Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 96 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

What was your view on Tierney when he broke through? 

tierney broke through at 18 and was excellent for celtic. he played an integral part in celtics success and is probably now our best player. not sure why hes relevant to what were discussing.

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

tierney broke through at 18 and was excellent for celtic. he played an integral part in celtics success and is probably now our best player. not sure why hes relevant to what were discussing.

The obvious point that what you said about Patterson applies to Tierney too with how easy it is to look good in a league where there’s no challenge. I am guessing is what they meant. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I’m going by the games Ive seen and how the players have played, not necessarily on stats. 

Assists are only assists if people score them, Kennedy creates a lot of chances he’s very much like Ryan Fraser. 

The group Rangers have just now are a very good group of young players. 

An example is Robby McCrorie - he let in 6 goals on Saturday so must’ve played pish? Nope, he made a lot of good saves & looks very accomplished with a good presence in goals. 

you can dress it up anyway you want, if these kids were any good they would producing more goals and assists at what is a really poor level of football. These guys mentioned all turn 20 at the start of next season and look nowhere near the rangers first team and are hardly excelling at scottish championship level. Take a look at most of our current first team players and when they broke through and at what level they were playing at a similar age. when armstrong was 19 he was playing every week for dundee united in the spl. mcginn was 17/18, christie was 18, fraser was 17, tierney was 18, forrest was 19. 

Fair enough there are some exceptions but overall its not a good sign that these guys arent standing out in the scottish championship. The robby mccrorie example isnt a good one as hes at least been playing spl football the last couple of seasons and most ppl are smart enough to know that celtic should be pummelling livi regardless of whos in net. 

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The obvious point that what you said about Patterson applies to Tierney too with how easy it is to look good in a league where there’s no challenge. I am guessing is what they meant. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

you can dress it up anyway you want, if these kids were any good they would producing more goals and assists at what is a really poor level of football. These guys mentioned all turn 20 at the start of next season and look nowhere near the rangers first team and are hardly excelling at scottish championship level. Take a look at most of our current first team players and when they broke through and at what level they were playing at a similar age. when armstrong was 19 he was playing every week for dundee united in the spl. mcginn was 17/18, christie was 18, fraser was 17, tierney was 18, forrest was 19. 

Fair enough there are some exceptions but overall its not a good sign that these guys arent standing out in the scottish championship. The robby mccrorie example isnt a good one as hes at least been playing spl football the last couple of seasons and most ppl are smart enough to know that celtic should be pummelling livi regardless of whos in net. 

Kennedy is 18 turning 19 not 19 turning 20. Rangers are using a progression system where they go to the championship on loan then go on loan to the SPL or English league 1/championship. These loanees will be in the SPL or League 1 next season.

Breaking into Rangers and Celtic is 10x harder than breaking into any other Scottish club. Any mistake you make is highlighted and criticized. You don't get the leeway you get to make mistakes at smaller clubs. 

Allan McGregor, Callum McGregor, McTominay, Gallagher, Hendry, Fleck, etc played very little first team football in their teens.

7 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Kennedy is 18 turning 19 not 19 turning 20. Rangers are using a progression system where they go to the championship on loan then go on loan to the SPL or English league 1/championship. These loanees will be in the SPL or League 1 next season.

Breaking into Rangers and Celtic is 10x harder than breaking into any other Scottish club. Any mistake you make is highlighted and criticized. You don't get the leeway you get to make mistakes at smaller clubs. 

Allan McGregor, Callum McGregor, McTominay, Gallagher, Hendry, Fleck, etc played very little first team football in their teens.

I think we can exclude goalies ( doubt if many world wide play top level in their teens}.

With the exception of Mctominay(who was trying to break into one of the biggest teams in Europe )I wouldn't say any of the players you mention are close to first choice for Scotland and a couple in my opinion aren't even very good.

Mccaughey85 mentioned  Mcginn, Christie  Fraser  Tierney  and  Forrest, I'm with Mccaughey on this one if you haven't got there by the time you are a teenager you are very unlikely to be that good.

I am not thinking all these Rangers youngsters are going to star for Scotland but they are undoubtedly a talented group and the best youngsters coming through at Rangers since the likes of Hutton, Adam & McGregor.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with them next season. I don’t know if anyone saw QOS v Hibs at the weekend, Maxwell was excellent and scored a great goal from left back. 

And no one is going to mention that Che Adams has been dropped by one of the most out of form teams in English football.. for the 2nd match in a row.

Can't wait to hear what people here have to say when Adams eventually drops into the Championship and Dykes gets bought by an EPL club.

Edited by Taylor1996

15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

And no one is going to mention that Che Adams has been dropped by one of the most out of form teams in English football.. for the 2nd match in a row.

