Serbia v Scotland - Match thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Serbia v Scotland - Match thread

vanderark14

Got a text from my wife earlier (been working nights) saying are you awake yet? Me of course I've been up for hours I'm like a 7 year old waiting for Christmas. Been watching old videos and listening to the TA sounds with a tear in my eye. It's only a football match isn't it. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

That day at hampden was amazing, so mucb belief after it but it turned out we only angered the dutch and they spanked us. 😂

That dutch side has some real stars in it

I was front row right at the halfway line. Can mind it being so sunny and then the goal was a great from Mcfadden, think Fletcher set him up from a corner.

I missed my flight home from Amsterdam cause me and my mate got split up and i made it to the airport and he didn't and  he wasn't answering his phone and had defintiely not checked in, so waited at airport to see if he turned up and then got the bus to the IBIS we were staying at and he was lying conked out in the room! Queue us having to sit at the airport getting rougher and rougher as we tried to get a flight home. Eventually got one of the last ones to LHR and then mad dash to get last one up to Edinburgh, i ended up sitting next to Robin Cook (i think it was him).

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

After the first leg we were in Shawlands about 1am and we came across 2 Dutch supporters pished and had no idea where they were. I went up to them and said ‘are you lost’ ? 
 One of them replied ‘ah yes, but it is only half time, we still have the other half to play’ . 
😂

It was unfortunately true. The away leg was on the same night as my daughters parents night at school. We were 1-0 down when I left and by the time I got back about it was about 0-4 . The final result was almost as bad as the school report. Hopefully a one leg tie suits us tonight. 

Aye the goals all going in so quick really took the wind out the sails.  :(

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I've been convincing myself since the semi we've nae chance but from the beginning of the week a wee voice in my head has been building up hope until today where I'm pretty much bouncing off the walls waiting for tonight!   

“It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand"

Was also over at the 2003 play-off in Amsterdam but it had a different feeling for us boys from Wick. One of our mates was killed on the way to the home game at Hampden, some nutcase drove at him deliberately.

We went to Amsterdam for the 2nd leg in a bit of shock and obviously the result didn't really matter in teh grand scheme of things.

Anyway Liam, I'll be raising a glass to you tonight if we finally fuckin make it. 

9 minutes ago, Snelders said:

Was also over at the 2003 play-off in Amsterdam but it had a different feeling for us boys from Wick. One of our mates was killed on the way to the home game at Hampden, some nutcase drove at him deliberately.

We went to Amsterdam for the 2nd leg in a bit of shock and obviously the result didn't really matter in teh grand scheme of things.

Anyway Liam, I'll be raising a glass to you tonight if we finally fuckin make it. 

Fuck suck mate that is shocking, was it in the Toryglen / Rutherglen area of the city ??

9 minutes ago, Snelders said:

Holy shit mate! That's shocking. I think I remember vaguely hearing about that at the time as well.

Certainly puts things in perspective.

3 hours ago, bossman4 said:

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell myself even if we dont manage it tonight. After the Slovenia game 3 years ago I was so f**king angry that we bottled it again but looking back there didn’t seem much hope for the future after that game. We now have that regardless of the result tonight with such a young squad.

Anyway, Im trying not to predicit anything for tonight. Take it as it comes but I know I’ll be a nightmare in the house. Ive already told the mrs it might be an idea to pack off to her mums. 😂😂

Come on Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Yeah, there certainly is a different atmosphere around the camp nowadays. I can remember at various points in the past decade where I've thought things like "What are we going to do when Kenny Miller retires?" or "When Scott Brown is too old we'll be lost" etc etc. We can usually only scrape together a passable first 11. But times have changed. Our squad is younger and almost every position has a more than capable back up (1 or 2 positions excepted). 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If you have Sky it’s on Sky One. Pick is also on Sky and Freeview. 

He knows exactly where to get it. It has been mentioned on just about every thread , and he is on every thread, at least in some persona .  He is trying to get a wee bit of camaraderie going with Stuart 🙄 

25 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

He knows exactly where to get it. It has been mentioned on just about every thread , and he is on every thread, at least in some persona .  He is trying to get a wee bit of camaraderie going with Stuart 🙄 

If this is true he must be a strange chap. 

Have been pretty busy at work today so have not had the usual big game PMT.

Fully butterflies now. Was not going to have a drink tonight (don’t drink on school nights), but now don’t think I can make it through without one. Brought a 4 pack in from the garage fridge. 

Not wanting to play Serbia down but this isn’t an England, Holland or Italy (2007 was like a playoff game). They are in the same pot as us. A Draw will get us to ET. 30 minutes later we are into penalties. 
Also, no fans had to suit us as the away team. 

J

I haven't been nervous about this, but starting to kick in now. I think it being away (albeit nae fans) and against a very decent Serbia team has me trying to tell my brain, we'll end up after an OK performance crashing out or so.

I was listening to a Serb journalist saying that Serbia don't really like playing against teams who attack at them and prefer to sit and take the game to teams. With the way we have set up in previous games, I'm a bit worried, they'll be on our arses from the get go and we'll create absolutely nothing up front especially with Fraser out.

Still, that's the pessimism. Been here too many times before to let myself get carried away, in my late 30s now and trying not to become the dour Jock ; so come on Scotland, do this! Let's change the script, just ONCE! Time to get to a tournament.

Positives for us - we have been proving ourselves hard to beat. We were incredibly fortunate against Czech Republic, but we did our job. We are becoming tighter and better defensively. Serbia are a bit hit and miss. No doubt there's a lot of talent there, but it isn't Germany, Spain, or Italy we are playing.

23 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I haven't been nervous about this, but starting to kick in now. I think it being away (albeit nae fans) and against a very decent Serbia team has me trying to tell my brain, we'll end up after an OK performance crashing out or so.

I was listening to a Serb journalist saying that Serbia don't really like playing against teams who attack at them and prefer to sit and take the game to teams. With the way we have set up in previous games, I'm a bit worried, they'll be on our arses from the get go and we'll create absolutely nothing up front especially with Fraser out.

Still, that's the pessimism. Been here too many times before to let myself get carried away, in my late 30s now and trying not to become the dour Jock ; so come on Scotland, do this! Let's change the script, just ONCE! Time to get to a tournament.

Positives for us - we have been proving ourselves hard to beat. We were incredibly fortunate against Czech Republic, but we did our job. We are becoming tighter and better defensively. Serbia are a bit hit and miss. No doubt there's a lot of talent there, but it isn't Germany, Spain, or Italy we are playing.

It's weird how we describe the outcome of a game when we win. Against the Czech republic we declared ourselves fortunate but why? because their striker missed a sitter? We lose a game when our striker misses a sitter we never declare the opposition fortunate we just declare ourselves as shite! But hey, maybe that's the Scottish self depracating way 😁

7 minutes ago, todd said:

It's weird how we describe the outcome of a game when we win. Against the Czech republic we declared ourselves fortunate but why? because their striker missed a sitter? We lose a game when our striker misses a sitter we never declare the opposition fortunate we just declare ourselves as shite! But hey, maybe that's the Scottish self depracating way 😁

Not always. Sometimes we call the opposition and/or the ref "fukin cheats"