#OorLadsOorTelly - campaign to get Scotland's games on Scotland's tv - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

#OorLadsOorTelly - campaign to get Scotland's games on Scotland's tv

Bzzzz

Hi All, 

We at The Hampden Collection are starting a campaign today to get the Serbia game shown on cooncil (free to air) tv... seems ludicrous that we might be in a situation where on Nov 12th we can watch a meaningless friendly involving our noisy neighbours on tv in Scotland yet have to pay for the privilege to watch our own national team in what is undoubtedly the biggest game in a generation. 

Coronavirus and the restrictions set are going to prevent us going to the game, are going to stop us watching it in the pub with pals or even watching the game with pals at home so surely there's a great argument for getting this massive game on cooncil telly... let's make the tv bosses, fitba bosses, even the Govt answer some questions and make some decisions, let's see if they'll help us support our national team! 

Let's get the conversation started and see what happens, you never know ;)

https://hampdencollection.com/oorladsoortelly/

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Nice idea but not going to happen.  No way sky will agree to this.

Sky would possibly agree to it.... IF BBC and/or STV were prepared to pay up to for the match.

There is nothing stopping STV or BBC Scotland offering to lease the rights to certain games (not all of them, otherwise they could have put a proper bid in for the exclusive rights in the first place), which is perfectly within the rules, as RTE have a deal like this in place with Sky to show Republic of Ireland games, and S4C have a deal like this for Wales games (granted, they get a silly amount of money chucked at them through Government Grants so that can promote Welsh Sport, which see's their viewing figures go from one man and his dog in the Valleys' to almost all of Wales).

Will either of them do it with enough pressure? Doubt it.... STV hardly make any original programming these days and know they have "free" access to a football match already with the England games shown across the ITV network, and BBC Scotland is probably your best bet, but will probably not bother making a offer.

Edited by wanderer

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Sky would possibly agree to it.... IF BBC and/or STV were prepared to pay up to for the match.

There is nothing stopping STV or BBC Scotland offering to lease the rights to certain games (not all of them, otherwise they could have put a proper bid in for the exclusive rights in the first place), which is perfectly within the rules, as RTE have a deal like this in place with Sky to show Republic of Ireland games, and S4C have a deal like this for Wales games (granted, they get a silly amount of money chucked at them through Government Grants so that can promote Welsh Sport, which see's their viewing figures go from one man and his dog in the Valleys' to almost all of Wales).

Will either of them do it with enough pressure? Doubt it.... STV hardly make any original programming these days and know they have "free" access to a football match already with the England games shown across the ITV network, and BBC Scotland is probably your best bet, but will probably not bother making a offer.

Just another part of the continued anglification of the Scottish public.

The BBC have very little interest in promoting anything Scottish.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just another part of the continued anglification of the Scottish public.

The BBC have very little interest in promoting anything Scottish.

I put it more down that they do not want to blow any of their budget getting a game that would mean giving money to one of their rivals, who ultimately would still end up showing the game (Sky can sub the rights, but its only to split the rights, not get exclusive... Sky are free to do with them what they want).

SFA have signed over the rights (via UEFA, since they handle all the tv rights for everyone these days) so very little they can do (other than give opinion, but given they have the money, I doubt they would).... Government could maybe step in, but again, doubt they would as any "sweetener" they give to BBC Scotland, STV will want a cut.

Edited by wanderer

It’s a great idea. It beggars belief we get an England friendly but have to pay to see our own country in a massive game like this at a time when we are being asked to stay at home and so many people are/will be struggling for cash. 

With very little to look forward to this winter and such uncertainty with Covid this is something that IS within someone’s control . Everyone is having to do their bit , TV stations could take the lead and show some integrity. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It’s a great idea. It beggars belief we get an England friendly but have to pay to see our own country in a massive game like this at a time when we are being asked to stay at home and so many people are/will be struggling for cash. 

With very little to look forward to this winter and such uncertainty with Covid this is something that IS within someone’s control . Everyone is having to do their bit , TV stations could take the lead and show some integrity

:lol:

Good luck with that.

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Simple reason, ITV (which STV is part of that network.... STV is not a totally independent station from ITV) won the bid to get exclusive rights...

STV is only really got control over local news and advertisement, anything else is through ITV. 

That is not to say STV do not have options.... they get a "black out" option when it comes to England games, where they are free to show a Bond or Bourne movie, but showing a movie against showing football (be it England) is night and day when it comes to viewers (and thus advert revenue).

Good concept, but it'll never happen.

It's a shame for today's kids that want to watch Scotland.

When England played Wales in a friendly, it had 4 hours of coverage on "STV", including full match and the highlights that same evening, whereas, in the same evening, we played Israel in the semi finals. We got a couple minutes of highlights. It's nice of then for throwing us a few crumbs.

It's not on.

And STV isn't really a thing. We get English tv shows, English commercials, etc. The only thing Scottish about STV is a 30 minute news spot.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Simple reason, ITV (which STV is part of that network.... STV is not a totally independent station from ITV) won the bid to get exclusive rights...

STV is only really got control over local news and advertisement, anything else is through ITV. 

That is not to say STV do not have options.... they get a "black out" option when it comes to England games, where they are free to show a Bond or Bourne movie, but showing a movie against showing football (be it England) is night and day when it comes to viewers (and thus advert revenue).

Well if we cant get the game we should insist they put Braveheart on 😡

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Good concept, but it'll never happen.