Can't wait to hear what people here have to say when Adams eventually drops into the Championship and Dykes gets bought by an EPL club.

I don't get why as a Scotland fan you would seem to revel in this.... I for one would much rather they were both starring in the EPL

27 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

This happens all the time with strikers especially at clubs that are struggling.

I’m pretty sure Dykes was dropped for a couple of games not long ago and now he’s banging in the goals. I wouldn’t read too much into it at this stage. 

15 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

4-6 weeks is the end of the season , can see arsenal playing hardball if we say he is fit, they will say he needs rested .

Rested for what? Preseason? They’re not going to stop him going to a major tournament in June if he’s fit to play. 

19 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I don't get why as a Scotland fan you would seem to revel in this.... I for one would much rather they were both starring in the EPL

Che Adams is a Championship standard striker.

No one listened all these years ago when I said that we should play with a back three.

Guess people don't learn.

38 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Hes had a decent season and showed in the recent internationals he’s our best striker so a spell on the bench won’t matter too much. 

McBurnie regularly gets dropped by one of the worst teams in premier league history 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

This happens all the time with strikers especially at clubs that are struggling.

I’m pretty sure Dykes was dropped for a couple of games not long ago and now he’s banging in the goals. I wouldn’t read too much into it at this stage. 

Dykes offers way more than Che Adams.

Hell, I'd actually rather have Steven Naismith than Che Adams.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think we can exclude goalies ( doubt if many world wide play top level in their teens}.

With the exception of Mctominay(who was trying to break into one of the biggest teams in Europe )I wouldn't say any of the players you mention are close to first choice for Scotland and a couple in my opinion aren't even very good.

Mccaughey85 mentioned  Mcginn, Christie  Fraser  Tierney  and  Forrest, I'm with Mccaughey on this one if you haven't got there by the time you are a teenager you are very unlikely to be that good.

McGinn spent 2 years in his early 20s in the Scottish championship. Kind of negates the Scottish championship arguement.

Didn't Christie barely play any football for a couple of seasons after joining Celtic. 

Fraser after initially doing well at 18/19. Became a back up and then struggled in his early 20s in the top tier of English football. It wasn't until he was 23 that he started playing well and starting more.

I mean our best RB in recent history (Hutton) didn't properly breakthrough at Rangers until 22. He only made sub appearances over a few years and made very few starts. On statistics it looks like he's played a lot but he was mostly a late sub.

The only way you are starting or making multiple sustained appearances for Rangers/Celtic at 18/19 now, is if you are going to be something special.

Coaching matters more until 17/18 than playing first team football under a lesser coach with lesser facilities.

I include Rangers with that. Gilmour is a better player now than he would've been had he stayed at Rangers playing first team football with lesser coaching, lesser facilities and training with poorer players.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

No one listened all these years ago when I said that we should play with a back three.

Considering his goal return, he’s a premier league striker.

If Adams goals this season make him a championship striker - what level should McBurnie play at with his goal return? 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I am not thinking all these Rangers youngsters are going to star for Scotland but they are undoubtedly a talented group and the best youngsters coming through at Rangers since the likes of Hutton, Adam & McGregor.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with them next season. I don’t know if anyone saw QOS v Hibs at the weekend, Maxwell was excellent and scored a great goal from left back. 

I felt Maxwell had a decent game and got caught out a few times by Boyle but recovered well at times. The main issue was a player on the right constantly dropping deep 3/4 yards deeper and playing Boyle and Nesbitt on when the rest of the defence was trying to catch them offside. It really hurt Maxwell who already hard a difficult task against the best non of winger in the SPL. Maxwell's goal was fantastic and showed his wonderful technique.

He still has a way to go physically and defensively but hasn't long turned 19 and his technical ability is very good. For me he's behind Doig and Hickey but is highly rated by both Rangers and Scotland.

49 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'd say most will be happy for dykes and dissappointed for Adams but at least if dykes is in the epl we will have at least one EPL striker. 

I can't see what else would need to be said if that hypothetical situation happened.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah that back 3 is really getting us amazing results against Israel and Austria. 🙄

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

We did listen when you were talking about Liam Henderson and David Bates playing in two of Europe's top leagues, hell we even listened when you said Jack Harper would be playing in the Champions League with Getafe.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We did listen when you were talking about Liam Henderson and David Bates playing in two of Europe's top leagues, hell we even listened when you said Jack Harper would be playing in the Champions League with Getafe.

Henderson is 2nd in Serie B and is a cert to be in Serie A next season.

I said that Getafe would in the "Champions League"? Proof, please.

Doubt that was me. I've never said "Champions League" in my life. It's the "European Cup".