Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 91 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

46 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, and the ones already in the squad are still all fairly young. The next 5-10 years could be something of a golden era, especially if we can find a top class keeper and striker.

I whispered the notion we were on the verge of a golden generation a few months back and pretty much got laughed at, so I've deliberately avoided using that phrase. But there are some definite signs it could be happening.

If we can break the Scottish striker curse then we will be a force to be reckoned with.

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I whispered the notion we were on the verge of a golden generation a few months back and pretty much got laughed at, so I've deliberately avoided using that phrase. But there are some definite signs it could be happening.

If we can break the Scottish striker curse then we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Absolutely, quarter finals, tits, bum, fanny, the lot. 

10 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Need a goalie too.

A great goal by Paterson for Sheff Wed from a great cross by Palmer. Bannan with an assist...who is also losing his hair.  I'm still always hoping for a Rhodes resurgence to get him in the squad. 

Edited by romanticscot

34 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

A great goal by Paterson for Sheff Wed from a great cross by Palmer. Bannan with an assist...who is also losing his hair.  I'm still always hoping for a Rhodes resurgence to get him in the squad. 

Palmer playing as a right wing back for once. Limited as he is he is probably better than O'Donnell despite what the vast majority on here think.

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Palmer playing as a right wing back for once. Limited as he is he is probably better than O'Donnell despite what the vast majority on here think.

I think they’re similar in quality. Palmer also gives a bit of versatility, has played centre back and left back this season too. Clarke could probably leave out a centre back if he chooses Palmer. 

56 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

https://streamja.com/A0Bwd

Some goal. Didn’t think Paterson had this in him. 

QotS vs. Hibs on BBC Scotland atm. Quite a few promising young Scots on show.

The obvious at Hibs in Doig, Porteous and Nesbitt.

At QotS the Rangers loanees of Dickson (CM) and Maxwell (another LB) are highly rated and have fantastic technique. There is also Mebude and Breen but I'm not sure about those 2 developing further.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

44 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I watched Gauld tonight. He's genuinely so good. 

Created so many chances for himself and others against a good Braga team. He's levels above his team mates. 

Still can't believe Clarke didn't call him up. It was a massive oversight picking too many centre backs and not Gauld in the March fixtures. 

Especially considering 2 of the CBs and a fullback didn't even get used. It really makes me feel like Clarke is only thinking about the immediate future. I'm sure he knows there are 4 or 5 players that are all but guaranteed to be Scotland regulars in the next few years, but he's only focusing on the short term benefits. Like he's got one foot out the door. I'm probably overthinking it, but that is the best logical explanation I can think of to why he wouldn't want to even see these players in training.

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I watched Gauld tonight. He's genuinely so good. 

Created so many chances for himself and others against a good Braga team. He's levels above his team mates. 

Still can't believe Clarke didn't call him up. It was a massive oversight picking too many centre backs and not Gauld in the March fixtures. 

Clear MoM on who scored despite being on losing side (only MBurnie does that)

5 attempts on goal 3 on target (i'll take your word he created most of these himself)

Created 4 chances

3 successful dribbles.

And Important to me and any team that isn't that great,(like us) 2 tackles and 4 interceptions.

Any one who follows stats will know that is a massive contribution for one player.

I do wonder why he didn't get a move in the January transfer window

24 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Especially considering 2 of the CBs and a fullback didn't even get used. It really makes me feel like Clarke is only thinking about the immediate future. I'm sure he knows there are 4 or 5 players that are all but guaranteed to be Scotland regulars in the next few years, but he's only focusing on the short term benefits. Like he's got one foot out the door. I'm probably overthinking it, but that is the best logical explanation I can think of to why he wouldn't want to even see these players in training.

Yeah, I don’t get it. I forgot Taylor was included. 

Another explanation for Gauld is that he hasn’t actually watched him which would be really disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

5 attempts on goal 3 on target (i'll take your word he created most of these himself)

Created 4 chances

3 successful dribbles.

And Important to me and any team that isn't that great,(like us) 2 tackles and 4 interceptions.

Any one who follows stats will know that is a massive contribution for one player.

Yeah, I hope someone creates a video of his highlights from this game. 

I guess because he’s out of contract in the summer. And covid means clubs don’t want to pay transfer fees. 

I doubt Farense would have accepted a fee either, there’s no chance they’re staying up without him. And Gauld himself is probably happy to stay till the Summer - he must want guaranteed minutes and chance of the Scotland squad. 

13 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Another explanation for Gauld is that he hasn’t actually watched him which would be really disappointing. 

