Serbia v Scotland - Match thread - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Serbia v Scotland - Match thread

vanderark14

Fantastic wee clip, Craig! It's brilliant seeing our men's and women's side qualifying for tournaments.

Everyone was superb last night. Albeit, and feels a bit harsh for singling him out, but McBurnie again was pish. He was fairly alright against the Czech Rep when he came on, but really don't rate him at all as a player. I don't watch enough EPL or Sheffield United, but don't see the fuss at all. Dykes is 100% and does everything that McBurnie is meant to do but so much better.

I'm so happy for Stephen O'Donnell. He's had his critics, and after the Russia game(s) I just felt this was possibly a level too high for him, e.g he'd be alright against Estonia, Lithuania etc but struggle against very good sides, but really wanted it to work out for him and so happy his last four games he's been outstanding. I worry about him defensively at times, but he's a clever player and can spot a great pass. Can tell by his attitude in interviews, belting out FOS how much it means to him playing for Scotland. I'd keep him as our natural right-back.

Ryan Jack as well. A superb couple of performances from him. Really hitting his peak of late. Such a vital addition to the team. Only wee, and it's a tiny criticism, is he occasionally gives the ball away after winning it or breaking down an oppositions pass.

McGregor - he has been superb of late. He has his critics, but his intelligence, skill and pace are vital to the team.

Tierney was brilliant too. He's so composed on the ball, and a good defender. Such an asset to have someone who can play as part of a back 5 or a left/wing-back.

Gallagher - just fantastic. He had Mitrovic in his pocket the whole game. Amazing, just a shame he isn't 4-5 years younger, by no means ancient and seems very fit, and still only 28 so hopefully get 4-5 years more service out of him. All for redemption too and second chances.

Just fantastic, all of them! Still high as a kite on fresh air and last night.

33 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Fantastic wee clip, Craig! It's brilliant seeing our men's and women's side qualifying for tournaments.

Everyone was superb last night. Albeit, and feels a bit harsh for singling him out, but McBurnie again was pish. He was fairly alright against the Czech Rep when he came on, but really don't rate him at all as a player. I don't watch enough EPL or Sheffield United, but don't see the fuss at all. Dykes is 100% and does everything that McBurnie is meant to do but so much better.

I'm so happy for Stephen O'Donnell. He's had his critics, and after the Russia game(s) I just felt this was possibly a level too high for him, e.g he'd be alright against Estonia, Lithuania etc but struggle against very good sides, but really wanted it to work out for him and so happy his last four games he's been outstanding. I worry about him defensively at times, but he's a clever player and can spot a great pass. Can tell by his attitude in interviews, belting out FOS how much it means to him playing for Scotland. I'd keep him as our natural right-back.

Ryan Jack as well. A superb couple of performances from him. Really hitting his peak of late. Such a vital addition to the team. Only wee, and it's a tiny criticism, is he occasionally gives the ball away after winning it or breaking down an oppositions pass.

McGregor - he has been superb of late. He has his critics, but his intelligence, skill and pace are vital to the team.

Tierney was brilliant too. He's so composed on the ball, and a good defender. Such an asset to have someone who can play as part of a back 5 or a left/wing-back.

Gallagher - just fantastic. He had Mitrovic in his pocket the whole game. Amazing, just a shame he isn't 4-5 years younger, by no means ancient and seems very fit, and still only 28 so hopefully get 4-5 years more service out of him. All for redemption too and second chances.

Just fantastic, all of them! Still high as a kite on fresh air and last night.

I'm no fan of Ollie McBurnie either but kudos to the guy - he rolled that penalty in like he was on the training ground. Nads of steel considering most of us were probably hiding behind the couch.

I'm not really seeing what he brings to the side.  The ball bounces off him whereas it sticks to Dykes.  Maybe just needs a goal to get him buzzing?  It'd be great if he started banging them in to give us another option up front.

11 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I'm no fan of Ollie McBurnie either but kudos to the guy - he rolled that penalty in like he was on the training ground. Nads of steel considering most of us were probably hiding behind the couch.

I'm not really seeing what he brings to the side.  The ball bounces off him whereas it sticks to Dykes.  Maybe just needs a goal to get him buzzing?  It'd be great if he started banging them in to give us another option up front.

Last night he was poor - no getting away from that. But against Czechs and Slovakia we saw what he is there for - to be like Dykes and get the ball and hold it up and feed supporting attacking players. That is the type of striker Clarke likes in this system and Griffiths or Burke don't offer that - they have other strengths.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Last night he was poor - no getting away from that. But against Czechs and Slovakia we saw what he is there for - to be like Dykes and get the ball and hold it up and feed supporting attacking players. That is the type of striker Clarke likes in this system and Griffiths or Burke don't offer that - they have other strengths.

