Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 90 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

Tierney and Robertson both playing 4 games in about 8 days is it? is a bit mental really. 

Both their club managers will probably have plenty to say about that. 

If Clarke had picked at extended squad there would have been more room for rotation. 

Just watched MOTD, didn’t show Tierney going off, no mention of it either. If he was out for a month or so, missed some of Arsenals games then came back fully fit for the Euros it wouldn’t be a bad thing. I’m fearing the worst....

Was just thinking on Wednesday it would be typical of our luck if Tierney got injured.

15 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Good to see Griffiths starting.

Hopefully he scores and gets lots of minutes now and can take McBurnies place in the squad. 

A fit Griffiths is totally worth his place in our squad. 

Forrest should be in the finals squad.

Griffiths won't be anywhere near it. 

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Tierney and Robertson both playing 4 games in about 8 days is it? is a bit mental really. 

Both their club managers will probably have plenty to say about that. 

If Clarke had picked at extended squad there would have been more room for rotation. 

Surely we want to play our best players every meaningful game?

29 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Surely we want to play our best players every meaningful game?

We do. They’ve both gone into a huge game as as soon as they got back and are injured because of it, so their managers will have plenty to say about it I bet

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We do. They’ve both gone into a huge game as as soon as they got back and are injured because of it, so their managers will have plenty to say about it I bet

It was their decision to start each of them, if they thought Tierney or Robertson were injury risks/had played too many games then they shouldn't have played. Can't blame it on Scotland.

Some England players were left out of their club's starting 11s after playing on Wednesday. Stones, Chilwell, Mount.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

I know it was against Cove but Man of the match for Wright on his first start for Rangers and Patterson goal both looked really good.

Wright looked excellent. Only Cove but he had an assist and set up atleast another 4/5 good goal scoring chances. Very quick on the turn and good feet. Looking forward to seeing more of him and have been surprised by how impressive he has been when given a chance. I can understand why Aberdeen fans are so upset now.

Patterson feels like he could grow into a Hutton/Tavernier hybrid in a couple of years. The physique, pace and stride of Hutton, with the skill and technique of Tavernier. 

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Haven’t seen much of Wright but I would have Patterson in the squad, maybe even in the starting line-up for Euros if he impressed in pre-tournament friendlies. Don’t think Clarke will though.

As much as he’s been much maligned in the past, O’Donnell should be in the squad but there’s a really good argument Liam Palmer on current form for Sheffield Wednesday should be dropped for the euros for Patterson if Patterson can play a reasonable number of games (appeal pending) and keep up his form.

Scott Wright looks ready to explode into a really good player at Rangers, he’s really elusive and he’s different from what Scotland have in his position. I could see him adding end product to his game, progressing and getting into the Scotland squad in the next 6-12 months. All be it I think the euros will probably be too soon for him.

Edited by BraveheartGordon
Spelling error

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Haven’t seen much of Wright but I would have Patterson in the squad, maybe even in the starting line-up for Euros if he impressed in pre-tournament friendlies. Don’t think Clarke will though.

Patterson's already a year older than Tierney was when he made is Scotland debut and roughly the same age as Robertson was. Definitely worth giving him a run out.

37 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Patterson's already a year older than Tierney was when he made is Scotland debut and roughly the same age as Robertson was. Definitely worth giving him a run out.

Those 2 along with McGinn were integrated into the squad early and we are now reaping the benefits. These 3 are now some of our most capped, influential and experienced players. Usually you're lucky if a Scotland player has 30 caps by the time they are hitting 30.

On a side note for people who talk about a lack of games and not being ready, etc. Tierney had only played about 10/12 more games than Patterson has when Tierney got his first Scotland call up. Potentially I see Patterson in a similar level to Tierney. I feel Gilmour and Turnbull also have the potential to reach a similar level as KT and should be in the squad as well.

Turnbull aside I don't see any of them making the squad, even if it goes to 27 players. Clarke is a very cautious manager and I don't think he'd be willing to take the risk of bringing that many young inexperienced players. I personally don't agree with that thinking and feel it's a very short term view. Going to that tournament would be an invaluable experience for these guys and would integrate these lads into the squad. Hopefully if it does go to 27 players, Clarke takes all 3.

I see no real reason to take Palmer over Patterson, other than to reward him for turning up to most squads. Palmer is in his late 20s, hasn't really performed well for us and has been poor for his club this season. Patterson on the hand is a young promising RB. Who has performed well against a better calibre of player and is absolutely flying with confidence at the minute.

7 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Those 2 along with McGinn were integrated into the squad early and we are now reaping the benefits. These 3 are now some of our most capped, influential and experienced players. Usually you're lucky if a Scotland player has 30 caps by the time they are hitting 30.

On a side note for people who talk about a lack of games and not being ready, etc. Tierney had only played about 10/12 more games than Patterson has when Tierney got his first Scotland call up. Potentially I see Patterson in a similar level to Tierney. I feel Gilmour and Turnbull also have the potential to reach a similar level as KT and should be in the squad as well.

Turnbull aside I don't see any of them making the squad, even if it goes to 27 players. Clarke is a very cautious manager and I don't think he'd be willing to take the risk of bringing that many young inexperienced players. I personally don't agree with that thinking and feel it's a very short term view. Going to that tournament would be an invaluable experience for these guys and would integrate these lads into the squad. Hopefully if it does go to 27 players, Clarke takes all 3.

I see no real reason to take Palmer over Patterson, other than to reward him for turning up to most squads. Palmer is in his late 20s, hasn't really performed well for us and has been poor for his club this season. Patterson on the hand is a young promising RB. Who has performed well against a better calibre of player and is absolutely flying with confidence at the minute.

.... and people were saying 6 months ago he should demand a transfer. 

Get Patterson in the squad for Palmer ASAP FFS.

Loyalty is one thing but realistically why do we need the likes of Palmer & Fleck (Fleck is good but they are both about 30).

Get Patterson, Gilmour, Turnbull & Gauld in the next squad and leave out Palmer, Fleck & McBurnie

10 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I doubt any of the young players you mentioned will be in the Euros squad. Turnbull might if we have an injury crisis.

But the amount of players of such a high quality that have already broken through is frightening. We are not talking about the likes of following Harper at Real Madrid anymore, hoping he'd be good enough. We are talking about Gilmour who has a dozen starts at Chelsea already, Patterson being lauded by Gerrard, Turnbull easily the best player at Celtic the last few months, Hickey starting in the Serie A regularly, to name a few. These guys have already shown they are/will be good enough for Scotland and, rightly or wrongly, can't even get in the squad. 

I'd like most of those players in now, but it is incredibly encouraging that we have that calibre of player being added to the talent pool every season and will hopefully go on to star for Scotland.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I doubt any of the young players you mentioned will be in the Euros squad. Turnbull might if we have an injury crisis.

But the amount of players of such a high quality that have already broken through is frightening. We are not talking about the likes of following Harper at Real Madrid anymore, hoping he'd be good enough. We are talking about Gilmour who has a dozen starts at Chelsea already, Patterson being lauded by Gerrard, Turnbull easily the best player at Celtic the last few months, Hickey starting in the Serie A regularly, to name a few. These guys have already shown they are/will be good enough for Scotland and, rightly or wrongly, can't even get in the squad. 

I'd like most of those players in now, but it is incredibly encouraging that we have that calibre of player being added to the talent pool every season and will hopefully go on to star for Scotland.

Yes, and the ones already in the squad are still all fairly young. The next 5-10 years could be something of a golden era, especially if we can find a top class keeper and striker.