#OorLadsOorTelly - campaign to get Scotland's games on Scotland's tv - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

#OorLadsOorTelly - campaign to get Scotland's games on Scotland's tv

Bzzzz

Inspired by this thread I contacted my MP, MSP and Sky to push for the game being shown on BBC, STV or even moved to Sky Pick or Sky Sports Mix so more people could access it.

Got a generic "your comments have been noted" from Sky and my MP replied saying he was a former TA member and will attempt to have the TV networks work out a solution. No response from my MSP as of yet.

7 hours ago, wanderer said:

Seem to recall the Yugoslavia away game in 89 shown on STV had something like 2 hours of build up time, as had we won that game we would have qualified with 2 games to spare (away trip to France and then Norway at home).

That Norway game when we secured the required point for Italy was live on STV.

Also V Argentina in March 1990 was also live again on STV, most unusual for a home friendly.

1 hour ago, Catchart Circle said:

That Norway game when we secured the required point for Italy was live on STV.

Also V Argentina in March 1990 was also live again on STV, most unusual for a home friendly.

That was probably on the basis that Maradona would be in town, and after the TV camera's missed out in 79 (footage from that game was by handheld camera), they were not making that mistake again (and then Maradona pulled out).

2 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Had a look at this link. It show's what games were on STV/BBC in the 70's/80's. The link is to the old Home Internationals that people of a certain age might remember. 

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/HomeInts.html

TV in the 70's , used to listen to them on the radio in a transit van. Good times.

17 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Not really sure but i remember listening to Scotland v Chezkoslavakia (wrong spelling) 1973 (Joe Jordan's goal) on the radio. Can't remember if it was shown live, don't think it was?

Spent my lunchtime there browsing the archives (always a load of fun  :))

Anyway despite the ropey scanning it looks like the game was on STV, coverage starting at 7:30pm...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19730926&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Edit... should just have read the front page instead of flicking to the telly page. It was headline news :D

Edited by Toepoke

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Spent my lunchtime there browsing the archives (always a load of fun  :))

Anyway despite the ropey scanning it looks like the game was on STV, coverage starting at 7:30pm...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19730926&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Edit... should just have read the front page instead of flicking to the telly page. It was headline news :D

Wasn't sure.  Have a faint memory of it being in black and white, maybe was the highlights. It's strange i can't fully remember, wasn't on the booze at 7 years old, because i clearly remember watching the 1974 world cup a few months later.

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Wasn't sure.  Have a faint memory of it being in black and white, maybe was the highlights. It's strange i can't fully remember, wasn't on the booze at 7 years old, because i clearly remember watching the 1974 world cup a few months later.

Some classic Arthur commentary...

I've no recollection at all, when there was a big game on TV I'd get shipped out while my dad got his pals round with a cargo.

The first qualifiers I remember were for Argentina 78.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I've no recollection at all, when there was a big game on TV I'd get shipped out while my dad got his pals round with a cargo.

I was thinking the same. Think i got turfed out as well. Good memories and Arthur Montford (legend) a Greenock man and Morton supporter. Cheers for posting match highlights, reminiscing. 👍

No worries, always good to see classic old footage. Fans at the games and everything!

Regarding black and white coverage,  quite a few away games back then weren't in colour...

(The Laudrups' dad with the free kick).

I can remember watching this one...

3 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

STV showed the game live in colour after coming to an agreement with Park Gardens around 24 hours before kick off.

They also reran the whole match again the following Saturday evening.

However you may very well have watched in black and white as many households could not afford a colour set until beyond '73.

Even towards the end of the 1970s commentators would commence by announcing the line ups then adding `and for those of you watching in black and white ****** are in the dark shirts.'

We got our first colour telly ahead of the 1972 Olympics but were by no means among the first to embrace the change.

Edited by Catchart Circle
spelling error

34 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

Even towards the end of the 1970s commentators would commence by announcing the line ups then adding `and for those of you watching in black and white ****** are in the dark shirts.'

As a boy in the 80s i seem to remember snooker commentators doing the same. Or am i imagining/mis-remembering that?

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I remember watching this game but whether it was live or highlights is a bit foggy. What I do remember was every playtime for weeks after everybody was Joe Jordan. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, hampdenroarpod said:

Sky Sports have just announced the Scotland v Serbia game will be available to all viewers in the UK for free

Credit to them.

To save people searching around, tune to the channel "Pick". They're owned by Sky.

Pick showed the EPL matches for free during lockdown.1.0

56 minutes ago, hampdenroarpod said:

Sky Sports have just announced the Scotland v Serbia game will be available to all viewers in the UK for free

Yes on Sky channels. Now surely if that is the case Sky should have no qualms with it being screened live on BBC Scotland or STV? And surely that being the case either the BBC or STV should be making a move to secure the match.