Darling Has Lost The Plot - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Darling Has Lost The Plot

BETTER Together leader Alistair Darling is due to talk to police about security arrangements for Scotland’s independence referendum.

Mr Darling will seek assurances from Police Scotland in relation to campaigning events over the coming 18 days, with specific focus on the arrangements in place for polling day.

No campaigners have expressed concerns over the potential for trouble as voters cast their ballots on September 18.

It follows a turbulent week on the campaign trail which saw Labour MP Jim Murphy suspend his tour amid claims of organised intimidation by Yes supporters.

Mr Murphy was pelted with eggs and said he has been threatened with violence during his 100 Towns in 100 Days tour for the union.

He said disruption at his events was “organised and orchestrated by Yes Scotland, who are organising for mobs to turn up at each meeting to try and intimidate me, which won’t work, and to try and silence undecided voters”.

Mr Murphy will resume his tour in Edinburgh on Tuesday.

Alex Salmond condemned any intimidation from any side.

The First Minister said: “Somebody was convicted, of course, of online threats against me. Somebody thought his car should be a political weapon. There was a woman, a Yes campaigner, assaulted on the streets of Glasgow.

“I don’t hold press conferences accusing Mr Murphy of orchestrating these events, because I know that would be ridiculous to do so.”

Mary Pitcaithly, the Chief Counting Officer overseeing the referendum, has discussed security with Police Scotland, given the prospect of a high turnout for the vote.

Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins said: “The referendum is a significant event which is expected to attract a higher than normal turnout.

“Policing arrangements for the referendum are well in hand and will be appropriate and proportionate.”

There's no direct quote from Darling in this "story" - rehash of Murphy's greeting with the egg factor being increased significantly from the single one placed and cracked on his back.

meeja spinning a few non-events and scuffles in to being akin to the Ukraine or something.

ing farcical and the only important thing is not to overreact to this pish.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Does he think I will storm the school that I go to vote in? Hassle people outside to vote YES? Throw eggs at the NO voters? Scream 'FREEDOM' into the faces of the 'NO's'?

It is a ballot that is done in private you muppet. We have managed to not intimidate the Tory voters for over 40 years who are a smaller minority than the NO voters are likely to be, pretty sure we can do this without incident. I have no more idea what a Tory looks like than a No voter.

Truly the dying acts of a desperate, pathetic, negative campaign.

Instead of spending the last 16 days trying to make a positive case for the Union, they've chosen to attack anyone who supports independence and brand them as extremists...I presume in combination with their friends in the media and in a desperate attempt to silence the voice of the Yes campaign.

Awful, awful, awful. People simply won't fall for this.

I didn't realise that that No campaign was in such trouble.

Aye. Absolutely brutal. It was clear from the very earliest days that Better Together were not fit for purpose. Some of their staff members were very clearly out of their depth. The fact they seem to have survived entirely intact with no resignations or sackings speaks volumes for the utter failure of the press to scrutinize them at all, never mind with the same determination as they have Yes Scotland.

F*ck Better Together and f*ck our media. I've become so entrenched and angry at the utter bull*hit in recent days that there will be no gracious win on my part. A national disgrace and I hope most involved are not invited or involved in building the new Scotland.

BT have a deliberate agenda to make the referendum look like it has ended in devisive trouble caused by uneducated YES voters & cybernats.

They cant accept that it is democracy in action.

Dont ever let them demonise us like this.

Compared to the miners strikes, poll tax riots or recent riots in London / Birmingham the referendum has been a tea party.
Given the scale of the political decision we have to make it have very civil / reasonable (from both sides)

The worst of it seems to be Jim Murphy getting egged or Alex Salmond getting abuse online.....
The debate about Scotlands future is better than that!

Wow - Alisdair Darling just got his arse properly felt for stirring shit...

http://www.spf.org.uk/category/whats-new/

To: News Editor
Date: 1 September 2014
Subject: Independence Referendum

In response to the suggestion of absolute carnage in and around polling stations on the 18th Sept Brian Docherty, Chairman of the Scottish Police Federation said;

“The independence debate has been robust but overwhelmingly good natured and it would prove a disservice to those who have participated in it thus far to suggest that with 17 days to go, Scotland is about to disintegrate into absolute carnage on the back of making the most important decision in the country’s history

Politicians and supporters of whichever point of view need to be mindful of the potential impact of intemperate, inflammatory and exaggerated language, lest they be seen to seek to create a self fulfilling prophecy”