Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Worst case scenaio:-

Belgium

Poland

SCOTLAND

Finland

Cyprus

Moldova

Lol that would be grim although not impossible. Poland are average barring lewandowkski. Third would be the probable outcome for us. 

Actually average is bit unfair on Poland, they do have some quality players outwith lewandowski. 

Edited by mccaughey85

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Belgium

Poland

SCOTLAND

Finland

Cyprus

Moldova

Shows you what a shambles the world rankings are. How on Earth can Finland be a pot 4 team with the results they’ve had?

I can almost guarantee you they’ll be our pot 4 team. 

15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

How do you know we’ll be in a group of 6?

I think they will probably need to have at least a couple of international breaks with three games instead of two to try and fit everything in although it might be easy enough with the World Cup not being in the summer. 

The four nations league A group winners will be placed in the four groups of 5 as they are playing final of nations league in October 2021 so those teams will need to have two fewer World cup qualfiers otherwise there's no space to fit them in.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Belgium

Poland

SCOTLAND

Finland

Cyprus

Moldova

That is still hardly 2008 standard.

Poland probably slightly weaker than 2015 although they've been consistant qualifiers over last 6 years. Should've taken at least 4 points off them in that section btw.

Cyprus can be a tricky away but beat them this time last year in Nicosia.

Finland done great to qualify for euros and have some decent top level players now, are they really pot 4 with their record last 18 months? They could still get top spot in their nations group if they beat Wales so bit surprised by that.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

The four nations league A group winners will be placed in the four groups of 5 as they are playing final of nations league in October 2021 so those teams will need to have two fewer World cup qualfiers otherwise there's no space to fit them in.

Yeah but 16 other teams will also be placed into the groups of 5. Why can’t we be one of them (we can). 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Does our recent qualification for the finals mean we move up the rankings and how will that benefit us going forward?

It does not impact the World Cup qualifying. We had an outside chance of creeping into Pot 2 if we had beaten Slovakia and Israel but that has vanished now so will remain in Pot 3.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Does our recent qualification for the finals mean we move up the rankings and how will that benefit us going forward?

Getting to the finals doesn’t improve your ranking (other than the points you get for winning the games that get you there but since we technically drew with Israel and Serbia we won’t get a lot of ranking points). If we can beat Israel and get promoted to league A of the Nations League we will be in pot 2 (possibly pot 1 but unlikely) for the Euro 2024 qualifiers as these pots are decided on the final ranking of the preceding Nations League. 

The worst possible position we could finish in league A would be 16th so that would guarantee us pot 2 for the next Euros which would be huge. We would also be more or less guaranteed a playoff for the next Euros if we need one. 

Back to the 23 and imho I feel 20 spots are set. Namely the starting 11 against Serbia plus the following 7 subs;

Goals------ Gordon 

Def--------Mc Kenna and Palmer.

Mid--------Armstrong and Fraser.

Forwards--Griff and Mc Burnie.

Of the remaining 5 places I don't feel there is a need for another midfielder as we have tons of them starting and on the bench.

2 of the other places I see as certainties as in  Mc Laughlin ( as the extra goalie) and Forrest as a back up striker.

Other 3 places are more difficult.

But I can see Considine getting the nod as a defender due to  covering both RB and CB positions . Cooper too as a conventional CB should make it.

Leaves us with 1 striker position. To me it will be between Burke, Naismith , Paterson and Shankland. Naismith for me gets the nod due to his experience, nous, scoring record and also his positivity around the squad.

