Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 107 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

For sure a big game and if he gets a run if games, he could get the spot that would have went to McLean. 

If he's good enough to start this match, he has to be picked for the euros. Its not even a debate anymore.

We've got a player being trusted to start again one of the best teams in the world. 

Very sorry for McLean. Always thinks he performs well in a Scotland shirt.

Gilmour has to come to the squad. While I would have taken him whatever the injury circumstances, Clarke doesn’t need to be worried about being disloyal to the players who got us there. There’s a space now. Trusted in important games for Chelsea twice in the last week. A massive talent and we should be bringing him to the fold immediately. 

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If he's good enough to start this match, he has to be picked for the euros. Its not even a debate anymore.

We've got a player being trusted to start again one of the best teams in the world. 

Chelsea are rotating their squad that's why he starts today but if he gets a few more games AND plays well, better than he did a few days ago then I reckon he will get called up. Turnbull and Gauld have better claims for a spot, though I do understand they are different players. 

Just now, romanticscot said:

Chelsea are rotating their squad that's why he starts today but if he gets a few more games AND plays well, better than he did a few days ago then I reckon he will get called up. Turnbull and Gauld have better claims for a spot, though I do understand they are different players. 

Turnbull doesn't have a better claim at all. Would turnbull or Gauld be trusted at such a high level, I doubt it.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Turnbull doesn't have a better claim at all. Would turnbull or Gauld be trusted at such a high level, I doubt it.

How many games has Turnbull played all season? That's why he has a better claim for me. Chelsea are not do or die today, they want to win but have to rotate their midfielders which is great for Gilmour as he is getting games at the right time, hopefully he plays well. 

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

How many games has Turnbull played all season? That's why he has a better claim for me. Chelsea are not do or die today, they want to win but have to rotate their midfielders which is great for Gilmour as he is getting games at the right time, hopefully he plays well. 

I just had a look at the EPL table because I don't watch a lot of it. Chelsea haven't secured CL football yet so I disagree, this is a big game. 

Turnbull has played a lot but playing a lot doesn't overshadow talent and playing at a higher level. It's about time scotland took the gambles on players like gilmour.

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Regarding Turnbull, I think his career will have a similar trajectory to Tierney's. Another season tearing it up in Scottish football, then a big team will come in for him. Then we'll be wondering why he wasn't in the Scotland squad sooner.

Gilmour has the potential to be the best of the lot, but I think we have at least 6 or 7 players that could go on to great things.

Just now, Tartan blood said:

Regarding Turnbull, I think his career will have a similar trajectory to Tierney's. Another season tearing it up in Scottish football, then a big team will come in for him. Then we'll be wondering why he wasn't in the Scotland squad sooner.

Gilmour has the potential to be the best of the lot, but I think we have at least 6 or 7 players that could go on to great things.

I think Turnbull will be a good player, but he wouldn’t get a game for Chelsea at the moment. He’s failed to turn up in any of the Old Firm games and for me he is behind Gilmour. 

It’s a huge game and great Gilmour is starting - thats back to back EPL starts for him. 

Gilmour, Patterson, Gauld & Turnbull will all surely get in the squad Clarke picks before he trims it down & they all also should then get in the 26! 

22 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Turnbull will be a good player, but he wouldn’t get a game for Chelsea at the moment. He’s failed to turn up in any of the Old Firm games and for me he is behind Gilmour. 

I'm not saying he would. We also probably would have said the same thing about Tierney in his breakout season at Celtic, or Robertson at Dundee Utd. It's impossible to know. If Celtic had even a half decent, on-form, striker this year, Turnbull would have had double the assists. 

Turnbull played very well in the 2nd last old firm game, and his set piece delivery is always top class. In almost all games he's played, it's his teammates that have let him down.

47 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Very sorry for McLean. Always thinks he performs well in a Scotland shirt.

Gilmour has to come to the squad. While I would have taken him whatever the injury circumstances, Clarke doesn’t need to be worried about being disloyal to the players who got us there. There’s a space now. Trusted in important games for Chelsea twice in the last week. A massive talent and we should be bringing him to the fold immediately. 

Hes only in because mount is injured 

6 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Sure he’s a couple of years behind Mount in his development trajectory but we’re not comparing Gilmour to Mount anyway. Unless UEFA have changed the rules and Mount has switched allegiance?

Just saying.  No offence meant 

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not saying he would. We also probably would have said the same thing about Tierney in his breakout season at Celtic, or Robertson at Dundee Utd. It's impossible to know. If Celtic had even a half decent, on-form, striker this year, Turnbull would have had double the assists. 

Turnbull played very well in the 2nd last old firm game, and his set piece delivery is always top class. In almost all games he's played, it's his teammates that have let him down.

I’m not knocking him. He plays with a kind of freedom on the ball that is refreshing to see and has that look of a class player when he’s on it. He’s certainly not like for like with Gilmour.

You do need to be a very good player to get on the park for Chelsea at the moment and I think one of our priorities is to have a player that sits in front of the defence, which seems to be his role at the moment. 

45 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I will be very surprised if he ends up at a top 6-8 side in England. Turnbull has absolutely wonderful technique and good vision but he has no pace and little athleticism. These are key in the modern game down in England and will stop Turnbull from reaching that kind of level.

This doesn't mean he won't/is be a good footballer and that he should be going to the EURO's (which he should be). I just doubt he will reach the top end down in England due to his pace and athleticism.

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I will be very surprised if he ends up at a top 6-8 side in England. Turnbull has absolutely wonderful technique and good vision but he has no pace and little athleticism. These are key in the modern game down in England and will stop Turnbull from reaching that kind of level.

This doesn't mean he won't/is be a good footballer and that he should be going to the EURO's (which he should be). I just doubt he will reach the top end down in England due to his pace and athleticism.

I don’t agree with that. Central midfielders rarely have pace and Turnbull isn’t chronically slow. He’s quite a big lad and gets about fine. He is a bit lazy going backwards and that will need to change.