Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Or (radical idea incoming) we could use them both on the pitch at the same time ?

There is still time for Dykes for to turn it around at QPR but that time is admittedly starting to run out. 

Possibly we could see Dykes back in the Scottish Premiership on loan next season perhaps somewhere like Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts ? Liam Kelly too might prefer a return to Scotland.

When it comes to Dykes, this board is more anxious than the stock exchange. He will be fine, it is quite clear he is international quality. 

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Or (radical idea incoming) we could use them both on the pitch at the same time ?

There is still time for Dykes for to turn it around at QPR but that time is admittedly starting to run out. 

Possibly we could see Dykes back in the Scottish Premiership on loan next season perhaps somewhere like Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts ? Liam Kelly too might prefer a return to Scotland.

Heavens above! Only been there 5 minutes. Actually Scotland has a history of low-scoring centre forwards (Jordan, John O'Hare to name but two) but they have generally been good at hold-up play.

16 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Daily Record reporting that Mikey Johnston is back in training. Really hope he develops as he could be a good alternative to Fraser.

Johnston isn't anywhere near the same level as Fraser.  He could still be a good option but I find him frustrating but accept he is still young. 

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tom McIntyre started for table topping Reading and they lost 3-0 at home to an average Preston team(they do have a good manager though)

Preston have the best away record in that league...and the worst home record.  They are a very strange team this season.

McIntyre did give away the penalty which opened the scoring.  I think he's getting blamed for the second too in what was a really poor match for him.  

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Johnston isn't anywhere near the same level as Fraser.  He could still be a good option but I find him frustrating but accept he is still young. 

I agree but I feel he offers a creative spark we don't really have without Fraser. Even if it's from the bench.

I've been really disappointed with Middleton's lack of progression (still time) and so I hope Johnston can step up soon.

I guess this goes back to the Gauld discussion. Christie, McGregor, Forrest, Armstrong and McGinn are all great but Fraser is the one who can spark.

45 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I agree but I feel he offers a creative spark we don't really have without Fraser. Even if it's from the bench.

I've been really disappointed with Middleton's lack of progression (still time) and so I hope Johnston can step up soon.

I guess this goes back to the Gauld discussion. Christie, McGregor, Forrest, Armstrong and McGinn are all great but Fraser is the one who can spark.

I agree about Middleton.  I thought he'd be doing a lot better than he is now.  

I personally think getting the best out of Fraser is the absolute key to us being able to kick on.  He creates chances, he can score goals and he wins a lot of free-kicks all over the pitch.  Great player that should be playing for a team that plays in Europe every season. 

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Heavens above! Only been there 5 minutes. Actually Scotland has a history of low-scoring centre forwards (Jordan, John O'Hare to name but two) but they have generally been good at hold-up play.

Players don't get long nowadays in that particular division to prove themselves. You have to hit the ground running and keep it up.

QPR are an extremely ambitious team who are desperate to get back into the Premier League.

If in his next few games for QPR, Dykes fails to score, then he could spent the next half of the season on the bench at QPR. He does still have some time to bang in a few for them but as I said, he better start soon because that time is starting to run out.

There would be no shame if next year Dykes did come back on loan up here at somewhere like Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs where he would likely do well.

I kind of see the guy as a long awaited new and improved version of Darren Jackson.

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Players don't get long nowadays in that particular division to prove themselves. You have to hit the ground running and keep it up.

QPR are an extremely ambitious team who are desperate to get back into the Premier League.

If in his next few games for QPR, Dykes fails to score, then he could spent the next half of the season on the bench at QPR. He does still have some time to bang in a few for them but as I said, he better start soon because that time is starting to run out.

There would be no shame if next year Dykes did come back on loan up here at somewhere like Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs where he would likely do well.

I kind of see the guy as a long awaited new and improved version of Darren Jackson.

Googled to check Darren Jackson was actually was a forward! Still not convinced unless we played three up front against Brazil in 98.

Didn't know he was 32 then but one of my strongest memories of the 98 world cup was looking at a French newspaper after the Brazil game, no French between us but the comment  "le enigma Darren Jackson" made sense.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

nope, dykes and Fraser to play.  Griffiths on the bench.

Hope not  Griffiths is a better goal threat.

33 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Did you not hear Sutton lambast him on BT sport? Overweight, bad attitude! He said.

Sutton is a dobber

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Googled to check Darren Jackson was actually was a forward! Still not convinced unless we played three up front against Brazil in 98.

Didn't know he was 32 then but one of my strongest memories of the 98 world cup was looking at a French newspaper after the Brazil game, no French between us but the comment  "le enigma Darren Jackson" made sense.

He played in midfield at France 98. When McAllister was ruled out most people thought Billy McKinlay would get his place in the starting 11, however after showing up well pre-tournament, Jackson got the nod. 

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Griffiths goalscoring record at celtic is impressive. Its like a goal every 138 mins according to transfer market. If he was French or another nationality he would be appreciated alot more by Celtic fans and some epl team would of offered big money for him imo. 

I think the problem with Griffiths is he is far from the model professional.  I like him a lot but there is always something with him, and that is why he's not been able to secure a big money move. 

38 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think the problem with Griffiths is he is far from the model professional.  I like him a lot but there is always something with him, and that is why he's not been able to secure a big money move. 

Yeh tbf celtic have been patient with him. He really needs to sort himself out and get a proper full season under his belt. It's a shame from a Scotland point of view because the last couple of years should of been his prime but he's been out due to mental health and injuries etc. Hes still only 30 so we should be looking to get another 3/4 years out of him if he decides to keep playing international football. 

18 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

3-5-2 (As was all the matches at Feance 98)

Jackson was in a central midfield three with Collins and Lambert. Durie and Gallagher were up front.

I still have the match on VHS. No idea if it still works. Haven't watched it in forever, for obvious reasons.

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Bit worried about McGregor after watching him play v Sparta. Lacks freal defensive instincts and he will play next to Jack. If only we could borrow Steven Davis for one match.

Or maybe McGregor will enjoy getting away from a club in turmoil and joining up with his national team that has a good spirit, a manager who actually knows his arse from elbow and where a strong work ethic exists ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle