Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 63 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Not so much for the next round of games, but we are going to have to start looking at who is expendable and/or replaceable. With our squad depth now, we are going to have to be ruthless. 

I'd say Taylor, McLean, Considine, Shankland are at the front of the queue for the chopping block, among others. Whereas Armstrong seems to be playing every game like his place depends on it. The competition is fierce.

Paterson for Shankland. Also McBurnie can do one too, donkey

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Taylors already at risk already without even considering hickey. We have 2 brilliant left backs and there's a queue of players who deserve a place in the squad in other positions. 

The only way I can see Taylor making the final cut is if one of the other left-backs gets injured, and even then Hickey might be preferred due to his versatility (he can also play right-back).

I notice Tierney hasn't featured at all for Arsenal these past few weeks though, I take it he's injured?

Edited by scotlad

21 minutes ago, scotlad said:

The only way I can see Taylor making the final cut is if one of the other left-backs gets injured, and even then Hickey might be preferred due to his versatility (he can also play right-back).

I notice Tierney hasn't featured at all for Arsenal these past few weeks though, I take it he's injured?

Yeah, been injured. Meant to be back in the next couple of weeks. 

23 man squad is extemely tight when you consider 3 of them will ve goalkeepers. So that only leaves 20 outfield players.

For that reason it would make sence to have Hickey in the squad along with the 2 first choice wing backs. Tierney then provides additional cover for LWB.

When you try to pick a squad its very hard to get the balance and provide cover. Luckily we have a few players that can cover a cpl of positions.

Would be madness to take a 3rd choice lwb who can only play in that 1 position.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I would agree with those guys getting the cut but as I have said before I can't see Clarke cutting McLean. Guy scored both pens that sent us to the euros. Not saying that he should stay in the squad but I think Clarke will include him. 

Shankland will get cut unless he really goes on a scoring run, although tbf he did bag 2 yesterday. He's going to need to do that every week from now on to keep his place for the euro squad imo. 

So far Clarke doesn't seem to have favoured some over others. He's been very happy to call people up out of left field and throw them in the mix. However, it is human nature to have your favourites. Virtually all managers are guilty of it. Which is why I can see Taylor and McLean being included, though I don't think they should either.

Paterson is a good shout because we know that he can play multiple positions and is on form.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that UEFA will allow for larger squads for this tournament with the threat of squads being decimated by the virus. (That is pure speculation and I have no evidence to support this.)

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

23 man squad is extemely tight when you consider 3 of them will ve goalkeepers. So that only leaves 20 outfield players.

For that reason it would make sence to have Hickey in the squad along with the 2 first choice wing backs. Tierney then provides additional cover for LWB.

When you try to pick a squad its very hard to get the balance and provide cover. Luckily we have a few players that can cover a cpl of positions.

Would be madness to take a 3rd choice lwb who can only play in that 1 position.

Yeh I agree, there's no chance Taylor makes a 23 man squad. Only hope for him is a larger squad or an injury to Robertson or Tierney which could well happen tbf. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I agree, there's no chance Taylor makes a 23 man squad. Only hope for him is a larger squad or an injury to Robertson or Tierney which could well happen tbf. 

I think Taylor would make the squad. I think he has been recently whilst Tierney and Robertson have been available and I think it's too soon for Hickey.

I wouldn't include McLean but it seems so unfair not to take him (but that's international football).

33 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think Taylor would make the squad. I think he has been recently whilst Tierney and Robertson have been available and I think it's too soon for Hickey.

I wouldn't include McLean but it seems so unfair not to take him (but that's international football).

We’ve always had more than 23 players. 

20 outfield players with 3 left backs would be insane. 

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Only because our squads have been larger due to covid. Its hard to justify his inclusion in a 23 man squad especially when he only plays 1 position. Also theres a few players who have emerged recently who Clarke will want to include. I can't see Taylor making a 23 man squad if clarke wants to include guys like turnbull, Gauld and gilmour. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Only because our squads have been larger due to covid. Its hard to justify his inclusion in a 23 man squad especially when he only plays 1 position. Also theres a few players who have emerged recently who Clarke will want to include. I can't see Taylor making a 23 man squad if clarke wants to include guys like turnbull, Gauld and gilmour. 

Exactly.

As I see it Taylor, Paterson, McLean & Considine are in prime position to be replaced by Gauld, Turnbull, Gilmour & Hendry.

Nisbet could easily be called up too. 

You also have a good few players out of form too; Motherwell are having a bad season & O’Donnell is not playing well. Gallagher also. McLaughlin won’t have played a match in months either. 

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

We’ve always had more than 23 players. 

20 outfield players with 3 left backs would be insane. 

I think I agree with you. I was just guessing what Clarke will do. There is logic in it though. The replacement left back (Tierney) is already in the first XI and has a history of injuries. 

16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

So far Clarke doesn't seem to have favoured some over others. He's been very happy to call people up out of left field and throw them in the mix. However, it is human nature to have your favourites. Virtually all managers are guilty of it. Which is why I can see Taylor and McLean being included, though I don't think they should either.

