Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

If Forrest is fit and firing he will be at the euros. Calling up players who have already retired and failed in previous campaigns is a horrible thought. 

Forrest will definitely be there if fit. He hasn’t retired and has contributed to our qualification and remains one of the best Scottish players even if some people on here don’t rate him.

The door is open for anyone who hasn’t turned their back on Scotland to make the squad if they can show they are better than the guys in the squad just now. 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You are entitled to your opinion but I would ask you why on Earth you would think it would be OK for someone who retired from international football to come back for a shot at glory at the expense of someone who helped get us there?

In my opinion, anyone who has retired before now can come back if they like (if Clarke thinks they would improve the squad) but only for qualifiers/Nations league games. The players that got us to Euro 2020 are the players that should represent us there (with the exception of anyone that breaks through between now and then like Gilmour and McCrorie etc.). 

I shouldn't have brought it up. I was just talking hypothetically. I'd only be okay with it if we had an exceptional player that had retired and it would significantly improve the squad. Kind of like what Larsson did for Sweden in circa 2004(?). He wasn't involved in their qualifiers but I'm sure none of their squad or country minded him playing. But since we have no retired players of that calibre, it's a moot point. Obviously it'll be a different scenario if it is an SOS. Like if we had an outbreak in the camp or an injury crisis.

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Forrest will definitely be there if fit. He hasn’t retired and has contributed to our qualification and remains one of the best Scottish players even if some people on here don’t rate him.

The door is open for anyone who hasn’t turned their back on Scotland to make the squad if they can show they are better than the guys in the squad just now. 

To be fair I don't think the TAMB can be used as a great gauge of football knowledge. In recent months I have read posts berating most of the players in our side last night - that says it all really.

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I shouldn't have brought it up. I was just talking hypothetically. I'd only be okay with it if we had an exceptional player that had retired and it would significantly improve the squad. Kind of like what Larsson did for Sweden in circa 2004(?). He wasn't involved in their qualifiers but I'm sure none of their squad or country minded him playing. But since we have no retired players of that calibre, it's a moot point. Obviously it'll be a different scenario if it is an SOS. Like if we had an outbreak in the camp or an injury crisis.

Yeah I would have no problem if our first choice keepers were injured and Clarke had to go cap in hand to McGregor and ask if he would come back for the finals. Likewise if he had to go to Snodgrass or Brown if we had an injury crisis in midfield. 

There’s a big difference between that and having a “clean slate” where all these guys can just swan back in the door now that the guys that have replaced them have managed to do what they couldn’t. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, it wasn't so long ago that an international retirement was devastating news. Now it barely makes a headline. We are so strong with the squad we have, and getting stronger by the week.

Clarke is going to have a nightmare whittling a fully available squad down to just 23. And 6 months is an eternity in football. By June you could end up having David Turnbull, Mikey Johnstone and Forrest all tearing it up in Scotland. Gerrard might finally give some of the Rangers wonderkids a chance and surprise us all. If Hickey is still playing in Serie A every week, we can't ignore him either. Then it's quite realistic that some other younger players get decent transfers in January and force their way in e.g McRorie, Ferguson et al.

We're spoilt for choice now, and I think the choices will only continue to grow. As you say, heaven forbid we end up with an injury crisis.

The main takeaway I got from your post there is that if you're a key player for Aberdeen you need a transfer to be considered, but if you get a few games for Rangers then you should be straight in.

9 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I assume there will be an allocation fir Wembley for SSC members. Anyone any idea how many we are likely to get? 

I think COVID will still have a pretty big say in that. It would be great if we could get back to full stadiums by then but I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Things could significantly change in the coming months, but if I had to guess the 23-man squad I reckon we'll go with this (with probable/possible choices in italics, absolute definites in bold):

Goalkeepers: Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, Gallagher, O'Donnell, Cooper, Palmer, McTominay

Midfielders: Jack, McGregor, Armstrong, McGinn, McLean, Forrest, Christie, Gilmour

Forwards: Fraser, Dykes, Griffiths, McBurnie

I don't think that will be far away from the final squad. Personally I would replace Forrest with another defender, probably Considine. And I would have Shankland before McBurnie. I would like to see Shankland play at least 90 minutes over the next two games to give him some more experience at this level. 

I don't know how Clarke will handle it but in the past, when we have qualified, the manager has named a provisional squad of 40 and then whittle it down from that at the last minute. 

