Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 106 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't get the Christie situation stats wise he is the best player in the Celtic team including games against AC Millan, Lille and Sparta Prague( unlike Duffy's collection against Hamilton, St Mirren and Kilmarnock) yet he's not near starting every game.

Cant say I watch Celtic week in week out, but what I have seen of him for Scotland over the last couple of years suggests he is one of the players we have who is capable of playing international football. Not saying he should start as it is the one position other than left back we have quality competition for.

All the signs point to a player that would sooner be elsewhere.

the guy cant start every single game. players get rotated especially celtic and rangers players due to the volume of games they play. looking at celtics line ups from the last 6/7 games hes started nearly all of them. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

depends what you regard as a poor season. he was playing for a relegation battler and hes not a messi/robben or a world class winger. As i said he was a steady performer for bournemouth overall, if you were expecting 10/15 assists every season and 10 goals then you are setting unrealistic expectations. the guy is one of the few wingers we have had over the past 15 years who can genuinely cut it in a top league. hes been quite good recently for scotland but to suggest hes been poor at club level is strange. Fair enough this season hes been stop start but before that he had been doing reasonably well in what is a tough league for several seasons. 

Best part of two years since he has shown any club level decent form, but as long as he continuous to perform for us fine.

34 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Best part of two years since he has shown any club level decent form, but as long as he continuous to perform for us fine.

yeh that doesnt mean hes been pish at club level if you consider his career as a whole which is what i was responding to initially anyways. he has been quite average/poor the last couple of seasons but he is playing at a high standard and most wingers at relegation battlers struggle to get high numbers of assists and goals. hes been impressive for scotland recently but some of the international teams are quite a poor standard compared to epl teams. its pretty easy to look good against the likes of israel and the faroe islands.

Guest ElChris04
16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I would go one step further. The games where he played "well" in were generally when he was alongside Brown or Jack, who were doing the work of 2 men. I can't remember which game it was, but I looked up McGregor and Jack's stats in the same game, and Jack was literally double in every department. Not just defensively, but offensively as well. Granted, that's just one game, but I've been watching and saying for years that Scott Brown has been wearing a McGregor shaped backpack. Now that Brown is ageing, it's no coincidence that McGregor's "form" has also dipped.

You could (rightly) argue that McGregor should be played as an attacker. But if he was seen as an attacking player, he'd probably have about 15 players ahead of him. If he leaves Celtic he'll be found out very quickly.

That’s a very good view point. the parallels between Jack’s role for Scotland and Brown’s at Celtic that lets McGregor free to roam the midfield are very similar. With brown these days in huge decline he’s been found out big time this season not having the defensive midfielder doing all that dirty work. 

His attacking ability just hasn’t been anywhere near it for years either watching him week in and out, he makes little effort to truly light up and impact a game. Gauld and Turnbull are miles ahead and they can’t even get into the team so I agree with that settlement too. 

All in all, the 2 biggest red flags are McGregor and O’Donnell and it’s the frighting possibility both could very well be in our startling line up for the euros. 

Edited by ElChris04

2 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

That’s a very good view point. the parallels between Jack’s role for Scotland and Brown’s at Celtic that lets McGregor free to roam the midfield are very similar. With brown these days in huge decline he’s been found out big time this season not having the defensive midfielder doing all that dirty work. 

His attacking ability just hasn’t been anywhere near it for years either watching him week in and out, he makes little effort to truly light up and impact a game. Gauld and Turnbull are miles ahead and they can’t even get into the team so I agree with that settlement too. 

All in all, the 2 biggest red flags are McGregor and O’Donnell and it’s the frighting possibility both could very well be in our startling line up for the euros. 

Even back when he was on form, it was part of an invincible Celtic team that dominated every game. He had very little pressure on him to do the defensive side of the game required of every Central Midfielder. Although he did score/assist occasionally, he was never better than Armstrong, Forrest, Roberts, Sinclair et al.

His most impressive stat is that he plays 50-60 games a year. Which is completely meaningless. In fact, you could even say that is a negative. If he got dropped for 10 games in a row, it might motivate him to be better. The lack of effort off the ball, and lack of ingenuity on the ball are what frustrate me most. He is capable of both, but too often he either hides or plays it safe.

At least with O'Donnell he has heart. He puts in a hell of a shift and has even got involved in assisting goals for Scotland. On Scotland form, he deserves to be there. McGregor doesn't.

