Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 101 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its likely that he will. This summer would have been the ideal time to sell Tavenier. His stock will never be higher and Patterson is his replacement.

Thats the model of a good well run club though.

After watching some of Patterson yesterday I'd be quite annoyed if Clarke never called him up. RB/RWB is an area we need to improve and Patterson has earned the right.

25 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

After watching some of Patterson yesterday I'd be quite annoyed if Clarke never called him up. RB/RWB is an area we need to improve and Patterson has earned the right.

Id call him up as backup. At worst he is a similar standard to Palmer but has potential to grow into the best rb we have.

My only concern with calling him up is that I cant see him getting much game time once Tav returns. You could then have a situation when you either need to keep him in the squad despite not playing for his club or drop him which may do him some harm.

Once a young player breaks through he needs to keep playing. Theres no point him playing 2nd fiddle to Tav next season.

From a business sence Rangers could sell Tav for 8 - 10 million at the end of the year. Clubs like Newcastle etc wouldnt think twice about splashing that amount for a defender with his numbers. Even if its 5 million with 5 million more based on appearences, assists, goals etc

Patterson then comes in, theres no drop in 1st team quality and in a cpl of years Patterson might be worth the same.

The way Rangers will do it is keep hold of Tav until he has very little resale value and Pattersons window of learning is lost.

44 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Id call him up as backup. At worst he is a similar standard to Palmer but has potential to grow into the best rb we have.

My only concern with calling him up is that I cant see him getting much game time once Tav returns. You could then have a situation when you either need to keep him in the squad despite not playing for his club or drop him which may do him some harm.

Once a young player breaks through he needs to keep playing. Theres no point him playing 2nd fiddle to Tav next season.

From a business sence Rangers could sell Tav for 8 - 10 million at the end of the year. Clubs like Newcastle etc wouldnt think twice about splashing that amount for a defender with his numbers. Even if its 5 million with 5 million more based on appearences, assists, goals etc

Patterson then comes in, theres no drop in 1st team quality and in a cpl of years Patterson might be worth the same.

The way Rangers will do it is keep hold of Tav until he has very little resale value and Pattersons window of learning is lost.

From a business point of view, they should sell Tavernier and reinvest in the squad. It's not often you have a ready made replacement of Patterson's ability to call on.

I'm converted. I was one of the ones that thought a call up was premature, but he was one of the best players on the park against a team of internationals yesterday. I'm not saying he should start, but Palmer is in a team at the bottom of the championship and unlikely to play ahead of O'Donnell anyway.

10 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

From a business point of view, they should sell Tavernier and reinvest in the squad. It's not often you have a ready made replacement of Patterson's ability to call on.

I'm converted. I was one of the ones that thought a call up was premature, but he was one of the best players on the park against a team of internationals yesterday. I'm not saying he should start, but Palmer is in a team at the bottom of the championship and unlikely to play ahead of O'Donnell anyway.

Was Patterson that good?

I didn't watch it. I was watching the Manchester United match.

Talking of, it's crazy how opinions can differ, isn't it? Some United fans were calling it his worst performance in a United shirt... I thought that it was one of his best. lol

7 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Was Patterson that good?

I didn't watch it. I was watching the Manchester United match.

Talking of, it's crazy how opinions can differ, isn't it? Some United fans were calling it his worst performance in a United shirt... I thought that it was one of his best. lol

First half especially, yes. Quite Allan Hutton-esque. Not afraid to put in hard tackles and impressive marauding runs. Only 19! I mainly watched the game to have a look at him. He was part of the reason Uruguayan International, Laxalt, was subbed at half time.

Turnbull's crossing/passing is honestly elite level. Put him in any top team and he'll end up with 15+ assists a season. He's that good.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

First half especially, yes. Quite Allan Hutton-esque. Not afraid to put in hard tackles and impressive marauding runs. Only 19! I mainly watched the game to have a look at him. He was part of the reason Uruguayan International, Laxalt, was subbed at half time.

Turnbull's crossing/passing is honestly elite level. Put him in any top team and he'll end up with 15+ assists a season. He's that good.

Oh really?

In that case, I hope both are included in the Euro squad. 

My only concern is that Patterson won't play many league matches next season. I sence another Gilmour situation.

Hopefully Celtic appoint a top manager, in that case. Someone who can improve Turnbull. Saying that, they'll probably bring in Jim Leishman.. 

20 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Oh really?

In that case, I hope both are included in the Euro squad. 

My only concern is that Patterson won't play many league matches next season. I sence another Gilmour situation.

Hopefully Celtic appoint a top manager, in that case. Someone who can improve Turnbull. Saying that, they'll probably bring in Jim Leishman.. 

After seeing the last squad list, I am not going to hold my breath on seeing new call-ups. Which I partially understand, but the 2 of them should absolutely be in the WC qualifier squads this year at yhe very least. Fingers crossed Rangers sell Tavernier in the summer.

I hope Clarke isn’t going to be stubborn about calling up players everyone is shouting about, in a Levein-esque ‘I know better than you’ sort of way.

Patterson should definitely be in for the Euros ahead of Palmer who may well be in league 1 next season. It’s difficult for Clarke to drop Palmer now after he’s been in all the recent squads.

3 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

I hope Clarke isn’t going to be stubborn about calling up players everyone is shouting about, in a Levein-esque ‘I know better than you’ sort of way.

Patterson should definitely be in for the Euros ahead of Palmer who may well be in league 1 next season. It’s difficult for Clarke to drop Palmer now after he’s been in all the recent squads.

I don’t think the Euros will happen. Lawyers will block it for some reason connected with the Super League. 

50 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Aye and Tuchel is now opting for Mount in central midfield with Jorginho. So that makes him what fifth choice midfielder now?

That is shocking from Tuchel. He claimed Gilmour was 4th choice Midfielder but clearly not. Gilmour needs to get some balls and be banging his door in the morning, I'm pissed off at such blatant bullshit from Tuchel god knows how Gilmour must feel

23 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

That is shocking from Tuchel. He claimed Gilmour was 4th choice Midfielder but clearly not. Gilmour needs to get some balls and be banging his door in the morning, I'm pissed off at such blatant bullshit from Tuchel god knows how Gilmour must feel

I feel like he could demand a transfer in the summer.

Told not to go out on loan and then barely makes a match day squad. Tuchel putting 2 keepers on the bench than having him on the bench in champions League games. 

I'd feel completely slapped in the face and disrespected.

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Tuchel has done a brilliant job at Chelsea.  It’s not his worry if gilmour is ready for Scotland games. He’s not good enough for Chelsea at the moment.

You can separate some of that though. Yes Tuchel has done a brilliant job at Chelsea on the whole, but that does not mean he has been perfect, he isn't exempt from criticism as this situation proves he hasn't got everything right. He is a manager, and he hasn't managed this situation brilliantly Whether this was Gilmour or anyone else in the squad it is clear as day that situation has not been managed well. And I completely disagree that he is not good enough for Chelsea as he has already proved he can play in that team every single time he has been given a chance in the past, the problem right now is he is not being given that chance by Tuchel.

ETA Chelsea played out a drab draw and probably should have been beaten last night and Gilmour was still left kicking his heels on the bench. He just needs a chance

Edited by bazmidd

On 4/19/2021 at 2:42 PM, Tartan blood said:

Patterson has a greater transfer value than Tavernier.