Historical Week - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Historical Week

romanticscot

14 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

So with only a few days to go until our play-off Final, what is everyone's plans, general mindset and what are you doing to pass the week and get in the party mood?  

Good topic. I am working all week, except Thursday, going for a haircut in the morning to pass the time. Interestingly, I am going to watch the match, at the same venue I went to watch the Scotland v Italy match. Bit of a difference this time round. I played my Bagpipes the whole 90 minutes when we played Italy, at the request of my mates. This time, I am leaving the Bagpipes at home. Superstition setting in. I am watching the match with all ma Scottish pals. Celtic, rangers, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hibernian, and a Hearts supporter. We are all one on Thursday.. I am just hoping for the best for my country, the country I love so much.. We deserve to qualify, we have had our ups and downs and it's been a long time since we have qualified for a major tournament..  No matter what happens, I am proud of our boys, and I am proud to be Scottish, the greatest country on Gods green earth.. Go and do it lads, just believe in each other, trust each other, and whatever happens happens.. Alba Gu Brath....🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Working all week the  finish early on thursday. I dont care how and i dont care who plays, just win.

I wad 16 last time we made it to a finals, during those 16 years qe had been 4 world cups and 2 euros. We were spolied, the failure was getting out of the first round but now 22 years later.....almost 23 years and we havent seen a major tournament so just fuckin win

It feela weird not being able to head to the boozer with friends to watch it but i wont care much if we win.

Mon Scotland

Saying goodbye to my auld man at his funeral on the Thursday morning, so finding it difficult to really look forward to the game until that’s all over with.
It’s going to be a weird as fuck day - the day I never wanted to come is also the day I’ve been waiting more that two decades for. 
He was always saying “Mair money than sense!” every time I told him I was booked up for games away to Macedonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan etc. 

If there’s such a thing as divine intervention, I’ll ask him to give us a wee nod 😉 (I don’t think we’ll need it though) ✊🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Edited by McTeeko

17 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Saying goodbye to my auld man at his funeral on the Thursday morning, so finding it difficult to really look forward to the game until that’s all over with.
It’s going to be a weird as fuck day - the day I never wanted to come is also the day I’ve been waiting more that two decades for. 
He was always saying “Mair money than sense!” every time I told him I was booked up for games away to Macedonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan etc. 

If there’s such a thing as divine intervention, I’ll ask him to give us a wee nod 😉 (I don’t think we’ll need it though) ✊🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Tough day for you, hope it goes well during the day & the result cheers you up 👍

35 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Tough day for you, hope it goes well during the day & the result cheers you up 👍

Thanks, but you know what, if all goes to plan we’ll be celebrating my dad’s life then watching Scotland qualify!

A memorable day ahead 🙂

I was 19 when we went to France and I had just started a job, so decided "I'll go to the next one" rather than pack in new job to go to France for 3 weeks. Then the years just stretched out in front of me and never got the opportunity.

I think i'm too scarred to ever be confident but you never know.

Sorry for your loss McTeeko! Let's hope you are giving cause to spend mair money on another trip!

Sorry for your loss McTeeko, hope all goes well.

I missed out on France 98 when I was 20 as had just started a new job and couldn't afford it or get the time off. I said ach well I'll go to the next one. Well we all know the story. 

Still seems bizarre that none of us are heading off on flights today and tomorrow to make our way to Belgrade but we are where we are I suppose. Has it changed my outlook on the came? not a chance, I'm as hyper and as nervous as I normally would be if we were going to it. 

Not living in Scotland, I'm a nightmare watching games on the telly at the best of times, especially qualifiers. I've warned the wife and weans that this isn't going to be pleasant so stay away if they wish 😅

Finish as early as I can, bite to eat then the me and lads I travel with are all doing a zoom call and watching the game at the same time. Hopefully we'll be celebrating into the wee small hours. 

Edited by bossman4

Condolences Mcteeko.

In better times would have been heading to Serbia today/tomorrow but stuck in work. I'll finish a wee bit early on Thursday,  get home and get ready for what I hope will be a fantastic night for us. Let's do this 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Very sorry mate. Thoughts with you and your family....

Sorry for your loss McTeeko.  A reminder that it is only football.

I was 14 when we were kicking off the World Cup in France in 1998.  I had only started going to the matches a few years earlier when my uncle would take me up for matches.

I have no doubt that Serbia are a good team and it will require our players to be on top form for us to get a result.  We have to remember there is a reason they are in a League C play-off final with us - because they are a very similar standard side to us.  

Looking further ahead, we have two big Nations League matches which could also impact our chances at future competitions.  Whilst Serbia is no doubt the big match, these two are pretty big for us too.

I'm working until 3pm on Thursday and will then have a few drinks before the match starts.  Personally, I can't see us remaining unbeaten over 3 away matches to similar strength opposition.  I just hope we don't lose the first of the three.  

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Sorry to hear that mate, a total mix of emotions on the day I'd imagine.

