Joe Baker - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sorry for bringing this up but was an amazing looking man seemingly like sean connery.  Played with Armadale, went to Hibs and then Arsenal.  Then on to Torino with Denis Law.  They got involved in a car crash there an Law nearly lost his eye.  He was in the squad for England 1966.  His rival for the no. 9 jersey was Jimmy Greaves.  When he got in a taxi to take him to the England training ground the taxi driver took him to a police station as Joe had a broad Scottish accent and the taxi driver must have thought he was a Scottish terrorist!  He used to come back to Armadale in later years with his Jaguar and go to the game.  Anyway, buy the book, The Fabulous Baker Brothers.  It's a good read.

Remember him back at Hibs in 1971, when he broke Bobby Clark's then world record shut out sequence with a belter of a hit in a 2-1 victory at Easter Road.

Just checked - 23402 spectators!!!

Edit for lapsed memory - Pat Stanton scored the goal that broke the record, Joe Baker scored the second on the day.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Not read the book for a few years but sure Joe played against his brother Gerry Hibs against St Mirren. And thanks Barney.  Armadale Thistle like many other junior clubs were Hibs team that if players weren't getting a game then they were farmed out.  The old guys on the committee when I played used to be able to rhyme off a full team of players that went on to make it.  The only three i can remember is Colin Stein, Baker and Johnny Fox.  I think Fox was a Goalie, not sure but will check.

Just doing some research.  Armadale played Rangers in  1931 in the Scottish Cup.  I was injured that day!

When, in 1931, Rangers came out of the hat, there was much rejoicing. Armadale even signed two ‘robust’ old pros for the game. The boys’ gate was opened 11 am to enable them to watch the Glasgow side – including Bob McPhail and Alan Morton – win 7-1. One of the Robust Two, former international Hamilton, was sent off after fifteen minutes. The last truly big senior game Armadale saw the ‘Dale represented by Watson; Findlay, Hamilton; Joe Polland, Fyfe, Hailstones; Fleming, Stout, Brannan, Livingstone, John Polland.

6 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Sorry for bringing this up but was an amazing looking man seemingly like sean connery.  Played with Armadale, went to Hibs and then Arsenal.  Then on to Torino with Denis Law.  They got involved in a car crash there an Law nearly lost his eye.  He was in the squad for England 1966.  His rival for the no. 9 jersey was Jimmy Greaves.  When he got in a taxi to take him to the England training ground the taxi driver took him to a police station as Joe had a broad Scottish accent and the taxi driver must have thought he was a Scottish terrorist!  He used to come back to Armadale in later years with his Jaguar and go to the game.  Anyway, buy the book, The Fabulous Baker Brothers.  It's a good read.

No he wasn't

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Not read the book for a few years but sure Joe played against his brother Gerry Hibs against St Mirren. And thanks Barney.  Armadale Thistle like many other junior clubs were Hibs team that if players weren't getting a game then they were farmed out.  The old guys on the committee when I played used to be able to rhyme off a full team of players that went on to make it.  The only three i can remember is Colin Stein, Baker and Johnny Fox.  I think Fox was a Goalie, not sure but will check.

You never played

23 minutes ago, Kirk said:

No he wasn't

You never played

Doubt you can read.  He played for England alright.  Didn't make the cut for 1966 as I have already said.  I thought he had but haven't read the book for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_F.C.

as for your second point I cant even be ersed.  Safe to say I signed for them twice in my life.  Once when I was 19 and second when I was about 32 and passed it.  Then signed for Reeky Sporrans side Blackburn.

Why do you always try to pick an argument btw?  Everyone else on this post making good contributions to The Baker Boys.  Instead, you come on and want to pick an argument.  Beats me why u haven't put me on block.  Take it you voted with Mr Thistle to ban me and a wee bit raw.

4 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Doubt you can read.  He played for England alright.  Didn't make the cut for 1966 as I have already said.  I thought he had but haven't read the book for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_F.C.

as for your second point I cant even be ersed.  Safe to say I signed for them twice in my life.  Once when I was 19 and second when I was about 32 and passed it.  Then signed for Reeky Sporrans side Blackburn.

Why do you always try to pick an argument btw?  Everyone else on this post making good contributions to The Baker Boys.  Instead, you come on and want to pick an argument.  Beats me why u haven't put me on block.  Take it you voted with Mr Thistle to ban me and a wee bit raw.

Apologies, on the phone and hadn't seen you correcting it, my bad there.

Because you post some amount of shite so I just try to keep the truth out there. I don't block folk.

Nope have never voted to ban anyone. We all have a place, just dont lie constantly

Edited by Kirk

3 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Apologies, on the phone and hadn't seen you correcting it, my bad there.

Because you post some amount of shite so I just try to keep the truth out there. I don't block folk.

Nope have never voted to ban anyone. We all have a place, just dont lie constantly

I slaver pish.  But I don't lie.  Apology accepted.  Let's all get on.  We are Scotland supporters Kirk.  And club supporters so will all have our differences.  That is what should make the board great.

1 hour ago, The Laud said:

joe baker scored an absolute barrowload of goals for Raith Rovers in the early seventies in the twilight of his career.

If you had a juvenile season ticket for the Rovers back then you got a chance to go on the team bus for an away game. I got picked to go to Berwick and because Joe was injured he sat in the stand beside me and another 2 kids who were also on the bus.

At half time he took us to the kiosk and bought us all a can of coke and a mars bar. 

1 hour ago, Wullie Anderson said:

If you had a juvenile season ticket for the Rovers back then you got a chance to go on the team bus for an away game. I got picked to go to Berwick and because Joe was injured he sat in the stand beside me and another 2 kids who were also on the bus.

At half time he took us to the kiosk and bought us all a can of coke and a mars bar. 

Small world Wullie!  I was compared to Joe Baker when I played with Dale.  Compared to him I was pish.  Hope you ok pal.

One of the funniest stories ever for the Reluctant Englishman.  He was Scottish through and through.

Joe made his first appearance in an England shirt in September 1958 playing for the England Under 23 side. He scored his first international goal for England on the 11th November 1959 against France at Roker Park. Seven days later, he was sensationally called up to replace a certain Brian Clough as centre forward for the full England team at Wembley. England beat Northern Ireland 2-1 and Baker impressed by scoring on his debut.

However he was almost prevented from joining up with the England squad. Baker flew down to London the day before to meet up with his team mates. He jumped into a taxi and in his broad Scottish brogue asked to be taken to Hendon Hall. As the driver queried the destination, knowing that was where the England party were staying, Baker confirmed “Aye, that’s right, ah’m playing fer England at Wembley”. Assuming he had picked up some drunken mad Scotsman intent on doing some harm to the England team, he radioed the police for immediate assistance. A squad car was immediately dispatched to deal with the call. On approaching, the senior officer asked Baker to step out of the taxi. “So you’re playing for England are you, sonny?” “Aye that’s right” Baker replied in his thick Scottish dialect “Ah’m playing fer England on Wednesday night”.

The sergeant listened in total disbelief but decided to play along in case the situation got out of hand. He asked Baker for some form of identification. The player produced the evening newspaper and pointed to the back page with his photograph. “That’s me” he said proudly.

The accompanying constable could not believe what he had just heard.“ A Jock playing for England. Surely we ain’t that bad are we?”

Baker went on to win a further four caps for England at this stage but did not add to his tally of goals and after playing against Hungary in May 1960, it would be a further five years before he was recalled to the side. During this same period he also made five appearances for the Under 23 side, scoring four goals.