Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 98 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

And you accuse people of being the weirdo grammar nazi Doeadeer?

Irony is delicious.

Anywho. Enough bs.

Palmer, Dykes and Fulton all started on Tuesday.  Two of the latter scored.

I was making a joke, obviously. 

Didn't know dohadeer was a grammar Nazi.

I hope to meet him/you for a pint again sometime :beer2:

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

We would have beaten them.

Israels own version of 3-5-2 nullified our best attacking weapons (they pinned back our fullbacks).

By moving to a 4, the Tierney/Robertson overlapping double-act, and 2 proper wide midfielders were able to find more space.

TDK/Chripper/dohadeer, you should accept that we need to be flexible with our formation, depending on who we're playing.

I agree we probably would’ve won the game but you never know with Scotland. We’ve tried 3 at the back so many times against Israel it’s puzzling why Clarke can’t see it doesn’t work against them. 

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Missed the part where he called you TDK/Chripper/dohadeer and you just target me?

Shocker.

Pff, that part of my post was obviously directed at you Taylor, not Texas Pete.

15 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Even in Scotland’s heyday did we have youth players in numbers coming through at those clubs?

I dont think(might be wrong) those clubs had the youth systems they have today back in the 60s,70s,80s assuming that was our heyday. It is a fair question though. I also think those elite clubs didnt have the huge finances to hoover up young talent like they do today. Most of the scottish greats from that era started out at small clubs and then got big moves. Rangers and celtic could probably be counted as elite clubs in the 60s and 70s. Rangers might of been an elite club for a brief spell in the 90s. They were probably a top 20/25 european team during the 90s.

Edited by mccaughey85

18 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

That Tuchel has a nerve telling Steve Clarke to pick Gilmour for the Euros when he doesn't even put him on the bench for his team. Scotland is not a proving ground for Chelsea FC.

If it was still possible to "like" posts I'd be liking this one!

Chelsea, as a club, have a poor record of developing young players for their first team. Under Lampard it looked like that might change, but Tuchel appears to have reverted to type.

Depending on what happens in the summer, Gilmour might have to look elsewhere to progress his career. I feel sorry for him; Tuchel has effectively stymied his chances of playing in major tournament. Given that Gilmour is Scottish, it's a distinct possibility that he might never get another chance to play in one.

13 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Missed the part where he called you TDK/Chripper/dohadeer and you just target me?

Shocker.

He was calling you those names and I don’t care what he calls you. He wasn’t being a hypocrite and calling out hypocrisy is one of my hobbies. 

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I dont think(might be wrong) those clubs had the youth systems they have today back in the 60s,70s,80s assuming that was our heyday. It is a fair question though. I also think those elite clubs didnt have the huge finances to hoover up young talent like they do today. Most of the scottish greats from that era started out at small clubs and then got big moves. Rangers and celtic could probably be counted as elite clubs in the 60s and 70s. Rangers might of been an elite club for a brief spell in the 90s. They were probably a top 20/25 european team during the 90s.

Thats true, early 90s Rangers were a very strong team.

Different times admittedly. I guess even then though few of Rangers good Scottish players came through their own youth system. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Thats true, early 90s Rangers were a very strong team.

Different times admittedly. I guess even then though few of Rangers good Scottish players came through their own youth system. 

yeh that 90s rangers team was excellent, they massively underperformed in europe apart from 93 when marseille cheated. i would of fancied those rangers 90s teams to finish in the top4/5 of any the top european league at that time.

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

yeh that 90s rangers team was excellent, they massively underperformed in europe apart from 93 when marseille cheated. i would of fancied those rangers 90s teams to finish in the top4/5 of any the top european league at that time.

Wasn't that partly due to the English teams being banned from playing in Europe, so Rangers managed to hoover up a lot of the talent? E.g Gazza, Butcher, Hately etc (I could be wrong on some of that)

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

If you'd given me a lot of money and a decent accountant in the 90's I would have created an excellent team.

16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Wasn't that partly due to the English teams being banned from playing in Europe, so Rangers managed to hoover up a lot of the talent? E.g Gazza, Butcher, Hately etc (I could be wrong on some of that)

i think the late 80s was when quite a few england internationals went to rangers. probably helped kickstart there 9iar dominance. imagine rangers being able to afford england internationals today. The scottish league has declined massively since the 80s and early 90s.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

i think the late 80s was when quite a few england internationals went to rangers. probably helped kickstart there 9iar dominance. imagine rangers being able to afford england internationals today. The scottish league has declined massively since the 80s and early 90s.

Oh for sure the SPL was higher stock then. Remember it was not long after Scottish success in Europe for Aberdeen and Dundee United having good runs in Europe. On top of that by the late 80s English clubs had been banned from Europe so Scottish clubs had that added attraction too.

4 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I'm sure in Europe at that time you could only play 3 non Scots in Europe. 

Imagine if that rule existed today! There would be so much more emphasis on youth development. Though Celtic and Rangers would inevitably pick all the other teams dry, even more than they do now. 

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I'm sure in Europe at that time you could only play 3 non Scots in Europe. 

yeh i remember man utd being hampered by that rule as they had heaps of guys like keane, kanchelskis, schmeichel etc who counted as foreign players and you were only allowed to play 3 foreign players. i can imagine rangers would of been fukked by that rule with all the english players they had.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

yeh i remember man utd being hampered by that rule as they had heaps of guys like keane, kanchelskis, schmeichel etc who counted as foreign players and you were only allowed to play 3 foreign players. i can imagine rangers would of been fukked by that rule with all the english players they had.

It was because of that rule Rangers sold Chris Woods & bought Goram. During the early to mid 90s they only really had Hateley, Mikhailichenko, Huistra & Steven who were non Scots regulars. 

If memory serves me, Chris Woods leaving Rangers had nothing to do with the 3 foreigner rule. He was world class for Rangers. If Walter Smith had a choice in keeping Woods, he would have.

Graham Taylor made it clear that Woods would only be a part of his England squad if he moved back to England. 

At that point, if memory, Rangers had: Kuznesov, Gary Stevens, Mark Hately, Pieter Huistra, Spackman, Mikhailichenko, Gordon. In that lot, Woods was as important as Mark Hately and Stevens.