SFWA Young Player of the Year nominees

Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen)

Josh Doig (Hibs)

David Turnbull (Celtic)

Nathan Patterson (Rangers)

I think Turnbull will win it, but for me it should probably be Doig. Doig has been consistently playing at a high level of performance all season at just 18, for the third best team in the country. 

Even as a big Rangers fans, I have no idea how Patterson has even been nominated. He has played less than 10 league games this season.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

SFWA Young Player of the Year nominees

Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen)

Josh Doig (Hibs)

David Turnbull (Celtic)

Nathan Patterson (Rangers)

I think Turnbull will win it, but for me it should probably be Doig. Doig has been consistently playing at a high level of performance all season at just 18, for the third best team in the country. 

Even as a big Rangers fans, I have no idea how Patterson has even been nominated. He has played less than 10 league games this season.

i think doig or turnbull would be my choices. 

Guest ElChris04
3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Even back when he was on form, it was part of an invincible Celtic team that dominated every game. He had very little pressure on him to do the defensive side of the game required of every Central Midfielder. Although he did score/assist occasionally, he was never better than Armstrong, Forrest, Roberts, Sinclair et al.

His most impressive stat is that he plays 50-60 games a year. Which is completely meaningless. In fact, you could even say that is a negative. If he got dropped for 10 games in a row, it might motivate him to be better. The lack of effort off the ball, and lack of ingenuity on the ball are what frustrate me most. He is capable of both, but too often he either hides or plays it safe.

At least with O'Donnell he has heart. He puts in a hell of a shift and has even got involved in assisting goals for Scotland. On Scotland form, he deserves to be there. McGregor doesn't.

I’ve never understood the fanfare with players who play 50-60 games a season either. If anything it’s the polar opposite to celebrate about. McGregor’s done that for multiple seasons now which is only going to have an effect on how he plays and another factor in his overall decline the last few years with not trying anything remotely positive and instead playing it safe with sideways and back passes and offering nothing but the bare minimum. 

I can’t dispute O’Donnell’s effort for Scotland, it’s 100% every time he plays and it’s his biggest compliment, but I’d feel far more comfortable seeing Patterson or Rooney giving a chance going off club form. For loyalty and trust reasons though do I expect either to start? Probably not, but it is a more understanding case compared to McGregor, I agree. 

Edited by ElChris04

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

I’ve never understood the fanfare with players who play 50-60 games a season either. If anything it’s the polar opposite to celebrate about. McGregor’s done that for multiple seasons now which is only going to have an effect on how he plays and another factor in his overall decline the last few years with not trying anything remotely positive and instead playing it safe with sideways and back passes and offering nothing but the bare minimum. 

I can’t dispute O’Donnell’s effort for Scotland, it’s 100% every time he plays and it’s his biggest compliment, but I’d feel far more comfortable seeing Patterson or Rooney giving a chance going off club form. For loyalty and trust reasons though do I expect either to start? Probably not, but it is a more understanding case compared to McGregor, I agree. 

No matter who you are, you're either going to burn out, or pick up injuries playing that many games if you are playing with high intensity. Which he should be. The fact that hasn't happened to McGregor is a pretty clear reflection of the lack of effort he generally puts in. He shies away from tackles and rarely sprints. Maybe he is subconsciously doing this to avoid fatigue/injury. If so, he needs managed better. 

Patterson looks like the most likely long term replacement for O'Donnell, but he has barely played quarter of a season. And, knowing Clarke, there is no way he'll pick him. Otherwise Gilmour would have already had a call up as well.

Marshall left on the bench for the massive relegation decider against Sheff Wed. A quick look at the Derby forum & they don't rate the chosen keeper at all, most would prefer Marshall was recalled. Though one fan does say Marshall has been dreadful since returning from injury in January. 

4 Scots start for SW, Palmer, Paterson, Bannan & Rhodes. 

If Marshall was starting i would have been rooting for them for the sake of his confidence now i guess it doesn't matter.. 

I'm rooting for Wednesday, got my 93 jersey on and up at 6am to watch the game. Barry Bannan is extremely composed anytime I've watched him, his time has gone but can't help but feel we under utilized him. 

Edited by romanticscot

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I'm rooting for Wednesday, got my 93 jersey on and up at 6am to watch the game. Barry Bannan is extremely composed anytime I've watched him, his time has gone but can't help but feel we under utilized him. 

i have always liked bannan, he should of been playing epl football for most of his career. 

It wasn't to be, but once I saw the Cardiff goal I believed the Wednesday goal would come. Rhodes, Paterson and Palmer are likely on the market now. Bannan will stay, he signed a new contract a few months ago. Ben Wiles might be on the move also.