It's a shame for today's kids that want to watch Scotland.

When England played Wales in a friendly, it had 4 hours of coverage on "STV", including full match and the highlights that same evening, whereas, in the same evening, we played Israel in the semi finals. We got a couple minutes of highlights. It's nice of then for throwing us a few crumbs.

It's not on.

And STV isn't really a thing. We get English tv shows, English commercials, etc. The only thing Scottish about STV is a 30 minute news spot.

ITV paid  A LOT of money for what they view as the "Crown Jewels" of English football (National Team Games and FA Cup games), but I think they subbed the FA Cup rights out to BT Sports for a few years, but taking them back next year, but they effectively clear their schedule

As said, STV do not have any scheduling control per-se, just get their slots for News Reports and Current Affairs shows.... I believe they get more "freedom" to make their own schedule during the day time slots at weekends (this is where they will stick on one of the Harry Potter movies or show Midsomers Mudrer on a non-stop loop).... we do not actually get "English" commercials, we get a mixture of nationwide companies and local specific (this is the same in England between its regionals), and this is even split up in Scotland (ie Glasgow and South-West get its one commercials... ie the God awful Andrew Wrights Windows "Piggy" advert.... while north of Perth get their own specific ones).... its pretty much same with TV shows (RTE in Ireland pay a pretty big fee to get access to the ITV, mainly X-Factor and until fairly recently Coronation Street).

Edited by wanderer

58 minutes ago, wanderer said:

ITV paid  A LOT of money for what they view as the "Crown Jewels" of English football (National Team Games and FA Cup games), but I think they subbed the FA Cup rights out to BT Sports for a few years, but taking them back next year, but they effectively clear their schedule

As said, STV do not have any scheduling control per-se, just get their slots for News Reports and Current Affairs shows.... I believe they get more "freedom" to make their own schedule during the day time slots at weekends (this is where they will stick on one of the Harry Potter movies or show Midsomers Mudrer on a non-stop loop).... we do not actually get "English" commercials, we get a mixture of nationwide companies and local specific (this is the same in England between its regionals), and this is even split up in Scotland (ie Glasgow and South-West get its one commercials... ie the God awful Andrew Wrights Windows "Piggy" advert.... while north of Perth get their own specific ones).... its pretty much same with TV shows (RTE in Ireland pay a pretty big fee to get access to the ITV, mainly X-Factor and until fairly recently Coronation Street).

Well said.

You should start your own tv thread. ;)

Have STV ever showed a Scotland match? (Apart from a finals tournament) 

Football fans these days are lucky. These days it's wall-to-wall coverage, even if you don't legit pay for Sky or BT, thanks to the net, there are ways around it.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Well said.

You should start your own tv thread. ;)

Have STV ever showed a Scotland match? (Apart from a finals tournament) 

Football fans these days are lucky. These days it's wall-to-wall coverage, even if you don't legit pay for Sky or BT, thanks to the net, there are ways around it.

STV showed most the qualifiers in the late 80's, then throughout the 90's it switched between BBC, Sky and Channel 5 (though much later in the decade.... as they actually gave good coverage of the Scotland national team for a period).

Last game I recall being on STV would have been the Brazil game at Arsenal (will not count the England qualifiers, as STV got these by default through ITV's deal with England. 

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

I agree, I would imagine the BBC would be more likely to be able to twist Sky's arm too as they don't have the advertising aspect and to a point the bidding rivalry as Sky budgets are way out the BBC's league.
That all depends on if the BBC has any interest whatsoever in showing a Scotland game but given the magnitude of the fixture... Sky are losing money all over the place right now obviously, maybe if there was the desire to have a chat and a mutal agreement then that might encourage something to happen.

It does depend on what Sky say but they have to be asked the question and if the terrestrial providers aren't prepared to ask the question then I think it's only fair we know why, we pay our share of the licensing fees... it'd sure as hell be on if it was an England game. 

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A very good and perfectly reasonable idea that deserves our support. Get onto your MSP's and MP's right now.

However the name of the campaign is rather cringeworthy.

Personally I think the name of the campaign is outstanding. ;)

45 minutes ago, jimbers said:

I LOVE the idea...

I just don't see it happening - which is pretty gutting

Well if we don't try then we never will! it's absolutely ludicrous to think that we can't watch our own national team play on our national tv but get fed even England friendlies !? what other country in the world would accept that!? 

I think this is a great idea and have always believed that all Scotland games be available across the country on normal tv.

However, with only 2 and half weeks to go this is likely a bit too soon and even more unlikely.

Has there been any communication with the broadcasters already?

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Oh yes...

Class clip! Thank you.

It would appear that my generation (90s) got shafted for STV coverage. I've been told to that there were games aired from the 80s and now the 70s.

I've never known a qualifier to be showed live on STV, doubt I ever will.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Class clip! Thank you.

It would appear that my generation (90s) got shafted for STV coverage. I've been told to that there were games aired from the 80s and now the 70s.

Seem to recall the Yugoslavia away game in 89 shown on STV had something like 2 hours of build up time, as had we won that game we would have qualified with 2 games to spare (away trip to France and then Norway at home).

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Class clip! Thank you.

Scotland games were about the only football televised live though. Aside from the Scottish Cup final or the odd European club game.

(They used to go OTT on the cup final and Scotland v England game, showing them live on BBC and STV).