Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 62 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

12 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Nice strike, good to see him doing well, he's only 18 so maybe next season he can get a loan move to a club at a higher level and continue developing.

We seem to be producing lots of quality midfielders so he will have to be pretty special to get into our future first team. 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Was impressed by Lindsay last night, hopefully can kick on after a bad spell at Stoke, also seen Lewis Fiorini playing well on a regular basis and scored last night for Nac Breda on loan from Man city. 

I think he’s one we need to keep an eye on. He’s getting rave reviews and was extremely highly rated at youth level. Eligible for England, too. 

Scott Wright very impressive when he came on today. I know he had injury trouble at Aberdeen. He looked great at Scotland youth level, but I remember him as a fast player with very quick feet. He was all about first touch and vision today. Early days perhaps, but another on my watch list. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

31 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I think I read that it was unlikely because of travel ban between Portugal and UK due to covid

Yeah, don’t think he’ll be able to meet the squad in Scotland. 

Think they’d have to call him up for the Israel away game only and meet him there the day before. Seems very unlikely. 

Unless Portugal are removed from the red list/the government change the rule for sportsmen. 

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Man of the Match according to votes on One Football

MoM according to who scored as well , but then they have him as the third best player in the league.

The sites opinion

Position Apps Goals Assists Rating
AMC (Attacking Midfielder Centre) 7 2 0 7.29
FW (Forward Centre) 4 2 2 7.44
FWL (Forward Left) 3 0 1 7.39
AMR (Attacking Midfielder Right) 2 1 0 7.44
ML (Midfielder Left) 2 1 1 7.27
MR (Midfielder Right) 1 0 0 7.05
* Only tournaments with detailed coverage

Ryan Gauld Characteristics

+ Strengths

Crossing
Very Strong
Key passes
Very Strong
Taking set-pieces
Very Strong
Defensive contribution
Very Strong
Through balls
Strong
Dribbling
Strong
Holding on to the ball
Strong

- Weaknesses

Passing
Weak

Ryan Gauld's Style of Play

Plays the ball off the ground often
Likes to cross
Likes to dribble
Likes to play long balls
Likes to tackle

I always like to see Defensive contribution "Very strong" as a country with limited players I think they all need to help defend. Likes to tackle is another bonus.

Only reason his passing is weak is because it's high risk and I think key passes and through balls are worth a lot more than a 90% success rate with passes that create nothing

He would be competing with Ryan Fraser among others for a place in the team. Who scored don't think as much of him.

Playing Positions

Position Apps Goals Assists Rating
Sub (Substitute) 6 0 0 6.16
FW (Forward Centre) 4 1 0 7.04
ML (Midfielder Left) 2 0 1 6.32
MC (Midfielder Centre) 1 0 0 6.38
AMC (Attacking Midfielder Centre) 1 0 0 6.03
* Only tournaments with detailed coverage

Ryan Fraser Characteristics

+ Strengths

Taking set-pieces
Strong
Holding on to the ball
Strong
Key passes
Strong

- Weaknesses

Aerial Duels
Weak
Finishing
Weak
Defensive contribution
Weak

Ryan Fraser's Style of Play

Likes to cross
Does not dive into tackles

Christie and Turnball are the other players we currently have playing in the sort of position he would occupy and they are the only two Scottish players in the top ten in our league according to who scored ratings.. 

Gauld usually plays as a second striker, so, he'd be vying with Fraser, Forrest, Christie, Turnbull and McGinn for the attacking midfield position or the second striker position.

I've watched Gauld a dozen times and more times than not he's been the best player on the park. Even against Sporting Lisbon he had a couple of nice touches.

The only thing that should stand in his way for a Scotland call up is government restrictions. He deserves a chance, when it's possible.

Watched a lot of Celtic games this season & Greg Taylor is a strange one.

He is good but he’s only about 5’5. This is fine when you’re a team who dominates possession but Scotland aren’t and we need to defend many set pieces crosses etc. 

He is caught out for Celtic with crosses and it would be the same for us.

Added to the fact we have Robertson & Tierney, I think his place in the squad can be taken by someone else & not necessarily even a left back as we have those two anyway. 

Even if Tierney is CB we could soon move him to LB and take on a CB of Robertson got injured. 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Watched a lot of Celtic games this season & Greg Taylor is a strange one.

He is good but he’s only about 5’5. This is fine when you’re a team who dominates possession but Scotland aren’t and we need to defend many set pieces crosses etc. 

He is caught out for Celtic with crosses and it would be the same for us.

Added to the fact we have Robertson & Tierney, I think his place in the squad can be taken by someone else & not necessarily even a left back as we have those two anyway. 

Even if Tierney is CB we could soon move him to LB and take on a CB of Robertson got injured. 

Yeh he's a sitting duck in terms of getting cut. It's a shame because he is decent enough and has been dedicated throughout the youth teams. It's just a tough luck that we have two world class left backs. 

With guys like Hanley, gilmour, Gauld, turnbull and hendry all making strong cases for inclusion then I can see Clarke cutting Taylor to accommodate 1 of these players. 

37 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh he's a sitting duck in terms of getting cut. It's a shame because he is decent enough and has been dedicated throughout the youth teams. It's just a tough luck that we have two world class left backs. 

With guys like Hanley, gilmour, Gauld, turnbull and hendry all making strong cases for inclusion then I can see Clarke cutting Taylor to accommodate 1 of these players. 

If Hickey progresses and can command a starting position for Bologna then Talyor is at risk.  Hickey is actually right footed so could provide cover for both right and left back.

22 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Goals are the only thing missing from his game. Yet still some on here make disparaging remarks about him. Just listen to Gerrard talking about him; he knows a midfield player when he sees one.

Ryan Jack is a great player and vastly under appreciated here.  Does the simple things really well and rarely gives the ball away.  Major influence in us qualifying.  Will take something special to take his place in the team.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

If Hickey progresses and can command a starting position for Bologna then Talyor is at risk.  Hickey is actually right footed so could provide cover for both right and left back.

Taylors already at risk already without even considering hickey. We have 2 brilliant left backs and there's a queue of players who deserve a place in the squad in other positions. 

57 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not so much for the next round of games, but we are going to have to start looking at who is expendable and/or replaceable. With our squad depth now, we are going to have to be ruthless. 

I'd say Taylor, McLean, Considine, Shankland are at the front of the queue for the chopping block, among others. Whereas Armstrong seems to be playing every game like his place depends on it. The competition is fierce.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Not so much for the next round of games, but we are going to have to start looking at who is expendable and/or replaceable. With our squad depth now, we are going to have to be ruthless. 

I'd say Taylor, McLean, Considine, Shankland are at the front of the queue for the chopping block, among others. Whereas Armstrong seems to be playing every game like his place depends on it. The competition is fierce.

Yeh I would agree with those guys getting the cut but as I have said before I can't see Clarke cutting McLean. Guy scored both pens that sent us to the euros. Not saying that he should stay in the squad but I think Clarke will include him. 

Shankland will get cut unless he really goes on a scoring run, although tbf he did bag 2 yesterday. He's going to need to do that every week from now on to keep his place for the euro squad imo.