Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

One of the major attributes of a top manager is to be able to make changes while the teams doing well. Much as i admire Gallagher & Considine just because we've kept some clean sheets against bang average opposition shouldn't mean they are undroppable. 

I'm not a fan of Grant Hanley but you have to respect the guys been club captain for 2 good level championship/epl clubs. There's no doubt he has limitations & is definitely a player that needs regular game time to reach match sharpness but for me due to his style of play & experience he is the defender i think is most suited to match up to the very physical threat of Mitrovic.

So i really hope Clarke is seriously considering him for that role in Belgrade. 

On 10/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

I couldn't imagine the nick that Gallagher or Considine would get themselves into playing every week in the English premier or championship...

...they done really well in the last set of internationals, but Hanley is miles better than the pair of them.

As for Dykes, it doesnt surprise me in the slightest that he isn't scoring goals down there 

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Why would he be on the verge of a call up? I don't understand ppls thinking with regards gauld. Hes playing for the bottom team in Portugal and he's scored 1 pen. There would have to be injuries to several of our midfielders and wingers for him to be due a call up.

I could understand if he was a stand out for decent team in Portugal but he's playing for the equivalent of St Johnstone in Portugal. 

If a player stand out in a poor team in a good league, it’s an even greater achievement. 

16 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The Norwich fans online are not at all impressed with him and many want him replaced.

Ryan Porteous has had injury problems and sat out a number of games too in the last couple of years but Clarke still called him up to have a look.

Hanley is well down the pecking order now that we have Scott McTominay, Kieran Tierney, Liam Cooper, Declan Gallagher, Andy Considine and Paul Hanlon all competing for places in the back three. Then there's also young central defenders like Ryan Porteous and Tom McIntyre to consider.

I don't see a way back for Hanley. 

Agree - if you’re picking players on how they’ve performed it’s rare to think of a Hanley Scotland game he wasn’t culpable for a goal, whereas the guys who’ve come in like Gallagher & Considine haven’t put a foot wrong thus far. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

QPR fans saying dykes isn’t good enough for them, but for Scotland he looks better than a £20 million Mcburnie. Maybe they aren’t playing him in the right way. 

Maybe don’t take too much notice of punters on football forums. People browsing here would come away with some quite strange ideas after all. 

11 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Similar to Shankland I guess. Excelled in lower division and is now playing for a team that could get relegated. Didn’t stop him being called up. 

Gauld has done more at Scottish Premiership level though. 

No.10 is a position we need a bit of depth in too. Fraser was playing out of position there (although obviously did well), and we didn’t have any obvious  options on the bench as Christie was pulled out. 

Maybe if he is getting played upfront with dykes but even then there are guys like Griffiths, fraser, christie, Nisbet, shankland, Burke, mcburnie, Phillips who could play upfront with dykes or anyone else. 

I was a big fan of gauld when he broke through and had high hopes for him for years but where at the point where its unlikely he will ever be a major first team player for us. We have better options in midfield and even upfront. I reckon he will get a few caps eventually but there are better options playing at a higher level. If he really starts to hit form for farense then fair enough but until then I don't see any justification for a call up. 

10 hours ago, theabsentee said:

One of the major attributes of a top manager is to be able to make changes while the teams doing well. Much as i admire Gallagher & Considine just because we've kept some clean sheets against bang average opposition shouldn't mean they are undroppable. 

I'm not a fan of Grant Hanley but you have to respect the guys been club captain for 2 good level championship/epl clubs. There's no doubt he has limitations & is definitely a player that needs regular game time to reach match sharpness but for me due to his style of play & experience he is the defender i think is most suited to match up to the very physical threat of Mitrovic.

So i really hope Clarke is seriously considering him for that role in Belgrade. 

Clarke has managed to make considine and gallagher look solid. I am willing to bet he could do the same with Hanley. Hanley is limited like those two but he's been a steady operator at championship level and made alot of his Scotland errors while we were a shambles of a side. He also made these mistakes while still a young player learning a position that relies on experience. 

I would be happy for Clarke to give Hanley a chance in the squad again especially if we are hot by lots of injuries/suspensions. 

32 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe if he is getting played upfront with dykes but even then there are guys like Griffiths, fraser, christie, Nisbet, shankland, Burke, mcburnie, Phillips who could play upfront with dykes or anyone else. 

I was a big fan of gauld when he broke through and had high hopes for him for years but where at the point where its unlikely he will ever be a major first team player for us. We have better options in midfield and even upfront. I reckon he will get a few caps eventually but there are better options playing at a higher level. If he really starts to hit form for farense then fair enough but until then I don't see any justification for a call up. 

Remove Phillips from that list: he is yesterday's man while Shankland, Nisbet etc. can all improve.

Hickey played another 90 minutes for Bologna in their 3-2 win yesterday.

Looking at his stats his pass success rate so far this season is nearly 90% with only Callum McGregor showing a slightly better success % in the Scotland squad.

I would say passing is the first of the so called technical abilities you have to master so he could be developing into some player.

Seems like we have been talking about him for years on here but he's not still a fair way from turning 19.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

First guy you mention can't even get a start for his club side. Thought it was funny but not worthy off a comment when some one suggested he would have a few more games under his belt by the time of the Serbia game.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hickey played another 90 minutes for Bologna in their 3-2 win yesterday.

Looking at his stats his pass success rate so far this season is nearly 90% with only Callum McGregor showing a slightly better success % in the Scotland squad.

I would say passing is the first of the so called technical abilities you have to master so he could be developing into some player.

Seems like we have been talking about him for years on here but he's not still a fair way from turning 19.

Seems like ariana grande is a fan. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6220204/hickey-bologna-grande-tweet-neilson-hearts/amp/

Its looking good for Hickey but you have to wonder where he will play for Scotland considering we have robertson and Tierney in his position. Granted there will be injuries and Tierney will play CB alot but its a shame if Hickey turns into a top left back but can't get a game for us. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Seems like ariana grande is a fan. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6220204/hickey-bologna-grande-tweet-neilson-hearts/amp/

Its looking good for Hickey but you have to wonder where he will play for Scotland considering we have robertson and Tierney in his position. Granted there will be injuries and Tierney will play CB alot but its a shame if Hickey turns into a top left back but can't get a game for us. 

Then again he might turn out to be better than both of them.

54 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Then again he might turn out to be better than both of them.

He also 8 years younger than Robertson and 5 with Tirnery

So we could be well set for a quality left back for the next 15 years if he keeps improving

Edited by bookerman