Hopefully you can have a nice send off then watch us pump serbia.

Hopefully your dad gives us a wee helping hand as we need all the help we can get.

21 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Cheers lads, all messages appreciated! 

Let’s no turn this into a sad thread though - positive vibes only! ✊🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Im patching work on Friday already, is that positive enough?

Guest ElChris04

Am I confident? Being a Scotland supporter the thing I’ve learned the most is to go into games with no expectations, in my lifetime of 20 years, I’ve yet to see my country at a major tournament so as much as I want to, I think I would be very naive of me to see aye. 

It’s going to be a tough game against Serbia, but it’s one I just hope and pray we do go out there and leave nothing on the pitch, I don’t care how we win weather it’s playing defensive hoofball or a fluent game. Just Win. 

as cliche as that sounds, that’s where I’m at. Let’s just hope and pray we can do it. 

also I’m sorry to hear about you’re loss @McTeeko very sad to hear, wish you all the best on the day ahead.

McTeeko - Sorry to hear about your Dad.

I lost my Dad last month and it was strange time with the restrictions on the lack of mourners at the funeral but in many ways it made it much more intimate as it was just close family so we were able to share stories between us.

Hope everything goes well and that Scotland can do your Dad proud on Thursday night.

4 hours ago, McTeeko said:

An awful day for you then. My heart goes out to you. Lets hope the lads give you something to cheer you up by the end of Thursday. 👍

4 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Sorry for your loss fella and can only imagine how mind bending a day that’s going to be.     

When I read your post got to admit had images of god answering your old man’s request for a cheeky last minute Griffiths free kick so you can go Russia with ‘Have you nae seen his away record watching Scotland?  Mare money than sense!’  ;)

I’ve got a slightly different take on the “go to the next one” thing.

In 98, I had been seeing my now wife for about a year and had to come up with a strategy for convincing her that me going to France for 2 weeks with my mates was a good idea. She knows absolutely nothing about football, so I opted for the old “once in a lifetime opportunity” which did the trick. Secretly in the back of my mind I’m sniggering to myself “little does she know we qualify all the time”. So in a way I kind of hold myself personally responsible for our failure to qualify for anything since!!

We didn’t get to the Brazil game but we attended the other two. The matches weren’t particularly memorable but the nights in Bordeaux and St. Etienne will live long in the memory.

As for this week, working all week then heading straight out from work on Thursday to meet Jersey Jim for the game, desperately trying to ward off my inherent, well developed, 54 year old feelings of..I’ve read this book before. 

C’mon Scotland!!!

McTeeko, praying for you this week, saying goodbye isn't easy but there's few relationships.like a Father and Son.

I have decided to not expect anything, three years ago when we drew with Slovenia at Half Time was the worst experience in a long time. I was curious mad at full time, it surprised me how angry and upset I was. This time with 90 minutes unless we have ET and Pens, could be fantastic. If these games were in March, in front of fans three days after the Israel game, I dare say our chances would be far less. I've watched the Brave heart Lynch video - thanks mate, listened to the Hampden roar podcast and playinglots of Runrig I live in Texas and so does my.pal Bruce, so we have both taken the day off work and I'm driving up to his tomorrow night to watch. I found some Irn-Bru that's likely flat and we are making sausage rolls for half time. I've told the wife, that if we qualify we are going to do our best to come back home next summer as I would love to watch the games in Hampden if I can, or with my Uncle and Cousin's. 

2-0 down after 10 minutes and we go on to win AET!

I have a Keg of Lowenbrau Oktoberfest and a 16 year old bottle if Ardbeg ready for the night.  Party if we do it and straight on to Skyscanner to look up flights from Glasgow to ... Glasgow.

6 months old for France 98.. great times.. cried ma eyes out vs Italy in 2007, maybe having experienced less disappointment than most I’m more optimistic, start work at 2am Friday morning, will either be the easiest or longest shift in my life.

2-1 AET 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, Marky said:

I’ve got a slightly different take on the “go to the next one” thing.

In 98, I had been seeing my now wife for about a year and had to come up with a strategy for convincing her that me going to France for 2 weeks with my mates was a good idea. She knows absolutely nothing about football, so I opted for the old “once in a lifetime opportunity” which did the trick. Secretly in the back of my mind I’m sniggering to myself “little does she know we qualify all the time”. So in a way I kind of hold myself personally responsible for our failure to qualify for anything since!!

We didn’t get to the Brazil game but we attended the other two. The matches weren’t particularly memorable but the nights in Bordeaux and St. Etienne will live long in the memory.

As for this week, working all week then heading straight out from work on Thursday to meet Jersey Jim for the game, desperately trying to ward off my inherent, well developed, 54 year old feelings of..I’ve read this book before. 

C’mon Scotland!!!

That's funny 🤣

A good friend of mine goes to matches with his dad and brother.  They got 2 tickets for the each of the matches in France.  My pal, being the good guy that he is volunteered to miss out, with the modest words of: "I'll go next time".