James Tavernier - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Tavernier

SWMM82

3 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Quite a lot.  Pick and choose what country you can play for.  That wee prick was born in Scotland.  Scottish parents.  But a tim and had an Irish grandparent and chose to play for them because of bigotry.  I dont want to see an Englishman playing for Scotland.  Or we are all fucked.

So pretty much nothing lol. I don't like mcgeady but he played for Ireland through the grandparent rule. Tavernier would be through the residency rule if he was to represent us. The two situations are massively different. 

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

So pretty much nothing lol. I don't like mcgeady but he played for Ireland through the grandparent rule. Tavernier would be through the residency rule if he was to represent us. The two situations are massively different. 

McGreedy played for Ireland because he was a wee bigot.

4 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Can anyone clarify whether James Tavernier is eligible to play for Scotland or not? Heard a few murmurs that is a possibility? We’re not exactly blessed with talent at RB/RWB

He's not - due to the five-year residency rule being replaced with a five-year education rule for the Home Nations.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Palmer is eligible through the grandparent rule. Has tavernier got a Scottish grandparent? If not then his links to Scotland are based on living here for 5 years. Hardly stronger than Palmer. 

A wee bit of blood doesn't make someone a certain nationality IMO, nor did his comments when he was called up.

This story originates from a story in the Record that slipped passed the Editor about 2 years ago, and the guy behind it refused to back down on social media, even though EVERYONE was telling him (including a few SFA people) that he is nowhere close to being eligible.

While he will have been here 5 years, he has not done 5 years in Scottish education at school and/or college (ie how we got Andy Driver (who we had to get the rule changed twice to include his college education, as he was still a year short of eligible after getting the rule changed) and Jordan Rhodes) and this is the key part.

Really nothing to see here.

Edited by wanderer

44 minutes ago, wanderer said:

This story originates from a story in the Record that slipped passed the Editor about 2 years ago, and the guy behind it refused to back down on social media, even though EVERYONE was telling him (including a few SFA people) that he is nowhere close to being eligible.

While he will have been here 5 years, he has not done 5 years in Scottish education at school and/or college (ie how we got Andy Driver (who we had to get the rule changed twice to include his college education, as he was still a year short of eligible after getting the rule changed) and Jordan Rhodes) and this is the key part.

Really nothing to see here.

Maybe he's been doing an origami course at Glasgow Cally in his spare time.  

When Vogts was manager there was some idiot writing for one of the papers who said that Didier Agathe, Lorenzo Amoruso, Stefan Klos and Alan Thompson were all about to become eligible for Scotland and Vogts was going to call them up :rollsmile:

It may have been an April 1st edition.

15 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

When Vogts was manager there was some idiot writing for one of the papers who said that Didier Agathe, Lorenzo Amoruso, Stefan Klos and Alan Thompson were all about to become eligible for Scotland and Vogts was going to call them up :rollsmile:

It may have been an April 1st edition.

Guardian I believe.... but by that stage the press really had it out to ridicule Vogts at any turn that he was going to do these things (IIRC Burns and Daily made their opinion known at the time).

IIRC this was around when FIFA were tweaking their eligibility rules, but vital factor press missed out on was that there is no such thing as a Scottish Passport, and basically for the home nations we were tied to the "gentleman's agreement".

Think the only one that the Scottish press really made any kind of effort to get a call up was Amoruso, but that was just slow news day stuff.

Edited by wanderer

14 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Some folk on here on the wind up 😄

With respect to the OP, SWMM82 I'm pretty sure the answer is 'not'.

If we were an independent country we could issue him a passport and so long as he'd not played for anyone else, then we could play him.   I'm thinking of guys from Kosovo playing for Switzerland, if not mistaken.

That's true, although the Kosovans playing for Switzerland, I assume, at least grew up in Switzerland. 

Tavernier playing for Scotland would be more akin to European countries capping South American players who had moved to Europe as young adults and become naturalised citizens. For instance, I think Bulgaria and Russia have both had Brazilian-born players play for them in recent years.

I think the closest we have seen to this type of thing where a Scotland manager has commented is Craig Brown after David Johnston (English striker that we attempted to get using a loop hole Wales had used to get Eric Young a few years earlier.... but then was discovered he was not actually eligible and was swept under the rug) and when the Daily Record got a quote out of George Burley when it became known that Nacho Novo was applying for UK citizenship.

8 minutes ago, fringo said:

Talking of which, what happened to Andy Driver ?

Picked up a bad injury when on the verge of a call up, and career never really recovered.

Believe he coaches in the States these days after spells at Aberdeen and Netherlands.

11 hours ago, Arbroath1320 said:

Players coming in for the wrong reasons (i.e. because their agents say an international cap will be help get new contracts) can destroy the morale of the team. The whole is worth more than the sum of the parts. 

I do not think this happens all that often, and usually these players are flushed out after a hand full of caps (a lot of people like to tar James Morrison with this brush, but doubt you will find many who would grudge him a single one of his 46 caps).

The main one that comes to mind (based on what Graham Alexander has said in the passed when he was his room-mate) was Matt Elliott, but that was during that period where Brown would not leave a single stone unturned to find a eligible player from England.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, SWMM82 said:

Can anyone clarify whether James Tavernier is eligible to play for Scotland or not? Heard a few murmurs that is a possibility? We’re not exactly blessed with talent at RB/RWB

Simple answer, is he Scottish?

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I do not think this happens all that often, and usually these players are flushed out after a hand full of caps (a lot of people like to tar James Morrison with this brush, but doubt you will find many who would grudge him a single one of his 46 caps).

The main one that comes to mind (based on what Graham Alexander has said in the passed when he was his room-mate) was Matt Elliott, but that was during that period where Brown would not leave a single stone unturned to find a eligible player from England.

Don't forget Matt "wanker" Ritchie, we all know he felt no bond to Scotland and only played for us after being advised to do so by his agent.