Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 105 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

Just now, syecosse said:

Cannot say that I have ever been impressed with Turnbull in the Old firm games, but then again same could be said of the rest of the celtic players at the moment. 

The Celtic guaranteed a start core of the side is a concern as the form is not there .

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Marshall on bench for Derby again.

Think Steve Clarke should pick up the phone and say " Hi Alan, how would you like to end your international career on a high?  Could round off a great season for you."

No idea why Marshall was benched but they Derby only have two games left and still in danger of relegation.

Meanwhile McGregor makes yet another world class save. 

You’d hope Clarke has or is intending to ask McGregor atleast. 

21 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Cannot say that I have ever been impressed with Turnbull in the Old firm games, but then again same could be said of the rest of the celtic players at the moment. 

As i said, Clarke was at the game. Turnbull won’t have done enough to turn his head. For me it would be 3 or 4 from Gauld, Gilmour, Forrest and Patterson. Turnbull will still have a great Scotland career though. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

As i said, Clarke was at the game. Turnbull won’t have done enough to turn his head. For me it would be 3 or 4 from Gauld, Gilmour, Forrest and Patterson. Turnbull will still have a great Scotland career though. 

I agree with you. 

I do think Gilmours inclusion would be harsh on Turnbull, however, if it was a choice between the two for the Euros id pick Gilmour. 

Turnbull hasnt done anything of note in any of the Old Firm games this season. 

He has played well in other games though. 

Personally I wouldnt have him in the Euro squad. If its a straight choice between him and Gauld for attacking mid then id opt for Gauld.

5 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Turnbull hasnt done anything of note in any of the Old Firm games this season. 

He has played well in other games though. 

Personally I wouldnt have him in the Euro squad. If its a straight choice between him and Gauld for attacking mid then id opt for Gauld.

Agreed. 

Id like to see Gauld, Patterson, Gilmour & Turnbull though if possible but 3 of those 4 would still be great. 

7 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Is Ryan fraser still injured or just nit in Steve Bruce plans

Pish and made of glass

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Meanwhile McGregor makes yet another world class save. 

You’d hope Clarke has or is intending to ask McGregor atleast. 

Nope wont happen and shouldnt

3 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

So season is probably over for him

He will probably be back for the Fulham match (last match of the season) and maybe the Sheffield United match.

He'll definitely be fit for Euro 2020 though, unless there's some complication down to the operation or a flare up.

My guess is that he'll play the majority of the Holland and Luxembourg friendlies.

Guest ElChris04

McGregor yet again was absolutely abysmal for Celtic, the red card summed his season to a tea. He offers absolutely nothing but side and back passes but still somehow dodges criticism. 

His best games in a Scotland shirt where in his partnership with Ryan Jack, now he’s injured I genuinely don’t see the point in taking him. Of course I expect Clarke to with loyalty to the core of players who helped get us there, I get that but still the point I’m trying to make is it is concerning he’s a potential starter giving just how bad he’s been at club level for so long now. 

48 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

McGregor yet again was absolutely abysmal for Celtic, the red card summed his season to a tea. He offers absolutely nothing but side and back passes but still somehow dodges criticism. 

His best games in a Scotland shirt where in his partnership with Ryan Jack, now he’s injured I genuinely don’t see the point in taking him. Of course I expect Clarke to with loyalty to the core of players who helped get us there, I get that but still the point I’m trying to make is it is concerning he’s a potential starter giving just how bad he’s been at club level for so long now. 

That’s pretty accurate.

The Celtic players guaranteed a start days are long gone.

If McTominay plays in midfield then surely McGregor is the player to make way so we can fit everyone else in who should be playing. 

30 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

That’s pretty accurate.

If McTominay plays in midfield then surely McGregor is the player to make way so we can fit everyone else in who should be playing. 

yeah, I don’t think there will be any Celtic players in the starting line up.  Mcgregor might get a game with Ryan jack being injured but I would pick Kenny McLean ahead of him just now.  Christie can’t even get a game for Celtic.  

depends where Mcginn plays. Personally I wouldn’t pick any players from the spl aside from maybe O’Donnell.  Oh, and I would play Gordon ahead of Marshall.

Guest ElChris04
52 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

That’s pretty accurate.

