Poland V Scotland - Starting Xi - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poland V Scotland - Starting Xi

John_B81

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can handle centre-half discussions but when they start getting ludicrous like suggesting players out of position rather than using a more than capable centre-back (or two if you count Berra) then it starts getting ridiculous and does a dis-service to those two players.

Out of the 3 centre-halves available to replace Hanley, Greer is the last one I'd pick (and i don't even rate the other two that highly).

Discuss away but would prefer people offer up examples as to why Greer doesn't merit a game given his proven record thus far for Scotland.

I don't know much about Greer nor do I know what kind of player he is. I know Whittaker is decent on the ball and pretty pacey. Two things I like to see in a centre half - not necessarily tonight though, it was only a discussion. So, in conclusion, you will note that rather than slate Greer, I've opined on what I "know" rather than on what I don't know.

Greer on his erse for the Nigerian second goal and then getting to his feet as quickly as an upturned turtle, says it all I'm afraid.

he challenged for the ball, won it and cleared it to hanley's feet.

when will people stop blaming greer for hanley handing the ball to their strikers 6 yard out? it's utterly ridiculous.

I like so see good positioning, strength and the ability to tackle and head a ball.. whittakers quite shite at all of those.

I think he's actually ok at tackling and in the air. Seems strong enough too. Positioning would be a concern. Couldn't tell you about Greer though.

he challenged for the ball, won it and cleared it to hanley's feet.

when will people stop blaming greer for hanley handing the ball to their strikers 6 yard out? it's utterly ridiculous.

Greer fell into the ball on his way down and it went to Hanley. Hanley lost it in the box and Greer was still on his arse. Spin that whatever you want but I'm afraid Greer's inability to continue to focus on play was beyond amateurish. That's why he got the blame. Have another watch of it I suggest.

As someone pointed out on here the Robertson/Anya partnership wasn't too fluid as they both seemed to cancel each other out. Also late on Robertson did fade a little and looked knackered so perhaps Gordon just wants a fresher left-back and one with more experience for such a key match. Robertson will be around for years to come so wouldn't worry too much.

As someone pointed out on here the Robertson/Anya partnership wasn't too fluid as they both seemed to cancel each other out. Also late on Robertson did fade a little and looked knackered so perhaps Gordon just wants a fresher left-back and one with more experience for such a key match. Robertson will be around for years to come so wouldn't worry too much.

Aye, but right now he's by far the best left back we have.