurnie is an out and out goal scorer who is currently not scoring. He’s not very good at doing the other things that get strikers picked. 

Sorry but you are wrong regarding his contribution in other areas. He makes tackles, wins headers in his own half as well as the oppositions one and links up play.

The one thing he doesn't do is score goals but I keep saying it that's the formation. Sheffield United barely managed a goal a game last season and since we have started using it we certainly haven't managed a goal a game.

It's a shame because he does have ability and playing in any other formation his goal scoring stats would look far better.

Starting to think he might make a better central defender than a forward

3 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Where's o donnell and Palmer. Whos going to play rwb

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sorry but you are wrong regarding his contribution in other areas. He makes tackles, wins headers in his own half as well as the oppositions one and links up play.

The one thing he doesn't do is score goals but I keep saying it that's the formation. Sheffield United barely managed a goal a game last season and since we have started using it we certainly haven't managed a goal a game.

It's a shame because he does have ability and playing in any other formation his goal scoring stats would look far better.

Starting to think he might make a better central defender than a forward

Dykes would be a much better centre half than McBurnie. 😄

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Where's o donnell and Palmer. Whos going to play rwb

Paul McGinn. Has played RWB for Hibs i believe and has been in the best form of his career. Scored a double for Hibs the other day. Better option for me then those 2. I also would have Forrest as a back up RWB if it came to it as he played there regularly for Celtic.

Rather than have another slot for one of those players giving how hard it is leaving others out. 

2 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Paul McGinn. Has played RWB for Hibs i believe and has been in the best form of his career. Scored a double for Hibs the other day. Better option for me then those 2. I also would have Forrest as a back up RWB if it came to it as he played there regularly for Celtic.

Rather than have another slot for one of those players giving how hard it is leaving others out. 

McCrorie would be a better right wing back than all of them and he's primarily a central mid!

13 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Reading in the paper today  Matt Smith ( Millwall ) who qualifies through his grandmother is targeting a place in Scotland's Euro 2021 squad.  Thoughts ? 

Just from looking at google/wiki it doesn't look great. Guys 31 and not been particulary very prolific at championship level. Not sure if he's any good but maybe some ppl on here know more about him. If he's just wanting a place in the squad because we have qualified then no thanks. 

Another Millwall player who might deserve a chance is Murray Wallace. 27 year old centre back who has played most of his career at league 1 and championship. If gallagher and Cooper can both make an impact at 28/29 then maybe this guy could do the same. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just from looking at google/wiki it doesn't look great. Guys 31 and not been particulary very prolific at championship level. Not sure if he's any good but maybe some ppl on here know more about him. If he's just wanting a place in the squad because we have qualified then no thanks. 

Another Millwall player who might deserve a chance is Murray Wallace. 27 year old centre back who has played most of his career at league 1 and championship. If gallagher and Cooper can both make an impact at 28/29 then maybe this guy could do the same. 

Smith would probably be the tallest player at the Euros. Probably tells you all you need to know. 

Remember he had a good run of form a couple of years ago and thought he should have been called up. But he’s surely had his time now.

Paterson is our bulldozer option upfront. Can’t see him being dropped for an uncapped 31 year old. 

21 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Smith would probably be the tallest player at the Euros. Probably tells you all you need to know. 

Remember he had a good run of form a couple of years ago and thought he should have been called up. But he’s surely had his time now.

Paterson is our bulldozer option upfront. Can’t see him being dropped for an uncapped 31 year old. 

Yeh just noticed he's 6ft 6 and he's also got a decent build on him. Looks like a big strong unit. 

3 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Reading in the paper today  Matt Smith ( Millwall ) who qualifies through his grandmother is targeting a place in Scotland's Euro 2021 squad.  Thoughts ? 

Might be wrong, but I'm sure he's another who's turned us down before. They're all coming out the woodwork now. At least Caulker committed himself a while back

So guys like Matt Smith and fringe players, next Press Conference Clarke has, he should name drop them and say, I read about players X Y Z, and I would tell them to get themselves into great form and make us sit up and take note.  A player who is 6ft 6 has physical attributes that are useful, same as Oli Burke's pace is a useful attribute.  Would you take height over pace?  Potentially, but give them a carrot and then maybe have a look at a few of them in some pre-tournament friendlies or even some World Cup qualifier squads. You can't bring in more than maybe 3 of them, but same with the likes of Gauld, if I was Clarke I would looking to have plan B, C and D - and a tall player who towers over everyone else might well be a plan C or D against a tricky team.  

Glad to see someone else bring  Steven Caulker up again.  Good to hear the guy finally seems to have found some stability in his life. I don't think there's much doubt that at his best he has the quality to represent us. 

He actually asked to be considered last year when we where struggling so what's not to like 😉

https://talksport.com/football/794311/steven-caulker-exclusive-tottenham-turkey-rebuilding-life-serie-a-family/

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Glad to see someone else bring  Steven Caulker up again.  Good to hear the guy finally seems to have found some stability in his life. I don't think there's much doubt that at his best he has the quality to represent us. 

He actually asked to be considered last year when we where struggling so what's not to like 😉

https://talksport.com/football/794311/steven-caulker-exclusive-tottenham-turkey-rebuilding-life-serie-a-family/

Why, he's played for England, he's English. If England came in again to play for them in the Euros he would choose them over us again, why do you want someone who isn't truly committed in the squad over guys who are. Imagine Gallagher or Considine losing their place to a guy like this, it would be a disgrace

14 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I would drop Paterson for an actual bulldozer

On 11/29/2020 at 11:05 AM, ElChris04 said:

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

O'Donnell, Mctominay, Gallagher, Tierney, Robertson, Palmer, Hanley, Cooper, Considine, Hickey

Jack, Mcginn, McGregor, Fleck, Armstrong, Gilmour

Fraser, Dykes, Christie, Mcburnie

• 1 month later...

Two months on from that amazing qualification night and a couple of months from next games. There's been a few standouts in from Tierney,  McTominay and Armstrong; quite a few injuries and Covid absences. Doesn't seem to be that many staking a claim to break into the squad and could certainly do with a few more goals from the forwards.