Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 72 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

All the players listed are far superior players to McBurnie, or are more effective at what they do - Paterson being an example of a big lump who runs around but actually scores (something McBurnie can’t do).

Currently they are all much of a ordinary muchness I'm afraid. McBurnie has had a poor season & is struggling for confidence but if we could fast forward 12 months my money would be on him out scoring the rest of them & also being close to the top of the championship leading scorers list.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Currently they are all much of a ordinary muchness I'm afraid. McBurnie has had a poor season & is struggling for confidence but if we could fast forward 12 months my money would be on him out scoring the rest of them & also being close to the top of the championship leading scorers list.

Only if he moves or Sheffield United change their formation.

He's getting typecast as a player you can stick up front a punt the ball at, that's not the way Barnsley and Swansea played him when he scored 31 goals in the Championship.

Unfortunately Scotland play in a similar way to Sheffield United so he is never going to look good for us.

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Only if he moves or Sheffield United change their formation.

He's getting typecast as a player you can stick up front a punt the ball at, that's not the way Barnsley and Swansea played him when he scored 31 goals in the Championship.

Unfortunately Scotland play in a similar way to Sheffield United so he is never going to look good for us.

You might be right though i would imagine Sheff Utd will play a different style in that far inferior championship. 

I see Dykes was dropped to the bench yesterday. It's no good being a centre forward who does all the right things if you can't score as well. The really worrying thing is that, Turnbull and McTom. apart, our midfielders are not scoring heavily either: McGinn is playing too deep, Christie is out of form, and Jack (although he has weighed in with some excellent goals this season) is a defensive mid. Terrible that Paterson (one T) is looking our most likely number nine right now😒.

Edited by Third Lanark

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I see Dykes was dropped to the bench yesterday. It's no good being a centre forward who does all the right things if you can't score as well. The really worrying thing is that, Turnbull and McTom. apart, our midfielders are not scoring heavily either: McGinn is playing too deep, Christie is out of form, and Jack (although he has weighed in with some excellent goals this season) is a defensive mid. Terrible that Paterson (one T) is looking our most likely number nine right now😒.

Clarke better have something up his sleeve or else we could go a run of games without scoring. 

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Only a sats site but Who Scored gave Grant Hanley MoM for his contribution to Norwich's clean sheet against Wycombe.

No matter what you think of stats, but if they make Hanley the best central defender in the championship and the fourth best player in the league he must be having a half decent season.

On who scored Shane Duffy is rated the 8th best player in the SPL. 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Only a sats site but Who Scored gave Grant Hanley MoM for his contribution to Norwich's clean sheet against Wycombe.

No matter what you think of stats, but if they make Hanley the best central defender in the championship and the fourth best player in the league he must be having a half decent season.

Clarke might have a bit of a headache picking our centre backs. Guys like hendry and Hanley deserve a shot plus McKenna might be back from injury soon. 

17 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

On who scored Shane Duffy is rated the 8th best player in the SPL. 

Looking at his match stats he was awful against Rangers twice, Ac Milan, Slavia Prague, Lille and Aberdeen.

His overall rating is high because of his man of the match performances against Ross County, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Livingston.

I think he would be a pretty good player in a pub league.

Guest ElChris04

Sean Rooney scores the only goal to secure victory over Livingston to help St Johnstone win the Scottish League Cup.  Yet again another fine performance from the man stepping up for his club. 

I said on here before he should be a name definitely worth considering over a badly out of from O’Donnell aswell as Palmer. And again today he stakes another claim why he absolutely should be at least considered.

He’s the currently the most in form scottish RWB/RB atm, if we are going to call up players on club form he should be a name in the pipeline, I get Clarke has a system and will be loyal to a few, but still there’s a line when a player is constantly delivering. 

He and Patterson would be my 2 right wing backs for the March games before the euros, but I do suspect Clarke will remain loyal to O’Donnell. But at the very least move Palmer out for one of those two. 

Edited by ElChris04

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Sean Rooney scores the only goal to secure victory over Livingston to help St Johnstone win the Scottish League Cup.  Yet again another fine performance from the man stepping up for his club. 

I said on here before he should be a name definitely worth considering over a badly out of from O’Donnell aswell as Palmer. And again today he stakes another claim why he absolutely should be at least considered.

He’s the currently the most in form scottish RWB/RB atm, if we are going to call up players on club form he should be a name in the pipeline, I get Clarke has a system and will be loyal to a few, but still there’s a line when a player is constantly delivering. 

He and Patterson would be my 2 right wing backs for the March games before the euros, but I do suspect Clarke will remain loyal to O’Donnell. But at the very least move Palmer out for one of those two. 

Totally agree. He looked excellent even apart from his goal. What did someone call him, the Belshill Cafu? does remind me a bit of Hutton though. As an aside Jason Kerr had a great match and maybe should be considered for a Cn position. Very happy for Calum Davidson, always liked him as our left back before it became fashionable to have a Scottish left back.

20 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Totally agree. He looked excellent even apart from his goal. What did someone call him, the Belshill Cafu? does remind me a bit of Hutton though. As an aside Jason Kerr had a great match and maybe should be considered for a Cn position. Very happy for Calum Davidson, always liked him as our left back before it became fashionable to have a Scottish left back.

His Wikipedia has been hi jacked it’s worth a look just now 🤣

2 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

I agree, he looks like he could play RWB or perhaps on the right side of the back 3, allowing McTominay to move forward into midfield. His physicality, pace, engine would be of benefit to the team. He looks too good for St Johnston (no disrespect), wouldn’t be surprised if he moves to a bigger club in the summer.

Kierney getting MoM for the worst Gooner defense this century. Sort we need. 
heard Klopp mention Robbo , and just shrug whistfully , and that’s what I got from the radio interview. The spine is there. Just need the pubs keeping shut. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Sheffield United v Liverpool tonight.

Robertson was good at left back, Fleck is probably Sheffield Uniteds best player, Burke looks a bit more effective yet raw and McBurnie was exactly as he has been all season. 

When can we stop calling Burke raw?

McBurnie won 12 headers and lost nearly as many, Dumb tactics will never show us if he is any good

Edited by ceudmilefailte

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

When can we stop calling Burke raw?

McBurnie won 12 headers and lost nearly as many, Dumb tactics will never show us if he is any good

Being raw is going to follow him till retirement! 

He’s quite average but has power and pace but that’s it. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Being raw is going to follow him till retirement! 

He’s quite average but has power and pace but that’s it. 

I do think he’s athletic and quick enough to be a useful squad member. The early price and Red bull put pressure on but still like him being about . 

12 hours ago, Shaundy said:

I do think he’s athletic and quick enough to be a useful squad member. The early price and Red bull put pressure on but still like him being about . 

Think he could do with dropping down a level or 2 and then trying to build back up from there. Doesn't look like he's confident of scoring when on the ball. Still only 23 so time yet.