Griffiths is a one trick pony hence why he never starts a game anymore for club or country.  He is good to have up your sleeve and I was glad to see him coming on for the penalties last night.

2 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Griffiths is a one trick pony hence why he never starts a game anymore for club or country.  He is good to have up your sleeve and I was glad to see him coming on for the penalties last night.

That one trick is scoring goals Tbf. Not sure what you have against Griffiths but his finishing ability is excellent and we need a goalscorer like that in the squad. 

Could be worse, he could be one of those tools that say 'hence why' 😜

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

That one trick is scoring goals Tbf. Not sure what you have against Griffiths but his finishing ability is excellent and we need a goalscorer like that in the squad. 

I have nothing against him.  Maybe ask Lennon or Clarke why they don't play him.  I will assume he is on 20 to 30 grand a week and comes on for about 20 minutes to justify his shift.  Everyone has their own opinions though.  Maybe I will listen to the managers of him.

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I have nothing against him.  Maybe ask Lennon or Clarke why they don't play him.  I will assume he is on 20 to 30 grand a week and comes on for about 20 minutes to justify his shift.  Everyone has their own opinions though.  Maybe I will listen to the managers of him.

Lennon has started playing him, he didn't play him before because his mental health and fitness was bad. Now that he's over that then he should be in our squads as long as he is playing for celtic. He's scored a goal in most of those 20min shifts. I think he's scored something like a goal every 55mins this season. Lennon rates him and thats why he's still at celtic. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lennon has started playing him, he didn't play him before because his mental health and fitness was bad. Now that he's over that then he should be in our squads as long as he is playing for celtic. He's scored a goal in most of those 20min shifts. I think he's scored something like a goal every 55mins this season. Lennon rates him and thats why he's still at celtic. 

Listen, I like him but he doesn't have the all round game for today's game.  That is only my opinion.  I was glad to see him come on last night but like Clarke I would play him sparingly.  The balls to take the first penalty was great.  It is his all round game in his day and age.  You look at Morelos or Edouard.  I would say that Griffiths a more natural scorer but the way the game is about now dictates.  I get where you are coming from though.

not bad that his one trick is scoring goals?

6 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Listen, I like him but he doesn't have the all round game for today's game.  That is only my opinion.  I was glad to see him come on last night but like Clarke I would play him sparingly.  The balls to take the first penalty was great.  It is his all round game in his day and age.  You look at Morelos or Edouard.  I would say that Griffiths a more natural scorer but the way the game is about now dictates.  I get where you are coming from though.

His all round play is excellent. Not sure why you think it's not. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

His all round play is excellent. Not sure why you think it's not. 

Maybe you should be directing this question to Steve Clarke.  He has hardly kicked a ball for Celtic for two years.  Picking up wages for nothing basically.  But anyway, I don't pick the team.  Played and managed people like him.  Yes, he can score but is not a team player.  Only in my opinion.  That is what football is about.  Take it you don't trust in Clarkes opinion?

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If you were to drop the ball into a penalty box Griffiths is the man to finish it off with a goal. Best finisher in the team in the box. He has much documented issues of late and is on his way back. It was great to see him.in great spirits celebrating in various videos in the last 24 hours.

Totally. I laugh at folk writing him off. He’s going to be helluva focused for the rest of season 

4 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Maybe you should be directing this question to Steve Clarke.  He has hardly kicked a ball for Celtic for two years.  Picking up wages for nothing basically.  But anyway, I don't pick the team.  Played and managed people like him.  Yes, he can score but is not a team player.  Only in my opinion.  That is what football is about.  Take it you don't trust in Clarkes opinion?

I think you must be a bitter rangers fan, everybody knows he's been out with mental health and injuries. Clarkes not going to pick a guy for the squad who's not playing due to mental health problems. Clarke has picked Griffiths as soon it was reasonably possible so he must rate him. I trust Clarkes opinion and his opinion is that Griffiths was worthy of a squad place despite only playing a handful of games this season. I think you might be trolling so I will leave it with that. 

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Totally. I laugh at folk writing him off. He’s going to be helluva focused for the rest of season 

Nobody is writing him off.  I want him to be the best for Scotland.  All I am saying is he has done nothing for a couple years and if Steve Clarke trusted him last night he would have played from the start.  But he didn't.  And I trust in that decision.  The way the modern game goes you need more than just what Griffiths gives.  I don't agree with it as I am a believer in 4 4 2.  Hately and McCoist for example.  Griffiths would be great in that role and would play that.