KEEPERS

Marshall GK

Gordon

McLaughlin

DEFENDERS

Robertson LWB 

Tierney LCB (LWB cover, RWB cover)

McKenna CCB (LCB cover)

Gallagher CCB (RCB cover)

McTominay RCB (CM cover) 

Palmer RWB (RCB cover)

O’Donnell RWB 

Forrest RWB (FW2 cover)

MIDFIELDERS

McGregor CM

Jack CM

Gilmour CM

McLean CM

McGinn CAM

Armstrong CAM

ATTACKERS

Dykes FW1

McBurnie FW1

Fraser FW2 (RWB cover)

Christie FW2 (CAM cover)

Griffiths FW1

FW1: Main Striker

FW2: 2nd Striker

Problems are:

There isn’t a suitable replacement for McTominay at RCB. He has been brilliant at stepping forward and playing passes through the lines. I’ve noticed Palmer has played there for Sheffield Wednesday this season - he might be the replacement instead of calling up the likes of Hanley.

It’s very harsh not to call up Fleck. He should be called up if Gilmour doesn’t get game time. 

I want to include Gauld or Morgan. But this is our best position, hopefully they can keep pushing for a place in the squad. 

If McBurnie can’t improve for us and Sheffield United we don’t have an able replacement for Dykes. I hate to say it but Fletcher is having a good season so far and would do a job as a squad player. He’s made himself unavailable for us twice though?!? Not ideal. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

16 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

KEEPERS

Marshall GK

Gordon

McLaughlin

DEFENDERS

Robertson LWB 

Tierney LCB (LWB cover, RWB cover)

McKenna CCB (LCB cover)

Gallagher CCB (RCB cover)

McTominay RCB (CM cover) 

Palmer RWB (RCB cover)

O’Donnell RWB 

Forrest RWB (FW2 cover)

MIDFIELDERS

McGregor CM

Jack CM

Gilmour CM

McLean CM

McGinn CAM

Armstrong CAM

ATTACKERS

Dykes FW1

McBurnie FW1

Fraser FW2 (RWB cover)

Christie FW2 (CAM cover)

Griffiths FW1

FW1: Main Striker

FW2: 2nd Striker

Problems are:

There isn’t a suitable replacement for McTominay at RCB. He has been brilliant at stepping forward and playing passes through the lines. I’ve noticed Palmer has played there for Sheffield Wednesday this season - he might be the replacement instead of calling up the likes of Hanley.

It’s very harsh not to call up Fleck. He should be called up if Gilmour doesn’t get game time. 

I want to include Gauld or Morgan. But this is our best position, hopefully they can keep pushing for a place in the squad. 

If McBurnie can’t improve for us and Sheffield United we don’t have an able replacement for Dykes. I hate to say it but Fletcher is having a good season so far and would do a job as a squad player. He’s made himself unavailable for us twice though?!? Not ideal. 

That pretty much echoes my thinking except I just can't see Forrest as a right wing back when McTom needs an orthodox right back to cover for him as he is still new to the position. You're right about Palmer but I'd still call up Hanley as we have enough left-footers.

You know who scores goals and is tailor-made for Dykes cover? Che Adams but if he touts himself now he should be told to GTF as it would be a huge smack in the mouth for the lads who got us here. Certainly he has no chance with England.

As a McTom replacement maybe John Souttar will recover in time?

I’m back to being 16 again at Euro 96 and analysing various cogitations of how the group could play out.  For us I think the fixtures are in the most preferable order we could want.  Both Scotland and Czech Republic will  think three points on the board in the first game and a 3rd place qualifier is already realistic. 

I veer from getting carried away – win the first game at home and then we’re up against England where we’ve nowt to lose and they could be under all sorts of pressure if they don’t win in the opening game like Euro 96.  Come out of that without a horsing and a cheeky draw vs Croatia could see us even sneak 2nd – at home, the stars align, Croatia are declining and have only won 2 nations league games ever; they qualified for the Euros from an easy group where away from home they drew with Wales and Azerbaijan and took a spanking off of Slovakia.  And breath………………..

Then swing to remembering this is Scotland so maybe will try to find new ways to torture me.  Czech C and B teams have given us problems in the Nations League so first game their A side are more than good enough to beat us and England at home will probably be too good so we’re written off going into the last game.  We spank Croatia but are one goal off getting the last 3rd place qualifying spot.  Och but maybe 1 win is enough………… 

Looked at Euro 16 and what the worst 3rd place qualifier had to do to get through and wish I hadn’t!  Three points was enough but also needed 0 goal difference or better.  So we could feasibly beat the Czech’s 1-0 and lose the other two games 0-1 and go out!! 

