Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 97 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah that back 3 is really getting us amazing results against Israel and Austria. 🙄

Yeah. Don't let the big picture get in the way, like, Euro 2020.

And lets forget losing to Kazakhstan 3-0 or losing 13 goals in 4 matches at the end of 2019.

Want numbers and facts? Enjoy:

(It's nice posting without being being emoji bombed. lol)

23 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. Don't let the big picture get in the way, like, Euro 2020.

And lets forget losing to Kazakhstan 3-0 or losing 13 goals in 4 matches at the end of 2019.

Want numbers and facts? Enjoy:

(It's nice posting without being being emoji bombed. lol)

Watching Scotland under Clarke would make your eyes bleed. Particularly when he plays our best midfielder in a back 3.

Whether or not a back 3 is out best formation remains debatable but I can say with a fair degree of confidence that we would likely have drawn with Israel and Austria with 4 at the back. In fact we looked much better in the second half against Israel with a back 4. We might even have beaten them if we had started with that formation but we’ll never know. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Watching Scotland under Clarke would make your eyes bleed. Particularly when he plays our best midfielder in a back 3.

Whether or not a back 3 is out best formation remains debatable but I can say with a fair degree of confidence that we would likely have drawn with Israel and Austria with 4 at the back. In fact we looked much better in the second half against Israel with a back 4. We might even have beaten them if we had started with that formation but we’ll never know. 

Fine. Then don't watch.

If, for some strange reason, you think Steve Clarke can make a collective of decent players, with two world class players, play scintillating football, then good luck to you.

No. There is no debate. I've wrote up the numbers. With a back 4 we have been historical underachievers.

We drew with a team with 19 Bundesliga players in their squad (Austria) with a three and we lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan with 4. And you THINK would've drawn with Austria withal back 4?

Anyway.

This Is a thread about Scotland players in action. If you want to make a thread about "What could've happened" then go for it.

Label it under "fiction" so that I can find it.

Edited by Taylor1996

27 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Fine. Then don't watch.

If, for some strange reason, you think Steve Clarke can make a collective of decent players, with two world class players, play scintillating football, then good luck to you.

No. There is no debate. I've wrote up the numbers. With a back 4 we have been historical underachievers.

We drew with a team with 19 Bundesliga players in their squad (Austria) with a three and we lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan with 4. And you THINK would've drawn with Austria withal back 4?

Anyway.

This Is a thread about Scotland players in action. If you want to make a thread about "What could've happened" then go for it.

Label it under "fiction" so that I can find it.

I forgot why I stopped coming on here but I remember now. 

6 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

4-6 weeks is the end of the season , can see arsenal playing hardball if we say he is fit, they will say he needs rested .

They aren't going to deny him the chance to play in a major competition. Arteta is smart enough to know the consequences of that. 

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

And no one is going to mention that Che Adams has been dropped by one of the most out of form teams in English football.. for the 2nd match in a row.

Can't wait to hear what people here have to say when Adams eventually drops into the Championship and Dykes gets bought by an EPL club.

We will all be delighted when that extremely unlikely epl move for Dykes happens. 

I actually enjoy & agree with some of your posts but quite frankly I'm peed off & bored with having to read your endless bitter & resentful comments about 2 of our players (Armstrong & Adams) 

Its also disrespectful that you seem to think your the only person on this board intelligent enough to think trying 3 at the back might work.. 

Move on man ffs😬😬

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

We will all be delighted when that extremely unlikely epl move for Dykes happens. 

I actually enjoy & agree with some of your posts but quite frankly I'm peed off & bored with having to read your endless bitter & resentful comments about 2 of our players (Armstrong & Adams) 

Its also disrespectful that you seem to think your the only person on this board intelligent enough to think trying 3 at the back might work.. 

Move on man ffs😬😬

I appreciate your forthright fullness. :)

I'm going to enjoy it whilst it lasts, as I'm sure the next manager after Clarke will be an advocate of our former failed system. ;)

Edited by Taylor1996

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

tierney broke through at 18 and was excellent for celtic. he played an integral part in celtics success and is probably now our best player. not sure why hes relevant to what were discussing.

When he was on the verge of breaking through were you as pessimistic about his chances as every other player? I don’t think I’ve ever read an optimistic comment from you on any subject - which is your right of course. 

19 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The obvious point that what you said about Patterson applies to Tierney too with how easy it is to look good in a league where there’s no challenge. I am guessing is what they meant. 

it was pretty clear tierney was a excellent talent and he was playing well in champs league games against the likes of man city. tbf i am positive about patterson and i believe hes capable of becoming rangers and scotlands permanent right back but i do feel he will need to be consistent with his performances and i reckon quite a few right backs would look good for rangers given how well they are playing these days.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

When he was on the verge of breaking through were you as pessimistic about his chances as every other player? I don’t think I’ve ever read an optimistic comment from you on any subject - which is your right of course. 

lol i might come across as negative but i think i am quite positive. i am positive about patterson but alot of the rangers lads on here were suggesting calling up patterson after a few appearances. I prefer to wait until a young player actually stands out for a while before calling them up and hyping them up to be a top player. i think once tierney had completed his first full season it was clear he was a special talent who was going to play for a better team than celtic. The jurys still out on wether patterson will make it at rangers let alone an elite european club. for example glenn middleton looked quite good in his appearances for rangers and now hes at st johnstone on loan so it can all change pretty quickly.

