James Tavernier - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Tavernier

SWMM82

On 5/19/2021 at 10:51 PM, ProudScot said:

Seems weird only British countries don’t utilise the rule. Even major nations use it. 

Also gentleman’s agreements mean hee haw. I’m glad Clarke asked Tavernier, shows he has some ballsacks.

Also Tav is a Mayfair esque upgrade on the Old Kent Road that is Stephen O’Donnell. 

There's nothing to stop Scotland - or any other home nation - calling someone who was born abroad but who has achieved UK nationality through residency if they have no ties to any of the other "home" nations.   Sergei Baltacha jr played for the U21s despite being born in Kiev.

The "schooling" aspect only applies to players who were born in another part of the UK or have a tie to one and was introduced to address a discrepancy whereby someone born in say Canada to Canadian parents could move to the USA as a child, gain citizenship through naturalisation and play for the USA whereas someone who born in England to English parents but who moved to Scotland at the same age could only play for England.

Tavernier is not eligible to play for Scotland, Clarke should know this and should never have asked him.

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

There's nothing to stop Scotland - or any other home nation - calling someone who was born abroad but who has achieved UK nationality through residency if they have no ties to any of the other "home" nations.   Sergei Baltacha jr played for the U21s despite being born in Kiev.

The "schooling" aspect only applies to players who were born in another part of the UK or have a tie to one and was introduced to address a discrepancy whereby someone born in say Canada to Canadian parents could move to the USA as a child, gain citizenship through naturalisation and play for the USA whereas someone who born in England to English parents but who moved to Scotland at the same age could only play for England.

Tavernier is not eligible to play for Scotland, Clarke should know this and should never have asked him.

Yeah I’m sure Bruce Grobbelaar was interested in playing for us at one point. Was a non-starter I think as he had already played for Rhodesia/Zimbabwe but if he’d been born in England, Wales or NI there would have been absolutely no chance whether he’d have played for another country or not. 

• 6 months later...
21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If Tavernier keeps playing like he’s got his boots on the wrong feet Patterson will soon oust him.  

I reckon it will be Tav tonight but as you say if he keeps performing as poorly defensively then he will be out regardless of his assists and goals. 

A lot of Tav's assists come from set pieces so it massively inflates what people see as his contribution as an attacking fullback.

Set pieces are important and he (and Turnbull) probably have the best delivery in the league. So I'm not trying to downplay Tav. It's just If you put Patterson at RB and Tav at RW or CM Tav's numbers probably wouldn't change much, but you'd add the more dynamic and powerful running of Patterson to the right hand side.

Hopefully Gio can find a solution. Gerrard claimed he would but never tried and then stopped even giving Patterson a chance.

17 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I reckon it will be Tav tonight but as you say if he keeps performing as poorly defensively then he will be out regardless of his assists and goals. 

A lot of Tav's assists come from set pieces so it massively inflates what people see as his contribution as an attacking fullback.

Set pieces are important and he (and Turnbull) probably have the best delivery in the league. So I'm not trying to downplay Tav. It's just If you put Patterson at RB and Tav at RW or CM Tav's numbers probably wouldn't change much, but you'd add the more dynamic and powerful running of Patterson to the right hand side.

Hopefully Gio can find a solution. Gerrard claimed he would but never tried and then stopped even giving Patterson a chance.

Patterson got 20 min or so at right midfield against Sparta and did well.