Paterson is a good shout because we know that he can play multiple positions and is on form.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that UEFA will allow for larger squads for this tournament with the threat of squads being decimated by the virus. (That is pure speculation and I have no evidence to support this.)

Last thing they'll want when they get down to the last 16 games when some of the big boys start playing each other is it being decided by who can get a balanced XI out so reckon you're right.  Given how this season is going you can see there being loads of niggles and strains by that time as players will have nowt in the tank but fumes.  

Pure wild stab in the dark but reckon they might go for 26-28.  

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He'll probably still be in "recovery" mode for our next set of games. 

I reckon if he’s fit arsenal will ask that he doesn’t play in all 3 games. He’s only been injured a month, so that’s the least I’d expect. 

Same for Robertson, he’s playing in 3/4 of our games. 

Means that they’ll only play together once if you want at least one of them playing in each game. 

Or play neither against the Faroes...so probably will mean Taylor will be called up.

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Last thing they'll want when they get down to the last 16 games when some of the big boys start playing each other is it being decided by who can get a balanced XI out so reckon you're right.  Given how this season is going you can see there being loads of niggles and strains by that time as players will have nowt in the tank but fumes.  

Pure wild stab in the dark but reckon they might go for 26-28.  

Yeah, I can see that. If you assume an extra player for each area of the park - Defence, Midfield, Forward. So an extra 3 seems about right. I'm excluding an extra goalie since 3 is already excessive. I think Fraser Forster was the only player that didn't get a single minute of game time for England during that world cup.

There will be an extra variable to condider - versatility. Paterson is far more flexible than, say, McLean. So that could work in his favour when you have players of equal quality to choose from. 

Same goes for Burke. He could play in multiple positions, where as Shankland can't (as far as I know).

46 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, I can see that. If you assume an extra player for each area of the park - Defence, Midfield, Forward. So an extra 3 seems about right. I'm excluding an extra goalie since 3 is already excessive. I think Fraser Forster was the only player that didn't get a single minute of game time for England during that world cup.

There will be an extra variable to condider - versatility. Paterson is far more flexible than, say, McLean. So that could work in his favour when you have players of equal quality to choose from. 

Same goes for Burke. He could play in multiple positions, where as Shankland can't (as far as I know).

Paterson can play anywhere, pretty averagely.

The quality of our squad is on the rise and with additions to come in youd expect guys like Paterson to only be drafted in when we are short going forward. 

That being said he is a better option than McBurnie and more likely to score a goal, despite not always being played as a striker. 

Guest ElChris04

After watching O’Donnell for Motherwell yesterday before he got sent off against Hamilton, it’s that time again where I grow increasingly worried about our right back depth. 

I prefer him over Palmer, but I’m saying that I really hope Clarke calls up a fresh face at right back and gives them a go ahead of O’Donnell giving his current extremely poor form at club level. 

Nathan Patterson - talented natural young right back, maybe the most unlikely with Lack of experience and minutes at club level. 

Paul McGinn - called up the last set of games, much better than SOD this season at club level.

Shaun Rooney - one that’s went under the radar I think, he’s been absolutely fantastic for St Johnstone at RWB and the most inform scottish natural right back in the league he’s really getting better as each game goes on. Only 24 too, he’d be my ideal pick domestically. 

Aaron Hickey - double footed fullback, not much needed to say about this boy, clearly the most talented out there names selected. I would love to see how he’d fair at RWB. 

Edited by ElChris04

7 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

After watching O’Donnell for Motherwell yesterday before he got sent off against Hamilton, it’s that time again where I grow increasingly worried about our right back depth. 

I prefer him over Palmer, but I’m saying that I really hope Clarke calls up a fresh face at right back and gives them a go ahead of O’Donnell giving his current extremely poor form at club level. 

Nathan Patterson - talented natural young right back, maybe the most unlikely with Lack of experience and minutes at club level. 

Paul McGinn - called up the last set of games, much better than SOD this season at club level.

Shaun Rooney - one that’s went under the radar I think, he’s been absolutely fantastic for St Johnstone at RWB and the most inform scottish natural right back in the league he’s really getting better as each game goes on. Only 24 too, he’d be my ideal pick domestically. 

Aaron Hickey - double footed fullback, not much needed to say about this boy, clearly the most talented out there names selected. I would love to see how he’d fair at RWB. 

I think that list sums up why Clarke will stick with o donnell and palmer.

Sadly we just don't have quality at right back. Might be different in a few years but for now it will be a case of making the best out of what we have. 

Hickey looks quite good but whether he can play well on the right side is still to be seen. 

Tbf o donnell has been decent for Scotland recently. 

17 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Full backs arent required to play in wingback positions. Wide midfielders, wingers or even central midfielders would be able to slot into those positions. There's loads of options.

In 96 we played with 2 full backs (Tosh McKinlay and Stewart McKimmie) but in 98 it was a central midfielder (Craig Burley) and a center back/utility player (Christian Dailly)