Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 84 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Really? Just hope Celtic appoint a top manager, that's the only way that Christie, etc, will develop. 

A manager should show loyalty and keep a certain consistency, but there's no reason why Gauld, Gilmour or even Turnbull missed out on the correct squad.

The commentators are loving Gilmour. Steve Wilson: "He just has it", and Martin Keown: "He's a bit special".

Steve Clarke missed a trick. Gilmour, or even one of the aforementioned names, should've been in the squad.

He might get called in now that Jack seems doubtful? But yes, Christie looks really out of sorts. 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He might get called in now that Jack seems doubtful? But yes, Christie looks really out of sorts. 

Hopefully. Not that I want Jack to pull out, but it is what it is.

That's disappointing. Knowing Clarke, Christie will probably start against Austria. 

27 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Really? Just hope Celtic appoint a top manager, that's the only way that Christie, etc, will develop. 

A manager should show loyalty and keep a certain consistency, but there's no reason why Gauld, Gilmour or even Turnbull missed out on the correct squad.

The commentators are loving Gilmour. Steve Wilson: "He just has it", and Martin Keown: "He's a bit special".

Steve Clarke missed a trick. Gilmour, or even one of the aforementioned names, should've been in the squad.

Christie will be gone in the summer. 12 months left on his deal and he isn't signing a new deal. 

Playing like he's trying to lower his transfer fee.

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Christie will be gone in the summer. 12 months left on his deal and he isn't signing a new deal. 

Playing like he's trying to lower his transfer fee.

I thought Christie was ok today, and expect him to be fine for Scotland. I’ll be delighted if he moves in the summer. 

20 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I thought Christie was ok today, and expect him to be fine for Scotland. I’ll be delighted if he moves in the summer. 

He needs to move.

We was a waste of a shirt today. Taking Turnbull off instead of Christie summed up our season. 

We can debate who should and shouldn't start v Austria all we like but when the squad turn up next week Steve Clarke will see who impresses in training and go from there . 

National team managers have a team in their heads barring 1 or 2 and wait on injuries etc  before deciding their starting line up 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

He needs to move.

We was a waste of a shirt today. Taking Turnbull off instead of Christie summed up our season. 

I suspect this is a Celtic internal matter. He was by no means their worst player today, and played two brilliant passes that could have resulted in goals. Turnbull didn’t have a better game than he did, for example. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

He needs to move.

Thought Christie was quite poor as game wore on by his standards. That said he is always trying to create and his work ethic is exceptional

Watched most of the oldfirm / Glasgow derby today as well as Chelsea Sheffield Utd.

A lot of talk of late about the exclusion of Turbull in particular and while I’m a fan, Gilmour at Chelsea is on a different level.

Really think we need him in the squad now as he’s a superstar in the making.

yes he hasn’t played as regularly as any of us would want but he’s playing at one of the biggest clubs in Europe. If he’d been at Celtic / Rangers / Norwich or Sheffield Utd he’d have played 30 odd games this season. 

6 hours ago, broraboy said:

Is Ryan Jack currently injured + likely to miss all 3 Scotland games or could he potentially return for the last two games ?

If I were to guess, I'd say that he'll pull out of the squad tomorrow. He's had a niggling injury for about a month now.

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

I expect Scott Wright to break into the Scotland squad next season. I knew he had pace and could beat a man, but he is actually a class player. A proper footballer that understands the game. He’s bulked up considerably since his transfer. Aberdeen fans may want to consider why that was necessary. 

That's the thing with Aberdeen under Derek McInnes, they played truly awful, long ball football. It's difficult to gauge how good a player is when they're playing such brutal football. 

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I expect Scott Wright to break into the Scotland squad next season. I knew he had pace and could beat a man, but he is actually a class player. A proper footballer that understands the game. He’s bulked up considerably since his transfer. Aberdeen fans may want to consider why that was necessary. 

Was a strange one. Similar to them letting Ryan Fraser leave for peanuts, which McInnes said at the time he wouldn’t let happen again. 

Edited by bigfingers

17 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He was so good when he came on today. Lots of potential. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's the thing with Aberdeen under Derek McInnes, they played truly awful, long ball football. It's difficult to gauge how good a player is when they're playing such brutal football. 

How do you know that? You tell us you never watch Scottish football.

I thought Christie played ok today. Setup two good chances. Cant remember Turnbull doing a single thing of note.

Gilmour yet again was on a different level. Nothing to hit the highlight reel but everything he does ozzes class. I would go as far as saying that he wouldnt look out of place in the Barca midfield. His awareness is off the chart.

46 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I thought Christie played ok today. Setup two good chances. Cant remember Turnbull doing a single thing of note.

Gilmour yet again was on a different level. Nothing to hit the highlight reel but everything he does ozzes class. I would go as far as saying that he wouldnt look out of place in the Barca midfield. His awareness is off the chart.

Think that's Lyndon Dykes you're thinking of. 😁

According to reports, Gauld was excellent again yesterday as Farense beat Boavista.  He won a penalty, which he then missed - it was a good save.

The win takes them out of the relegation zone.  There is 9 points between 8th and 18th in that league so will be an interesting end of season for Gauld. 

I still think Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour all improve our squad. 

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

According to reports, Gauld was excellent again yesterday as Farense beat Boavista.  He won a penalty, which he then missed - it was a good save.

The win takes them out of the relegation zone.  There is 9 points between 8th and 18th in that league so will be an interesting end of season for Gauld. 

He's been a stand out all season. Didn't see yesterday's match, but I've seen him more tha a dozen times. He's been comparable to the best players in the league.

It's shocking to me that he isn't in the squad. Same with Turnbull and Gilmour.

Gilmour might only be 19, but his technical ability is far greater than anyone we have. Not only should he be fast tracked, he would be in my first XI.

29 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Clarke was just saying that he doesn't understand the clamour to bring in lots of new faces. That the WC qualifiers is not the right time to do it. He also said that Gilmour, for example, has 15 years ahead of him to break into the squad.

That's quite disheartening to hear. I'm perfectly happy with the lotalty aspect, but not at the expense of better players.

Turnbull, for instance, won young player of the year and has been a stand out performer for months. Although only 21, he has shown that he is ready for the step up. Gilmour is lacking game time, but we can all see that he is more than ready to be called upon regardless of the opposition.