Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 92 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

Tierney's got a scan in the next couple of days by the sound of it with it being good news if he's out weeks rather than months.  Be a right boost if he's only out for a couple of months and back fresh for the Euros but fearing the worst to be honest.  

Fingers crossed that Tierney's injury isn't too serious, both with the Euros in mind and for the sake his long term career.  It'd be so galling to go into our first major tournament in decades without the services of one of the few genuinely top class players we've produced in that time.  It'd just be so typical of our luck to lose someone of his calibre, but we'll just have to wait and see.

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I don't need to be convinced about Gauld now but if we consider that our formation is 3-5-2 and our first choice middle 3 is McTom., Jack and McGinn, then I don't see who we leave out for him. Unless he plays as a 10 behind Dykes/Adams?

I think the consensus on here is that he should be in the squad, not necessarily as a starter. Same goes for Turnbull, Gilmour and Patterson. All well worth a squad place in the friendlies at least. 

I'd be extremely surprised if none of them became first team regulars though.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I don't need to be convinced about Gauld now but if we consider that our formation is 3-5-2 and our first choice middle 3 is McTom., Jack and McGinn, then I don't see who we leave out for him. Unless he plays as a 10 behind Dykes/Adams?

Number 10 behind Dykes or Adams is his position. He should essentially be vying with Ryan Christie or Ryan Fraser for that position. He is a number 10 all day long.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think the consensus on here is that he should be in the squad, not necessarily as a starter. Same goes for Turnbull, Gilmour and Patterson. All well worth a squad place in the friendlies at least. 

I'd be extremely surprised if none of them became first team regulars though.

I actually think, certainly in some games, that Gilmour, Patterson and Gauld or Turnbull should all be starters. The amount of creativity in those players there is something we are crying out for

On 4/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, ThistleWhistle said:

Tierney's got a scan in the next couple of days by the sound of it with it being good news if he's out weeks rather than months.  Be a right boost if he's only out for a couple of months and back fresh for the Euros but fearing the worst to be honest.  

Longer we wait for the results the more i fear the worst.. 

Losing Tierney would be devastating. It would be just our luck, having to play England again without such a key player.

Big Dunc injured before Euro 96, Lambert losing his teeth the week before the play off for Euro 2000.

Can't help thinking the results of this scan could determine our chances of creating history this summer.

33 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Losing Tierney would be devastating. It would be just our luck, having to play England again without such a key player.

Big Dunc injured before Euro 96, Lambert losing his teeth the week before the play off for Euro 2000.

Can't help thinking the results of this scan could determine our chances of creating history this summer.

Christ remember Lambert clear as day - was in our local in Stoke watching it on tele and turned to my mate just after it became obvious his teeth had flown everywhere that that was us now likely fucked for the playoffs.  

The reports yesterday seemed to be suggesting Arsenal’s fears are he’ll be out for weeks which is, fingers crossed, better than fearing months so could benefit us from a selfish perspective – like you say though the longer waiting on the scan then the more twitchy arse it gets. 

The system is set up to accommodate him and him bursting out from the back when Robertson is getting pinned back is one of the strengths of it.  Can’t see anyone being able to carry it out from the left of a three even remotely like him which’ll make it all the easier to shut Robertson down.  Wouldn’t  be surprised if, and hopefully ‘if’ is doing some heavy lifting at the moment, we went with a 5-4-1 to compensate.    

My other massive worry is Robertson is playing every game and must be on fumes – I wince every time he bursts into a sprint or goes into a tackle. 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:14 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Clear MoM on who scored despite being on losing side (only MBurnie does that)

5 attempts on goal 3 on target (i'll take your word he created most of these himself)

Created 4 chances

3 successful dribbles.

And Important to me and any team that isn't that great,(like us) 2 tackles and 4 interceptions.

Any one who follows stats will know that is a massive contribution for one player.

I do wonder why he didn't get a move in the January transfer window

I think it's been covered now but he was wanting to help them stay up if he could. Think they are gubbed but he has so much ability and will be a great asset especially in a strong team.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

We are there which is good enough, realistically we are getting put out straight away

44 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I think it's been covered now but he was wanting to help them stay up if he could. Think they are gubbed but he has so much ability and will be a great asset especially in a strong team.

We are there which is good enough, realistically we are getting put out straight away

That's the kind of fighting talk I like to hear.Makes you proud to be Scottish.

8 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

It’s about 9 weeks till the Czech game so 4-6 weeks will be cutting it fine but definitely better than the couple of months that was first feared 

It's as good as it could be and hopefully got a chance of making it to the Euros.  It could also protect him as the games will be coming thick and fast with 8 games by 23/5 still to play in the Premiership plus the Europa League.

Was convinced he was f@@ked when it happened but hopefully with a bit of luck, and Arsenal not being dicks about it, he should be fit with a few weeks to spare .

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

My concern would be arsenal pulling rank saying they don’t think he is fit enough for euros 

Can they do that? Is it not the case that the player has to report to Scotland and be assessed by the Scotland physios? I’d imagine Tierney will be desperate to play if at all possible. Don’t want to see Scotland being dictated to by clubs if there’s an actual tournament to play.

4 to 6 weeks is not as bad as I feared, especially if it’s 4 weeks, might be fresher than he would have been.

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Can they do that? Is it not the case that the player has to report to Scotland and be assessed by the Scotland physios? I’d imagine Tierney will be desperate to play if at all possible. Don’t want to see Scotland being dictated to by clubs if there’s an actual tournament to play.

4 to 6 weeks is not as bad as I feared, especially if it’s 4 weeks, might be fresher than he would have been.

I doubt they would stand in his way for a major tournement and give him every chance possible