Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Bit worried about McGregor after watching him play v Sparta. Lacks freal defensive instincts and he will play next to Jack. If only we could borrow Steven Davis for one match.

Theres no need to borrow anyone let alone a 35 year old Steven Davis considering we have good midfielders. Mcgregor shouldn't start for us, would rather mctominay, Mcginn, christie in midfield with Armstrong and Jack as replacements if needed. Mcgregor hasn't been impressive for Scotland but I do think he's a good player. There is a good chance Clarke picks him to start tho. 

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Bit worried about McGregor after watching him play v Sparta. Lacks freal defensive instincts and he will play next to Jack. If only we could borrow Steven Davis for one match.

Exactly right.

Who first played him as an anchorman? When he was at Notts County he scored goals galore as an attacking midfielder.

When he's in a double pivot he's way too conservative. And as you say, he has no defensive instincts. He's wasted in that position. Same way that McTominay is wasted as an anchorman at Manchester United.

From his recent interviews, Billy Gilmour seems desperate to get back playing and is confident he can get first team action for Chelsea in the new year.

I do wonder if we'll see him make an appearance off the bench for the U21s ? Chelsea would probably rather he just trained with them though.

It was also refreshing to read that Gilmour spent a lot of his time in lockdown learning sign language so he can communicate with deaf fans. What a nice lad. Not many players would be interested in doing something like that :ok:

4 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Proper blow that. Created a good partnership with Dykes. Christie is the direct replacement but this leaves us with a lack of pace. And Christie won’t make the same runs in behind. 

Yeah nothing surprises me with call offs anymore. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more in the next few days. 

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I guess Burke or Armstrong could play Fraser’s role too. 

Hopefully Armstrong plays well today and Burke can somehow get a start and do well for Sheffield United tomorrow. 

Armstrong seems to be in more of an advanced role tonight. If he does well then could be a shout. 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Is that confirmed? Or are you just assuming because he's not even on the bench tonight?

Tbh, if he's not in the Newcastle squad, I'd assume he really is injured. He's had some stick over the past couple of years with pull outs, but I thought he came across really well in past couple of post match interviews about turning out for Scotland

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Theres no need to borrow anyone let alone a 35 year old Steven Davis considering we have good midfielders. Mcgregor shouldn't start for us, would rather mctominay, Mcginn, christie in midfield with Armstrong and Jack as replacements if needed. Mcgregor hasn't been impressive for Scotland but I do think he's a good player. There is a good chance Clarke picks him to start tho. 

McGregor is never good enough for international football...playing for Celtic in the spl is an absolute skoosh, but put him in an environment where he is up against good players and he is fucked

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Jack will be first name on the team sheet at the moment. 

I agree Macgregor is a liability in central midfield. I’ve no idea why almost all fans and pundits  and Clarke have him as the first name on the team sheet. I wasn’t too impressed with Jack or Maclean either but to be fair both played well in the last 2 matches for Scotland. I’d have Jack and Maclean filling those two midfield slots behind McGinn. Otherwise I’m predicting a similar game to the Czech Republic, were we get overrun with wave after wave of opposition attacks.

18 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Stuart Armstrong having a really good game here 

Must be the most underrated Scots player around of last 2-3 years. Got good under Rodgers at Celtic and helped improved the 2018 qualification group halfway through.

Southampton results always seem to pick up when he gets a run of starts. False position but he's currently a regular for number one team in premier league.

Would be starting him no danger in Belgrade as he's capable of making forward runs and getting the odd goal and hugely important Dykes dosen't get massively isolated.

Had covid already so that won't be a problem this time.