James Tavernier - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Tavernier

SWMM82

2 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Can anyone clarify whether James Tavernier is eligible to play for Scotland or not? Heard a few murmurs that is a possibility? We’re not exactly blessed with talent at RB/RWB

Not eligible. 

The home nations can't use the residency rule. But papers will always run stories like this...

He would need 5 years of education within Scotland under the age of 18 to be eligible. 

6 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Can anyone clarify whether James Tavernier is eligible to play for Scotland or not? Heard a few murmurs that is a possibility? We’re not exactly blessed with talent at RB/RWB

Apparently next year he will have completed 5 years' residence in Scotland so his case is comparable to the Andy Driver situation. Difference is that England will not call on him given their depth in that position. I'd say grab him if it gets the go-ahead - we have no one who can offer what he does.

50 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stephen O'Donnell and Liam Palmer are both Scottish.

Tavernier as a player is inferior to both - so no thanks even if he is eligible.

Tavernier isn’t Scottish. 

Hes clearly vastly superior to the two options we have that you have named.

But they are Scottish so we have to make do with them. 

Tavernier would easily be an upgrade on O'Donnell and Palmer IMO.

He possibly has stronger links to Scottish than Palmer has.

We can call him up if we want, pretty certain England have fucked about and called up players they shouldnt have. 

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Tavernier would easily be an upgrade on O'Donnell and Palmer IMO.

He possibly has stronger links to Scottish than Palmer has.

We can call him up if we want, pretty certain England have fucked about and called up players they shouldnt have. 

Palmer is eligible through the grandparent rule. Has tavernier got a Scottish grandparent? If not then his links to Scotland are based on living here for 5 years. Hardly stronger than Palmer. 

51 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Tavernier isn’t Scottish. 

Hes clearly vastly superior to the two options we have that you have named.

But they are Scottish so we have to make do with them. 

He's about the same as Palmer. A capable player who is handy at about Championship level in England, and who could possibly get a season here or there with a promoted club if he got lucky. More likely similar to Barry Douglas and would be jettisoned if his club got promoted.

10 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

He's about the same as Palmer. A capable player who is handy at about Championship level in England, and who could possibly get a season here or there with a promoted club if he got lucky. More likely similar to Barry Douglas and would be jettisoned if his club got promoted.

I think it's quite hard to judge his level but going by the amount of goals and assists he has at Rangers then I think he would be a good bit better than Palmer and anyone else we have. He's got 54 goals in 257 appearances at Rangers which is very impressive. He's scored 8 in 14 so far this season. I think he would probably be a good player for a lower half epl club. 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Apparently next year he will have completed 5 years' residence in Scotland so his case is comparable to the Andy Driver situation. 

Driver moved to Scotland aged 11 and prompted a rewording of the eligibility laws to allow tertiary education to be included in the 5 year minimum requirement.

I can't see any rewording of the laws taking place in Tavernier's case.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Get this tae fuck...

...the granny rule is bad enough, but this would take the biscuit if we go down that road 

With you 100 per cent.Idiots trying to turn it into club football.The whole point of international football is you represent your country.If the players available aren't good enough,that's hard luck.At least they are Scottish and not good enough.Why would any Scotland fan even suggest going down that f..king avenue.STOP IT now.

Fkin joke even suggesting this utter nonsense.

Oh and his goalscoring record?  He takes their penalties FFS!  Nae wonder he's got so many goals to his name.  They get a fkin penalty if one of their XXXXL fans trips going up the stairs for his 5th pie of the match.

Some folk on here on the wind up 😄

With respect to the OP, SWMM82 I'm pretty sure the answer is 'not'.

If we were an independent country we could issue him a passport and so long as he'd not played for anyone else, then we could play him.   I'm thinking of guys from Kosovo playing for Switzerland, if not mistaken.

18 minutes ago, thesaint said:

With you 100 per cent.Idiots trying to turn it into club football.The whole point of international football is you represent your country.If the players available aren't good enough,that's hard luck.At least they are Scottish and not good enough.Why would any Scotland fan even suggest going down that f..king avenue.STOP IT now.

As a Rangers man I am with you as well.  He is a fantastic player but I would not sell my soul and watch him play for Scotland.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Lol whats that got to do with this situation. 

Quite a lot.  Pick and choose what country you can play for.  That wee prick was born in Scotland.  Scottish parents.  But a tim and had an Irish grandparent and chose to play for them because of bigotry.  I dont want to see an Englishman playing for Scotland.  Or we are all fucked.