14 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

McGinn spent 2 years in his early 20s in the Scottish championship. Kind of negates the Scottish championship arguement.

Didn't Christie barely play any football for a couple of seasons after joining Celtic. 

Fraser after initially doing well at 18/19. Became a back up and then struggled in his early 20s in the top tier of English football. It wasn't until he was 23 that he started playing well and starting more.

I mean our best RB in recent history (Hutton) didn't properly breakthrough at Rangers until 22. He only made sub appearances over a few years and made very few starts. On statistics it looks like he's played a lot but he was mostly a late sub.

The only way you are starting or making multiple sustained appearances for Rangers/Celtic at 18/19 now, is if you are going to be something special.

Coaching matters more until 17/18 than playing first team football under a lesser coach with lesser facilities.

I include Rangers with that. Gilmour is a better player now than he would've been had he stayed at Rangers playing first team football with lesser coaching, lesser facilities and training with poorer players.

The fact still remains that mcginn was playing regulary at 17/18 in the top flight, it was by choice that he then dropped down a level and he also excelled at both levels anyway. christie didnt play for celtic for the first couple of seasons but he did excel for aberdeen on loan in the spl. ryan fraser spent his early years playing league 1 and championship football which is probably a step up from scottish championship. There is obviously exceptions like hutton as you said but at least hutton was making sub appearances and played a few games here and there. Outwith a couple of exceptions most of our best players were playing well at spl/english league1 when they 19/20. I am not totally suggesting that these rangers guys have no hope of making it because there are late developers both mentally and physically but if you are not excelling and standing out at scottish championship level then thats not a good sign.

Also the facts show that our best players for the most part have come from playing first team football at lower levels rather than going through elite clubs youth systems. we have very few players that have come through at elite clubs over the last 15 years. i can think of only 1 that has made it an elite club in the last 15 years and thats mctominay.

37 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The fact still remains that mcginn was playing regulary at 17/18 in the top flight, it was by choice that he then dropped down a level and he also excelled at both levels anyway. christie didnt play for celtic for the first couple of seasons but he did excel for aberdeen on loan in the spl. ryan fraser spent his early years playing league 1 and championship football which is probably a step up from scottish championship. There is obviously exceptions like hutton as you said but at least hutton was making sub appearances and played a few games here and there. Outwith a couple of exceptions most of our best players were playing well at spl/english league1 when they 19/20. I am not totally suggesting that these rangers guys have no hope of making it because there are late developers both mentally and physically but if you are not excelling and standing out at scottish championship level then thats not a good sign.

Also the facts show that our best players for the most part have come from playing first team football at lower levels rather than going through elite clubs youth systems. we have very few players that have come through at elite clubs over the last 15 years. i can think of only 1 that has made it an elite club in the last 15 years and thats mctominay.

What do you class as an elite club? 

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

man utd, arsenal, dortmund, milan, barca, chelsea etc. basically teams that have a history of reaching the latter stages of the champs league and europa league.

Even in Scotland’s heyday did we have youth players in numbers coming through at those clubs?

18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

That Tuchel has a nerve telling Steve Clarke to pick Gilmour for the Euros when he doesn't even put him on the bench for his team. Scotland is not a proving ground for Chelsea FC.

I agree it is frustrating but in fairness half that bench would be in contention for our starting line up

On 4/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, Texas Pete said:

We would have beaten them.

Israels own version of 3-5-2 nullified our best attacking weapons (they pinned back our fullbacks).

By moving to a 4, the Tierney/Robertson overlapping double-act, and 2 proper wide midfielders were able to find more space.

TDK/Chripper/dohadeer, you should accept that we need to be flexible with our formation, depending on who we're playing.

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

We would have beaten them.

Israels own version of 3-5-2 nullified our best attacking weapons (they pinned back our fullbacks).

By moving to a 4, the Tierney/Robertson overlapping double-act, and 2 proper wide midfielders were able to find more space.

TDK/Chripper/dohadeer, you should accept that we need to be flexible with our formation, depending on who we're playing.

Interesting interpretation on "Scottish players in action".

There are tons of threat about formations. 

Go forth.

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Interesting interpretation on "Scottish players in action".

There are tons of threat about formations. 

Go forth.

Ok, i know you're a 3 at the back zealot, but i didn't think you'd go that far. :hammer:

;)

9 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Ok, i know you're a 3 at the back zealot, but i didn't think you'd go that far. :hammer:

;)

And you accuse people of being the weirdo grammar nazi Doeadeer?

Irony is delicious.

Anywho. Enough bs.

Palmer, Dykes and Fulton all started on Tuesday.  Two of the latter scored.