If its a 23 man squad then Clarke is going to have a nightmare having to leave out guys who he probably likes and who have been regulars in the squad. The squad for these games will probably be the squad for the finals but he has to somehow fit in fraser, Forrest. Then theres guys like Gilmour, Turnbull. If Gilmour starts playing for Chelsea regularly then there is no way Clarke can exclude him. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think that will be far away from the final squad. Personally I would replace Forrest with another defender, probably Considine. And I would have Shankland before McBurnie. I would like to see Shankland play at least 90 minutes over the next two games to give him some more experience at this level. 

I don't know how Clarke will handle it but in the past, when we have qualified, the manager has named a provisional squad of 40 and then whittle it down from that at the last minute. 

I think Shankland might have to make way for forrest or Gilmour. Hes not exactly started that well this season and hes probably one of the few players Clarke will cut to make way for forrest or Gilmour. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think Shankland might have to make way for forrest or Gilmour. Hes not exactly started that well this season and hes probably one of the few players Clarke will cut to make way for forrest or Gilmour. 

I'm not sure he will drop anybody for Forrest.

I'm talking about Shankland instead of McBurnie. McBurnie has had loads of chances and has offered next to nothing. I want to see what Shankland can do for us.

36 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure he will drop anybody for Forrest.

I'm talking about Shankland instead of McBurnie. McBurnie has had loads of chances and has offered next to nothing. I want to see what Shankland can do for us.

I would prefer he dropped mcburnie as well but I am pretty sure he won't. Shanklands club form hasn't been brilliant since he moved up to the top flight. Nisbet is more deserving of a place in the squad. Forrest will be included by Clarke whether ppl on here like it or not so I don't see the point in discussing his merits. 

I think in Clarke’s mind it is dykes/mcburnie competing for centre forward and Fraser/Christie/griffiths for inside forward, with the potential option of griffiths as a centre forward.  Forrest a wildcard if he decides to change shape and put a wide player on.  It’s a bit like Neil McCann in the brown era... he was used occasionally like Wembley 

2 hours ago, COLT NY said:

The main takeaway I got from your post there is that if you're a key player for Aberdeen you need a transfer to be considered, but if you get a few games for Rangers then you should be straight in.

Oh God no! I did not remotely mean to give that impression at all. In fact, in an earlier post today I actually suggested some players move back to Scotland to increase their game time since Clarke doesn't discriminate against teams or leagues. I should have quoted "wonderkids" as it was a tongue in cheek reference to the reports that Rangers have tons of superstars ready to step up. Not a serious suggestion at all. 

Also, I'd happily have McCrorie, Ferguson and any other Scottish based player in my squad. I should have been clearer and said that if either of those 2 (and anyone else) are able to force their way into our top 23, then something extraordinary will have to happen. Hickey being a good example of that. Again, not saying Hickey should play just because he is in Serie A but it certainly highlights him more.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I think in Clarke’s mind it is dykes/mcburnie competing for centre forward and Fraser/Christie/griffiths for inside forward, with the potential option of griffiths as a centre forward.  Forrest a wildcard if he decides to change shape and put a wide player on.  It’s a bit like Neil McCann in the brown era... he was used occasionally like Wembley 

The whole set up has to have Dykes McBurnie type forward. You need some one who can win the ball in the opposition half. Shankland or Griffiths cant do that.

Pretty well nailed it there with the good old fashioned inside forward.

10 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Forrest, Fraser and Christie will all be in the squad, and they’ll be competing for one position. Albeit this seems impossible. 

Fraser and forrest could be tested at rwb before the tournament and christie could drop into midfield if there are any injuries so I wouldn't necessarily say they are all competing for 1 spot. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fraser and forrest could be tested at rwb before the tournament and christie could drop into midfield if there are any injuries so I wouldn't necessarily say they are all competing for 1 spot. 

No that would be an awful misuse of their talents when O'Donnell would and does a far better job there. Forrest has been tried there and looked awful. Fraservhas already shown he links up very well with Dykes.

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be fair I don't think the TAMB can be used as a great gauge of football knowledge. In recent months I have read posts berating most of the players in our side last night - that says it all really.

True story. Lots of people dismissed Dykes when he was selected. The people outraged at Clarke’s subs last night made me laugh as well. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Forrest has played at right wing back before I’m sure. It didn’t go well. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

True story. Lots of people dismissed Dykes when he was selected. The people outraged at Clarke’s subs last night made me laugh as well. 

Oh there is so much mote.

O'Donnell, Gallagher and Considine not up to the job. Oh no they are gash mentality. Fraser should never be picked again. And plethora of posts like drop McGregor etc etc. And, of course, the growing clamour to sack Clarke.

Edited by Caledonian Craig