Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think Kevin Nisbet should take shankland place in the next squads and maybe even the euro squad. Guys clearly a good striker and could end up with nearly 30 goals in all comps this season. 

Half of us were saying that before the last squad got named. On the plus side you have got him in instead of Shankland and not the greatest non scoring striker in the EPL

I think Dykes and McBurnie are absolutely nailed on in the squad at this moment in time and don't think it is massively outside the realms of possibility McBurnie could start vs Czech's.  Dykes got an assist at the weekend and if he can stay in QPR side it is his position to lose but at the moment it doesn't look a certainty.  

McBurnie isn't a goal scorer which is pretty obvious but if he gets the monkey off his back he might chip in with a few.  What he's there to do was pretty evident through the Slovakia game - our second choice back three weren't comfortable passing or taking it into midfield so we did resort to hitting it up to McBurnie and he got us up the pitch quite easily and successfully at times.  In the Eruos we're going to need an out ball like that and I honestly can't see a starting XI without Dykes or McBurnie in it.  

Sheff Utd are bound to panic at some point and either spunk loads of money on another striker and/or sack their manager.  It's conceivable McBurnie could end up in the Championship on loan to a team at the top end of the table in January and which is more his level where potentially he proves to be a more inform Championship striker than Dykes by the time of the tournament.  

10 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think Dykes and McBurnie are absolutely nailed on in the squad at this moment in time and don't think it is massively outside the realms of possibility McBurnie could start vs Czech's.  Dykes got an assist at the weekend and if he can stay in QPR side it is his position to lose but at the moment it doesn't look a certainty.  

McBurnie isn't a goal scorer which is pretty obvious but if he gets the monkey off his back he might chip in with a few.  What he's there to do was pretty evident through the Slovakia game - our second choice back three weren't comfortable passing or taking it into midfield so we did resort to hitting it up to McBurnie and he got us up the pitch quite easily and successfully at times.  In the Eruos we're going to need an out ball like that and I honestly can't see a starting XI without Dykes or McBurnie in it.  

Sheff Utd are bound to panic at some point and either spunk loads of money on another striker and/or sack their manager.  It's conceivable McBurnie could end up in the Championship on loan to a team at the top end of the table in January and which is more his level where potentially he proves to be a more inform Championship striker than Dykes by the time of the tournament.  

I really hope we don't start mcburnie v the Czechs. It's dykes up top and if not him then I would prefer Griffiths(if fit) or Nisbet.

53 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

McBurnie has barely scored in 2020 and should be far from nailed on in the squad. 

Griffiths, Nisbet & then guys like Brophy & Shankland (if he starts scoring again) should be the back up to Dykes at the moment

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I really hope we don't start mcburnie v the Czechs. It's dykes up top and if not him then I would prefer Griffiths(if fit) or Nisbet.

Not saying its what I want but with 2 up top one is always going to be a lump especially as we'll be the weakest team in the group and the options are pretty slim.  Not really seen Nisbet so can't really comment on him but in the 20 plus caps for Griffiths his strengths aren't with his back to goal - he's more a goal scorer granted but we need to get up the pitch first.    

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McBurnie has barely scored in 2020 and should be far from nailed on in the squad. 

Griffiths, Nisbet & then guys like Brophy & Shankland (if he starts scoring again) should be the back up to Dykes at the moment

Can't comment on Nisbet, possibly even Brophy, but the system we have will require two lumps in the squad and then decide from there what the 'little uns' will look like.  At this moment in time I can see no other options for that role other than Dykes and McBurnie.  

His primary role, whether folk like it or not, is getting us up the pitch - we're not going dominate teams where we can carry a poacher like Shankland and to a degree Griffiths.  Both of them would have to play off the lump in the current system, preferably off Dykes.  Clarke is persisting with McBurnie for a reason and can't see him being discarded before the Euros unless he's completely dropped by Sheff Utd for the months before or injured.

Ideally what we need is McBurnie, Griffiths and Burke merged into one player whereas we have three whose individual strengths are fairly average at best.    

More than just an alternative to Dykes or McBurnie I think we need an alternative to the system when things aren't going to plan. When we go 1 nil down or when we need to break a team down we struggle. We are a little thin on creativity, most of our chances come from our pressing, or feeding off second balls. When this doesn't work we really need players who can come off the bench and change the game and apart from Christie and Fraser there is no one else really who could unlock a team with a pass or bit of skill. I think we need to look at players such as Ryan Gauld, Billy Gilmour, Mikey Johnston if they are all fit and on form as players who could potentially come on and open teams up.

