James Tavernier - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Tavernier

SWMM82

17 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

The powers-that-be within Celtic and Rangers don't want us to get independence, as it'll scupper their chances of joining the EPL.

If one of their captains came out and endorced independence, it would against their agenda.

Just done a search and it would seem that Oliver Holt agrees: Scottish Independence would kill Celtic dream of Premier League action stone dead

Thanks to the mysterious "laughing emoji guy" for the rep. ;)

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

On Tav's Twitch stream he just confirmed Clarke asked him if he would be interested in representing Scotland. Tav was keen, but the English FA put a stop to it.

On what grounds BB? Thought they would have sufficient rights back for the duration of Tavernier's career. FWIW I don't think he should be selected. 

Are they trying stop a precedent for us or Wales? 

14 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

On what grounds BB? Thought they would have sufficient rights back for the duration of Tavernier's career. FWIW I don't think he should be selected. 

Are they trying stop a precedent for us or Wales? 

He didn't say. I'd assume it would be to keep the rules as is. Wales would end up with a load of eligibles through Swansea and Cardiff if they altered the home nations rule. 

England seem to be a lot more proactive in stopping players joining other nations these days.

Years ago they'd have left the likes of Rice, Grealish, McTominay, Dembele and moved on. Now they actively court them and try to get them onside. 

44 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

On Tav's Twitch stream he just confirmed Clarke asked him if he would be interested in representing Scotland. Tav was keen, but the English FA put a stop to it.

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t meet the criteria agreed on by the home nations. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t meet the criteria agreed on by the home nations. 

Quite. He would have needed five years schooling in scotland to be eligible. Otherwise the gentlemen's agreement would be null and void between the four nations.

46 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Neither were Driver, Rhodes, etc but the home nation rule was changed for them.

If agreed it could've been changed again. The English FA probably said they didn't want it changed and that stopped it.

It wasn’t changed for Rhodes. He went to school here for 5 years but Driver didn’t. 

Tavernier had likely never set foot in Scotland prior to signing for Rangers and has no Scottish grandparents as far as I’m aware. 

30 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It wasn’t changed for Rhodes. He went to school here for 5 years but Driver didn’t. 

Tavernier had likely never set foot in Scotland prior to signing for Rangers and has no Scottish grandparents as far as I’m aware. 

That's the exact rule I'm talking about. There was no 5 year schooling rule until we proposed that change to the rules in 2009.

We got it rewritten from no one able to play under the residency rule to being able to play if you have 5 years schooling. 

If we wanted to, we could apply to rewrite the rule again, to the normal 5 year residency. That every other nation outside the UK has.

It would require every other home nations approval and then to be ratified by FIFA. Just as we did with the schooling rule.

So we do have a precedent for changing the rules when wanting a player involved.

I'm not saying we should change the rules before anyone starts, I'm just saying it is possible and we have done it in the past.

8 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

That's the exact rule I'm talking about. There was no 5 year schooling rule until we proposed that change to the rules in 2009.

We got it rewritten from no one able to play under the residency rule to being able to play if you have 5 years schooling. 

If we wanted to, we could apply to rewrite the rule again, to the normal 5 year residency. That every other nation outside the UK has.

It would require every other home nations approval and then to be ratified by FIFA. Just as we did with the schooling rule.

So we do have a precedent for changing the rules when wanting a player involved.

I'm not saying we should change the rules before anyone starts, I'm just saying it is possible and we have done it in the past.

I could be wrong (I probably am) but although Rhodes benefitted from the 2009 rule change I didn’t think it was specifically instigated because of him the way the other change was made because of Driver. Not that it matters I suppose. 

The main issue is the English FA doesn’t want the residency rule so it is very unlikely to be brought in. I didn’t think the SFA wanted it either until I heard this nonsense about Tavernier. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I could be wrong (I probably am) but although Rhodes benefitted from the 2009 rule change I didn’t think it was specifically instigated because of him the way the other change was made because of Driver. Not that it matters I suppose. 

The main issue is the English FA doesn’t want the residency rule so it is very unlikely to be brought in. I didn’t think the SFA wanted it either until I heard this nonsense about Tavernier. 

Aye I was surprised when Tavernier said Clarke asked him about representing Scotland.

There was that paper talk about Tavernier being eligible for Scotland, maybe that's where it all stemmed from.

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Aye I was surprised when Tavernier said Clarke asked him about representing Scotland.

There was that paper talk about Tavernier being eligible for Scotland, maybe that's where it all stemmed from.

A lot of journalists (I use the term loosely) likely don’t know the gentleman’s agreement and base their stories on FIFA rules to write a non-story. 

Seems weird only British countries don’t utilise the rule. Even major nations use it. 

Also gentleman’s agreements mean hee haw. I’m glad Clarke asked Tavernier, shows he has some ballsacks.

Also Tav is a Mayfair esque upgrade on the Old Kent Road that is Stephen O’Donnell. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Seems weird only British countries don’t utilise the rule. Even major nations use it. 

Also gentleman’s agreements mean hee haw. I’m glad Clarke asked Tavernier, shows he has some ballsacks.

Also Tav is a Mayfair esque upgrade on the Old Kent Road that is Stephen O’Donnell. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Really.Can only question the name you use on this forum,if you would wan't him to play for Scotland.Sends a shiver down my spine.

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I think it's due to the ambiguity of the status of the 4 home nations (5 when you include Gibraltar) as separate competing natiins and the relationship with FiFa.

It would muddy the waters quite a bit as we own the same passport.

We all share a passport and many in FIFA would happily see us all play under the banner of the UK and being one league. Particularly the Asian and American nations. They think the UK has a bit too much influence and it would make a case for freeing up more world cup spaces for their confederations (4 less teams in European qualifying).

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

They don’t mean hee haw if everyone wants them and sticks to them. 

If we started using the residency rule we would potentially end up with a team full of Teverniers, Goldsons and Kents etc that give zero fucks about Scotland but aren’t good enough for England. 

The current rules aren’t ideal but at least the non-native Scots in the team have some sort of Scottish blood or at least grew up here. 

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

So who is going to support all those clubs left after liquidation of said two?

Just imagine the rise in the attendances of Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dundee United, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone, etc. as they battle it out for the League and the two Cups.

What you are suggesting is a myth proven by the rise in attendances of most of the Premiership teams when Sevco was in the lower tiers.

Going by season ticket sales, it was Celtic who missed them the most during those years.

(Also, keep in mind that no one has gone under during the pandemic.)

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

So who is going to support all those clubs left after liquidation of said two?

31 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Just imagine the rise in the attendances of Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dundee United, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone, etc. as they battle it out for the League and the two Cups.

What you are suggesting is a myth proven by the rise in attendances of most of the Premiership teams when Sevco was in the lower tiers.

Going by season ticket sales, it was Celtic who missed them the most during those years.

(Also, keep in mind that no one has gone under during the pandemic.)

Nailed it.

The football fans among the Old Firm fans would would probably follow their local teams.

The non football fans among the Old Firm fans would lose their free pass to be offensive and anti-social. 

On 5/20/2021 at 4:40 AM, Taylor1996 said:

Nailed it.

The football fans among the Old Firm fans would would probably follow their local teams.

The non football fans among the Old Firm fans would lose their free pass to be offensive and anti-social. 

You state you don’t watch Scottish football so I doubt you have much of an idea what the fans would do to be honest.