Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 108 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

22 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Gilmour really grown into the game in the second half 

Would be sad if he gets McLean's slot because of injury to the latter. I'm not the biggest fan of McLean but if Gilmour doesn't take his place then I can't think who does.

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Would be sad if he gets McLean's slot because of injury to the latter. I'm not the biggest fan of McLean but if Gilmour doesn't take his place then I can't think who does.

I think both would have gone after Gilmour’s performance. If McLean is injured it will be devastating for him, but Clarke really has no decision to make. 

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I will be very surprised if he ends up at a top 6-8 side in England. Turnbull has absolutely wonderful technique and good vision but he has no pace and little athleticism. These are key in the modern game down in England and will stop Turnbull from reaching that kind of level.

This doesn't mean he won't/is be a good footballer and that he should be going to the EURO's (which he should be). I just doubt he will reach the top end down in England due to his pace and athleticism.

Firstly, I disagree that he has no pace or athleticism. But, even if it were true, that is something that is easily remedied with a decent coach. Which you'd hope he'll get at Celtic next year. Celtic have been notoriously unfit under Lennon. Add to the fact that Turnbull came back from a near-career ending injury. It takes time to get to the elite level of fitness. I doubt anyone will question his athleticism a year from now. 

I didn't see Gilmour today, but if both Jack and McLean are out of the Euros, and we have a 26 man squad, then I'll really start to question Clarke's decision making if he doesn't call him up to the preliminary squad at the very least.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Firstly, I disagree that he has no pace or athleticism. But, even if it were true, that is something that is easily remedied with a decent coach. Which you'd hope he'll get at Celtic next year. Celtic have been notoriously unfit under Lennon. Add to the fact that Turnbull came back from a near-career ending injury. It takes time to get to the elite level of fitness. I doubt anyone will question his athleticism a year from now. 

I didn't see Gilmour today, but if both Jack and McLean are out of the Euros, and we have a 26 man squad, then I'll really start to question Clarke's decision making if he doesn't call him up to the preliminary squad at the very least.

Yeah with maclean and Jack out there aren't really much other options to pick from for that holding (anchor) role. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Adams misses another one-on-one with the keeper. (3rd time in the previous 3 matches)

45 seconds later, Liverpool score.

And again. 

He must be the most nervous striker in front of goal that I've ever seen, especially at EPL level.

Edited by Taylor1996

Glenn Middleton came on and completely changed the game for St. Johnstone.

Set up the first for Kane and then scored at 25+ yard freekick.

Davidson spoke about keeping Middleton another year, last month. Hopefully he gets another year on loan there and can finally find his feet. He has obvious ability but just needs to settle and get confidence.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Glenn Middleton came on and completely changed the game for St. Johnstone.

Set up the first for Kane and then scored at 25+ yard freekick.

Davidson spoke about keeping Middleton another year, last month. Hopefully he gets another year on loan there and can finally find his feet. He has obvious ability but just needs to settle and get confidence.

What's he got left on his Ibrox contract BB? He is about 22 now I would guess and really needs consistent first team football. Good vibe around St Johnstone at the moment so would be a positive move, even a permanent transfer.

Middleton wont make it at Rangers but will go onto having a decent Scot Prem career. 

Trouble is no Scottish club tends to have the money to buy young players and even if a sell on clause is inserted, Rangers know that 2 good years at St Johnstone isnt going to attract suitors with big pockets.

This makes it much more likely that be will be sold (for about 100k) to a lower league English team with a big sell on.

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

What's he got left on his Ibrox contract BB? He is about 22 now I would guess and really needs consistent first team football. Good vibe around St Johnstone at the moment so would be a positive move, even a permanent transfer.

He turned 21 a few months ago. He was 18 when he first broke through, so he seems a bit older.

Middleton is contracted to 2023. He got a new deal when he broke through, so I'd guess he is on a decent wage and it might be hard for St. Johnstone to buy him permanently atm, it's why I thought loan again. If St. Johnstone want him permanently and can afford his wage, I'd be happy to see him join permanently. If they win the Scottish cup and get the European money on offer, they might take a chance.

I like Middleton and I think there is a player there. He just needs to settle somewhere and play in his natural position.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

out of interest what ever happened to Matt Phillips i always thought did ok for us granted not a world beater but would have had him in previous squads ahead of McBurnie - has he decided not to play for us or just not in Clarkes thoughts 

7 hours ago, SteveHFC said:

If Nisbet isn't the squad then I would be questioning Clarke's decision making.  

Did Clarke not bring him in at the expense of Burke in the last squad? No reason to think he wouldn't keep him in now with him netting a few of late.