Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

Just for fun.😁

Two games v Czechs and Croatia at Hampden. You know who at Wembley.

Czech game is very winnable I think which will some 3rd place teams getting through would give a good chance of making last 16. Northern Ireland got through with 3 points last time.

Interesting who people will want in the squad, won't be too much different to tonight barring injury I suspect but think Gilmour will be a cert aswell once he's fit and starts playing for Chelsea again.

Stick with 3/5/2 etc as that's made the whole team far more solid.

Hopefully some percentage of fans in to make things more special around the games.

2 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Will make the squad players really focus in the next two matches. Barring injuries probably 6 places up for grabs.

Can he really leave players like Gallagher and O'Donnell out?

Gallagher is a complete shoe in for a start. 

He was excellent tonight and on his performances for Scotland will probably be getting looked at by some bigger clubs 

2 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Will make the squad players really focus in the next two matches. Barring injuries probably 6 places up for grabs.

Can he really leave players like Gallagher and O'Donnell out?

Gally is a must really. 4 games, one goal conceded says it all.

Would like to see how Cooper and McKenna do in the back 3 now it's more stable. Gives the option of pushing McTom back into midfield and get the calm passing going a little further up the pitch.

There are now reliable options in the weak areas of the pitch, CB and upfront with Dykes a revelation so that's the big success of this qualifcation campaign regardless of qualification imo.

We go into the tournament with no fear.

It feels there's not the weight of the expectation there might otherwise have been if we'd been the home nation. We got there the hard way, we had a lifeline, we took it!

2 minutes ago, exile said:

We go into the tournament with no fear.

It feels there's not the weight of the expectation there might otherwise have been if we'd been the home nation. We got there the hard way, we had a lifeline, we took it!

Think playing Croatia game last game is good aswell as they could have qualified by then or need just a point to make it. Still got excellent players but plenty of them are over 30 now so think they peaked at 2018 world cup and won't be as strong in the summer.

I think there's a realistic chance of getting out of the group. I know Czech were disrupted by Covid in nations league but they're nothing special compared to the teams they were putting out 15 years back so they're a beatable team in major competition particularly with some home advantage.

42 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Gallagher is a complete shoe in for a start. 

He was excellent tonight and on his performances for Scotland will probably be getting looked at by some bigger clubs 

Hes been excellent, he defo must be on the radar of bigger clubs. Can see motherwell getting offers for him soon. 

15 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Think playing Croatia game last game is good aswell as they could have qualified by then or need just a point to make it. Still got excellent players but plenty of them are over 30 now so think they peaked at 2018 world cup and won't be as strong in the summer.

I think there's a realistic chance of getting out of the group. I know Czech were disrupted by Covid in nations league but they're nothing special compared to the teams they were putting out 15 years back so they're a beatable team in major competition particularly with some home advantage.

The Czech game is probably a must win for us. They are the team that we have the best chance of beating. 

Do we know what the split of Hampden and Wembley is going to be yet? I.e. where will the majority of Scotland fans be? 

I can’t see the squad changing much other than Forrest and Fraser coming in, just not sure who drops out. Very strong squad and great opportunity to get off to the perfect start. Naturally I’ve already convinced myself we’ll win it! 

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Croatia's going to be at Hampden - so it'll be a bit more of an even game (hopefully) than it would be at any other ground being used in the competition.

That being said, anything against England or Croatia would be a bonus for us. If we beat the Czechs and give a good go in the other two, I think that's all we can the most we can ask for. The very fact we've qualified shows the progress we've made.

Edited by Clyde1998

13 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Croatia's going to be at Hampden - so it'll be a bit more of an even game (hopefully) than it would be at any other ground being used in the competition.

That being said, anything against England or Croatia would be a bonus for us. If we beat the Czechs and give a good go in the other two, I think that's all we can the most we can ask for. The very fact we've qualified shows the progress we've made.

I am just happy we are there. As long as we don't get jumped in all three games I will be happy. 

For the first time in this generation, we're going to have players climbing over each other to be involved. 

I predict some players looking for moves back to Scotland in January to improve their game time and be in with a chance. Clarke has shown he won't discriminate against teams or leagues.

I also wonder if anyone will "coincidentally" come out of retirement and make themselves available.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

For the first time in this generation, we're going to have players climbing over each other to be involved. 

I predict some players looking for moves back to Scotland in January to improve their game time and be in with a chance. Clarke has shown he won't discriminate against teams or leagues.

I also wonder if anyone will "coincidentally" come out of retirement and make themselves available.

Anyone that tries this should be told in no uncertain terms to fuck off. 

Brown is past it and Snodgrass wouldn’t improve our squad. 

The only retired guy I can think of that may improve the squad is McGregor but I think Marshall has more than earned the right to be our number 1 so McGregor can bolt as well. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Anyone that tries this should be told in no uncertain terms to fuck off. 

Brown is past it and Snodgrass wouldn’t improve our squad. 

The only retired guy I can think of that may improve the squad is McGregor but I think Marshall has more than earned the right to be our number 1 so McGregor can bolt as well. 

I reckon Steven fletcher must be kicking himself as he has scored few recently and would be a better option than mcburnie. 

40 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I reckon Steven fletcher must be kicking himself as he has scored few recently and would be a better option than mcburnie. 

You can add to that list Robert Snodgrass, James McArthur, Scott Brown, Alan McGregor and anyone else who decided they didn't fancy it in these past few years. I doubt we're missing any of them at this moment, but whether they'd have been in the team or not they missed the chance to be involved. Great to see the likes of Marshall and Gordon jumping around in the huddle after the game, those guys have been there for most of the 22 years and keep answering the call.

24 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Steve Clarke's answer to any recently retired players phoning him up and wanting back in just for the tournament should be .....

Begbie from the movie Trainspotting photography by Lorenzo Agius |  Trainspotting, Begbie trainspotting, Robert carlyle

It should be the same to any English boys who qualify but haven't been too sure up until this point.

25 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

You can add to that list Robert Snodgrass, James McArthur, Scott Brown, Alan McGregor and anyone else who decided they didn't fancy it in these past few years. I doubt we're missing any of them at this moment, but whether they'd have been in the team or not they missed the chance to be involved. Great to see the likes of Marshall and Gordon jumping around in the huddle after the game, those guys have been there for most of the 22 years and keep answering the call.

Yeh I am happy for Craig Gordon and you never know he might be needed if Marshall gets injured.