On 11/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Bino's said:

We do need goals

'Scotland had five shots on target against Slovakia and didn't score. They also had five corners to one. They had seven attempts on target to Israel's two - and 12 corners to Israel's two. Once more, they drew a blank.

They've scored three goals in their past six games. Including the extra-time against Israel and Serbia, that amounts to three goals in 10 hours of football. They scored five goals in six games in their Nations League group and two of them were penalties'

Three goals in 10 hours would be regarded as a dry period for some strikers let alone an entire team.

Looking back at my comments on the stats teams that are behind often create more chances so losing teams can often end up with better stats other than the one that matters. 

If McBurnie is the answer to anything, then it is very clear to me that somebody is asking the wrong fukin questions.

He can't control a ball. Even Kenny Mysecondtouchisatackle Miller was far better than him. I'm not sure if he is any good at passing because he never has the ball under control long enough to make a proper pass. If the ball does happen to go to one of our players it's usually just because of a lucky bounce off a knee or some other sclaff. He never seems to head a ball with any conviction. He's one of those players who seems to get smaller when they jump. A lot of the time he is on the way down again when the ball bounces off his head. He has got no pace. He doesn't even seem to be able to run properly. Is his feet really that big? Or, is he wearing clown shoes? Might explain why he can't control a ball?

What has he ever done for Scotland apart from waste a shirt? If he is the best centre forward we can find, we would be better playing without one.

Edited by Orraloon

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If McBurnie is the answer to anything, then it is very clear to me that somebody is asking the wrong fukin questions.

He can't control a ball. Even Kenny Mysecondtouchisatackle Miller was far better than him. I'm not sure if he is any good at passing because he never has the ball under control long enough to make a proper pass. If the ball does happen to go to one of our players it's usually just because of a lucky bounce off a knee or some other sclaff. He never seems to head a ball with any conviction. He's one of those players who seems to get smaller when they jump. A lot of the time he is on the way down again when the ball bounces off his head. He has got no pace. He doesn't even seem to be able to run properly. Is his feet really that big? Or, is he wearing clown shoes? Might explain why he can't control a ball?

What has he ever done for Scotland apart from waste a shirt? If he is the best centre forward we can find, we would be better playing without one.

This is very accurate 

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The first sentence was interesting and suggested there was going to be some constructive argument and reasoning forthcoming.

Instead just a load of the same old McBurnie bashing.

If you've got nothing new to say why bother saying anything.

McBurnie like all our other recent squad strikers will be lucky be getting any game time when the squad is selected.

One thing for sure is that there is going to be more twists and turns over the next six months,  and not just the forwards. Injuries,  loss of form for existing squad or increase in form for those not yet picked. For the first time in 22 years though there is an end product of the Euros and before then some WC  qualifiers against potentially some top European teams in March. If Che Adams/Nisbet continues with good form can they be ignored? Can Gilmour even get back on the bench at Chelsea?  Will the 3 subs rule in EPL mean a whole pile of injuries after the short summer break? This thread started as just for fun but will probably be the most popular over the next 6 months😀😀 

20 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Much rather have what we have than adams. And anyway “lots of reports” doesn’t cut it. There isn’t a human alive that would be such an unadulterated bawsack as to do that .... is there?

It’s unfortunately something you can see happening for sure 

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The first sentence was interesting and suggested there was going to be some constructive argument and reasoning forthcoming.

Instead just a load of the same old McBurnie bashing.

If you've got nothing new to say why bother saying anything.

McBurnie like all our other recent squad strikers will be lucky be getting any game time when the squad is selected.

I’m not so sure, he’ll almost definitely be in the squad so game time is highly possible. 

Bashing or not, it’s mostly accurate. He’s brutal to watch unfortunately. I want him to come good but watching him against Serbia was painful. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m not so sure, he’ll almost definitely be in the squad so game time is highly possible. 

Bashing or not, it’s mostly accurate. He’s brutal to watch unfortunately. I want him to come good but watching him against Serbia was painful. 

Worst of it is I meant at club level, very easy to see Dykes, McBurnie, Griffiths Paterson and Burke just being bench options att their clubs pretty soon.

Shankland just isn't good enough. 

Wait and see if Nisbet moves in January. 

24 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Kenny McLean out for 4 or 5 months with a knee injury. Probably rules him out of the Euros 

Well four months out would mean he would be back by the end of March and five months would mean he'd be back at the end of April so he still has time. However, it would open the door for John Fleck or Billy Gilmour.