Under 21s (November 2020) - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21s (November 2020)

PASTA Mick

1 minute ago, Burj_Alba said:

That's it. Czechs win the group. Can see the same outcome tomorrow as well.

The end of the line for age level international football for most of these players. Probably all international football for some of them.

I expect the same tomorrow too. 

Hopefully this is the end of Gemmell. His brand of hoof ball needs to go. We shouldn't be playing that style of football at youth level. We have quite a few talented youngsters in our next generation who like to play football and I want them as far away from a dinosaur like Gemmell as possible.

Regardless of how poor the pitch was, we'd have played that way on the best pitch.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

It's incredibly frustrating to produce decent results against the top two and then pish it all away against 4th and 5th.

Time for a change as well regarding management. We have been pretty dire to watch, albeit apart from a couple of decent performances.

There are players or some players there though and it'll be interesting to see if they can make the move up a level to the national side : Campbell, Ferguson, Harvie, Gilmour, etc.

Turnbull is a bit out of sorts since his move to Celtic, maybe trying too hard when he came on? Porteous is good, but you always feel he has a lose the heid or Steven Pressley moment in him, he's still very young and I rate him, but I don't think he's ready for the step up yet.

I know a lot rate him, but I'm not sure about Hornby. Wait and see, but I hope it works out for him, but maybe I'm missing something, but the 7/8 games I've seen of us in this campaign I have not been super impressed with him. He's doing a hard job especially with hoofball and Gemmill's tactics - was he playing Campbell as a supporting striker/attacking midfielder?

They're all young lads, and I'm disappointed for them in not getting there. Would have been a great 2021 and experience for them considering the big side last week. Hope they can push on. Doohan looks fairly steady as well, so figures crossed he keeps getting better - as we are needing a young decent keeper to push on in the next few years.

7 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

It's incredibly frustrating to produce decent results against the top two and then pish it all away against 4th and 5th.

Time for a change as well regarding management. We have been pretty dire to watch, albeit apart from a couple of decent performances.

There are players or some players there though and it'll be interesting to see if they can make the move up a level to the national side : Campbell, Ferguson, Harvie, Gilmour, etc.

Turnbull is a bit out of sorts since his move to Celtic, maybe trying too hard when he came on? Porteous is good, but you always feel he has a lose the heid or Steven Pressley moment in him, he's still very young and I rate him, but I don't think he's ready for the step up yet.

I know a lot rate him, but I'm not sure about Hornby. Wait and see, but I hope it works out for him, but maybe I'm missing something, but the 7/8 games I've seen of us in this campaign I have not been super impressed with him. He's doing a hard job especially with hoofball and Gemmill's tactics - was he playing Campbell as a supporting striker/attacking midfielder?

They're all young lads, and I'm disappointed for them in not getting there. Would have been a great 2021 and experience for them considering the big side last week. Hope they can push on. Doohan looks fairly steady as well, so figures crossed he keeps getting better - as we are needing a young decent keeper to push on in the next few years.

We definitely need a change. A shout for the job could be Graeme Murty. At youth level he is actually a good manager, he had the Rangers colts playing a good brand of football on their tunnochs cup run last year. He rightly gets maligned for some of the main Rangers results but he wasn't afraid to give a young player a chance and did get upturns in form from.the previous disgraces of managers.

One of my main problems with Gemmell is he has no vision for the future and doesn't really go for the best potential and tends to stick with guys from the start of qualifying for far too long. Even if other players broke through, he takes far too long to call them up. It's mental that this month was the first call up for Hickey.

Then players out of position. Patterson has played every one of his games at RW, while McCrorie plays at RB. Against Croatia we had 3 full backs playing and only 1 played as an actual fullback. What good is that for these players development? Against Greece we should have played McCrorie in cm instead of Maguire and Patterson at RB. 

Don't even get me started on his brand of football, it is truly horrific. Thank god he never got the top job.

Basically we need a more forward thinking manager who isn't afraid to take some risks and go for potential. Get in the young players, who it's clear have the potential to go far. it won't always work and we'll lose games and make mistakes but long term it could benefit us massively. For example King and Morrison won't be near the u21s until they are 19/20 under Gemmell but to everyone and their nan, it's clear as day these lads are our most promising CBs and have the highest ceiling. Getting those lads in early and playing at a higher level is better than playing lads who are 3/4 years older but aren't as well thought of.

So disappointed with that last night. They could not have had  abetter chance to qualify.

anyway, upwards and onwards.

Could be a good goalie competition starting between McCrorie and Doohan. Doohan had two fantastic saves last night and looks assured. So does McCrorie for Livi. Interesting that Clarke called up McCrorie in October rather than Doohan.

Think I am right in saying that only really Paterson, Gilmour and the man City kid (sub last night) are eligible for next round of under 21s so the others have to make the step up with their clubs or their international careers are over.

Gilmour will surely bypass the under 21s and go straight to the A team.

Of the others I can really only see Ferguson, McCrorie ( outfield one) and maybe Johnston, if he can kick on with Feyenoord, making it to the A squad. Remember it is quite a young squad in the A team so they will be the main core for the next four to six years ( except the goalies) 

Still disappointed with not qualifying though.

Get Gemmill and Houston to feck. They both represent a horrible "tradition" of industrial football which we are trying to eliminate today.

It's abundantly clear from the omission of players in the squad and the strange positions that some players are being played in that Gemmill and Houston cannot be bothered to do their homework.

Sack them and invite candidates from far and wide. The next manager doesn't necessarily have to be a Scot.

And get rid of Stark from the U19's too. How on earth that idiot is still employed by the SFA after the terrible mess he made of the U21 is just incredible.

There are far too many good ole' boys being employed by the SFA. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Just watched it.

Truly horrible performance. The majority of time in the first half, when one of our players had the ball on the halfway line, we have two upfront and two high on either win and only one in the middle of midfield.

In other words, the "tactics" were to blooter ball forward and hope for the best.

What can the players do with that system?

I have no complaints about the result. Greece created four really good chances. They deserves the three points.

Time for Gemmil to step aside and for the SFA to appoint a progressive manager, one who emphasizes passing and possession. Same goes for Billy Stark. Regardless of nationality.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Think I am right in saying that only really Paterson, Gilmour and the man City kid (sub last night) are eligible for next round of under 21s so the others have to make the step up with their clubs or their international careers are over.

I hope you're right.

Generally, our u19s and u17s have a far greater potential than the players who are currently in the u21s.