Clarke was asked about Gauld when the last squad was announced. Said he was well aware of how well he's playing and has friends in Portugal raving about him.

However he said there is a lot of competition for places in midfield but didn't rule out calling him up if his good form continues. 

20 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't think it's one foot out the door or such. I think it more about the short term view of the EURO's. He's only really brought in new players and long term absentees who Clarke felt could take other players positions. Hanley, Hendry and Adams have come in and jumped ahead of established players. Nesbitt has came in and taken Shankland/Griffiths slot.

While I think Turnbull, Gauld and Gilmour are fantastic technical players and will long term be midfield mainstays. The problem is along with Left back, central midfield is our strongest area of the park. While I'd personally want atleast one of the 3 in the squad, I can see the reasons for Clarke's midfield choices. Fleck, McLean and others are good footballers who have played consistently at high levels, done well and have never really let Scotland down when called upon.

While I can understand his thinking in taking these experienced players over the younger inexperienced guys, I do feel it is very short term thinking. Getting creative players like Turnbull, Gauld and/or Gilmour (& Patterson ahead of Palmer at back up RB) bedded into the squad ahead of the September qualifiers could be key for us in finishing 1st or 2nd over 3rd. Turnbull set piece wise would be a game changer for us and I say that as a Rangers fan. He has absolutely wonderful delivery and that could be a massive difference maker.

FYI I like McLean and Fleck. I think they are good players and they would walk into any other home nations squad/First team (England aside). The problem is they are very similar players and don't offer anything different to McGregor or the like. They don't have that spark I feel our current midfield is missing. Turnbull, Gauld and Gilmour are very different to what we have in midfield and are stylistically more like continental players that like to dominate the ball. 

I hope the EURO's go to 27 players and Clarke takes a chance on a couple of these guys. Even at that you are more likely to see a solid hand, than a Ryan Gauld at the EURO's.

45 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I don't think it's one foot out the door or such. I think it more about the short term view of the EURO's. He's only really brought in new players and long term absentees who Clarke felt could take other players positions. Hanley, Hendry and Adams have come in and jumped ahead of established players. Nesbitt has came in and taken Shankland/Griffiths slot.

While I think Turnbull, Gauld and Gilmour are fantastic technical players and will long term be midfield mainstays. The problem is along with Left back, central midfield is our strongest area of the park. While I'd personally want atleast one of the 3 in the squad, I can see the reasons for Clarke's midfield choices. Fleck, McLean and others are good footballers who have played consistently at high levels, done well and have never really let Scotland down when called upon.

While I can understand his thinking in taking these experienced players over the younger inexperienced guys, I do feel it is very short term thinking. Getting creative players like Turnbull, Gauld and/or Gilmour (& Patterson ahead of Palmer at back up RB) bedded into the squad ahead of the September qualifiers could be key for us in finishing 1st or 2nd over 3rd. Turnbull set piece wise would be a game changer for us and I say that as a Rangers fan. He has absolutely wonderful delivery and that could be a massive difference maker.

FYI I like McLean and Fleck. I think they are good players and they would walk into any other home nations squad/First team (England aside). The problem is they are very similar players and don't offer anything different to McGregor or the like. They don't have that spark I feel our current midfield is missing. Turnbull, Gauld and Gilmour are very different to what we have in midfield and are stylistically more like continental players that like to dominate the ball. 

I hope the EURO's go to 27 players and Clarke takes a chance on a couple of these guys. Even at that you are more likely to see a solid hand, than a Ryan Gauld at the EURO's.

Great post, i totally agree. 

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Saying he has one foot out the door was probably too harsh of me. What is certain is that he is only thinking very short term. Maybe just because he is long in the tooth and knows managers have very short shelf lives these days, so he's prioritising the present. That I can understand, if not condone.

What worried me when the squad was picked was 1. A serious lack of width. 2. No plan C.

It's clear Plan A is a back 3. Plan B is a back 4. What do we do if neither work? Which is likely against the elite teams. This is when you need a moment of magic from a set play or hit them on the counter. Turnbull would have conjoured up at least 1 moment from the bench against Austria and Israel. It's players like that that you need in reserve, not just like for like replacements on the bench.

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Created 4 chances

3 successful dribbles.

According to the Scots Abroad podcast he didn't want to leave Farense mid way through a relegation battle, he is their captain and does owe them a bit for helping him get his career back on track. His contracts up in the summer anyway so he will get his move then. If he played that well against Braga last night they may be first in line again