Yeah I agree and would hope so. I’ve been echoing same thing going all the way back to last season with McGregor and took my own share criticism from fellow Celtic supporters it’s just odd how he dodges criticism at club level at least. He just isn’t the same player he was under Brendan Rodgers and hasn’t been for years, it’s the brutal reality of it.

He and O’Donnell are the 2 biggest concerns for Scotland, neither should be near the team on current form, I appreciate their performances in the game against Serbia but we need to look forward when there’s other players so far ahead in form of both. 

Edited by ElChris04

6 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Spot on, I've never been a huge fan but he just seems miles off this season, not interested and has ruined celtic in 3 OF games now

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

yeah, I don’t think there will be any Celtic players in the starting line up.  Mcgregor might get a game with Ryan jack being injured but I would pick Kenny McLean ahead of him just now.  Christie can’t even get a game for Celtic.  

depends where Mcginn plays. Personally I wouldn’t pick any players from the spl aside from maybe O’Donnell.  Oh, and I would play Gordon ahead of Marshall.

The Scottish Championship ends soon so Gordon will have some downtime, hopefully not to his detriment. 

15 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He is a player who looks good in internationals for us but pish at club level .

Can see him being on the move again in the summer .

are you talking about fraser. the guy has been a steady performer in the epl for years barring this season which has been stop start.

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

christie cant get a game for celtic? hes played 43 times this season, fair enough hes been average compared to previous seasons but hes probably still a starter for us. 

I think mcginn has to play the advanced midfield role for us as he is an excellent goal threat in that postion for us and we usually lack goalscorers anyways.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

are you talking about fraser. the guy has been a steady performer in the epl for years barring this season which has been stop start.

Fraser was poor last season as well although that might have been an attitude problem more than anything else. Apart from that he had one brilliant season and a couple of pretty average ones in the EPL on both occasions he wasn't a regular starter(I admit I don't know his fitness during those seasons)

Pretty hit and miss at club level but far better for Scotland.............since he started turning up.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

christie cant get a game for celtic? hes played 43 times this season, fair enough hes been average compared to previous seasons but hes probably still a starter for us. 

I think mcginn has to play the advanced midfield role for us as he is an excellent goal threat in that postion for us and we usually lack goalscorers anyways.

I don't get the Christie situation stats wise he is the best player in the Celtic team including games against AC Millan, Lille and Sparta Prague( unlike Duffy's collection against Hamilton, St Mirren and Kilmarnock) yet he's not near starting every game.

Cant say I watch Celtic week in week out, but what I have seen of him for Scotland over the last couple of years suggests he is one of the players we have who is capable of playing international football. Not saying he should start as it is the one position other than left back we have quality competition for.

All the signs point to a player that would sooner be elsewhere.

9 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

I would go one step further. The games where he played "well" in were generally when he was alongside Brown or Jack, who were doing the work of 2 men. I can't remember which game it was, but I looked up McGregor and Jack's stats in the same game, and Jack was literally double in every department. Not just defensively, but offensively as well. Granted, that's just one game, but I've been watching and saying for years that Scott Brown has been wearing a McGregor shaped backpack. Now that Brown is ageing, it's no coincidence that McGregor's "form" has also dipped.

You could (rightly) argue that McGregor should be played as an attacker. But if he was seen as an attacking player, he'd probably have about 15 players ahead of him. If he leaves Celtic he'll be found out very quickly.

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Fraser was poor last season as well although that might have been an attitude problem more than anything else. Apart from that he had one brilliant season and a couple of pretty average ones in the EPL on both occasions he wasn't a regular starter(I admit I don't know his fitness during those seasons)

Pretty hit and miss at club level but far better for Scotland.............since he started turning up.

depends what you regard as a poor season. he was playing for a relegation battler and hes not a messi/robben or a world class winger. As i said he was a steady performer for bournemouth overall, if you were expecting 10/15 assists every season and 10 goals then you are setting unrealistic expectations. the guy is one of the few wingers we have had over the past 15 years who can genuinely cut it in a top league. hes been quite good recently for scotland but to suggest hes been poor at club level is strange. Fair enough this season hes been stop start but before that he had been doing reasonably well in what is a tough league for several seasons.