Must be a masochist or something because have seven more months of going through this pointless bollocks but am absolutely loving it!! 

The Czechs and Croatia (to me) are of a similar level and not far away from Serbia's level too. When we put our mind to it we showed we could live with Serbia and had much the better of the 90 minutes against them. Remember too that the vast majority on here think Israel are gash yet the other night the lost 1-0 away to the Czechs with ten men.

5 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I’m back to being 16 again at Euro 96 and analysing various cogitations of how the group could play out.  For us I think the fixtures are in the most preferable order we could want.  Both Scotland and Czech Republic will  think three points on the board in the first game and a 3rd place qualifier is already realistic. 

I veer from getting carried away – win the first game at home and then we’re up against England where we’ve nowt to lose and they could be under all sorts of pressure if they don’t win in the opening game like Euro 96.  Come out of that without a horsing and a cheeky draw vs Croatia could see us even sneak 2nd – at home, the stars align, Croatia are declining and have only won 2 nations league games ever; they qualified for the Euros from an easy group where away from home they drew with Wales and Azerbaijan and took a spanking off of Slovakia.  And breath………………..

Then swing to remembering this is Scotland so maybe will try to find new ways to torture me.  Czech C and B teams have given us problems in the Nations League so first game their A side are more than good enough to beat us and England at home will probably be too good so we’re written off going into the last game.  We spank Croatia but are one goal off getting the last 3rd place qualifying spot.  Och but maybe 1 win is enough………… 

Looked at Euro 16 and what the worst 3rd place qualifier had to do to get through and wish I hadn’t!  Three points was enough but also needed 0 goal difference or better.  So we could feasibly beat the Czech’s 1-0 and lose the other two games 0-1 and go out!! 

Must be a masochist or something because have seven more months of going through this pointless bollocks but am absolutely loving it!! 

What was the score against Slovakia?

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

What was the score against Slovakia?

Edit - read it wrong - think they spanked Slovakia 0-4.

In the other away games they drew with Wales and Azerbaijan and lost to Hungary.  Tight group - Croatia top with 17 point and Hungary 4th on 12.    

Edited by ThistleWhistle

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The Czechs and Croatia (to me) are of a similar level and not far away from Serbia's level too. When we put our mind to it we showed we could live with Serbia and had much the better of the 90 minutes against them. Remember too that the vast majority on here think Israel are gash yet the other night the lost 1-0 away to the Czechs with ten men.

Yeah, I don't understand that mentality about Israel. It's not like Scotland fans haven't seen them play recently. But for some reason folk just can't seem to accept that Israel can be a reasonable side. We've lost to them by one goal, beat them by one goal and drew with them twice. They are pretty much on a par with us based on recent results. 

7 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Got overly excited looking at their qualification table :)

Seven more months of this sh!t to go and all.  

They do tend to have some strange results during qualification. I seem to remember they got humped home and away by some minnows who had already been knocked out of the competition a few years back. :lol:

Edited by Orraloon

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yeah, I don't understand that mentality about Israel. It's not like Scotland fans haven't seen them play recently. But for some reason folk just can't seem to accept that Israel can be a reasonable side. We've lost to them by one goal, beat them by one goal and drew with them twice. They are pretty much on a par with us based on recent results. 

I'd say at best we're slightly better than them but they have a big advantage in having a goal scoring machine that just needs one chance.  The other thing is their right back really seems to have the beating of Robertson and seems to pin him back more than the other way about which really impacts our attacking threat.  

I'm really wary of the next game as we were absolutely dead on our feet when we played the Czech's in the third game of the last round of fixtures - this time there's travel to factor in too plus I think Israel are only playing twice this international break (unless I'm being a f@nny again).